What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Gagai weeps over grandmother's passing

1qaz

Juniors
http://wwos.ninemsn.com.au/2016/05/16/09/49/gagai-weeps-over-grandmothers-death

Newcastle fullback Dane Gagai’s family have revealed the real reason for his tears following the Knights' loss to Cronulla – he was mourning the loss of his grandmother just hours before the game.
The Knights star broke down and wept on the shoulder of teammate Tariq Sims in the aftermath of the side's 62-0 thumping to the Sharks, prompting commentators to suggest he was upset by the heavy defeat.
Gagai spoke briefly after the game to admit he was overcome by the fact it was indigenous round round and that he had many family members at the match.
However, a Gagai family member has told Wide World of Sports the star was in fact shattered by the passing of his paternal grandmother on Sunday morning.
The family were upset by reports Gagai's post-match tears were because of the Knights' loss with comments on social media criticising the Newcastle No.1 for his emotions adding to their grief.
The family member said Gagai's grandmother had died suddenly on Sunday morning, leaving the extended family in deep shock.
"Dane is definitely not one to cry over a football game. He was extremely close to his grandmother and she passed away yesterday morning before the game," the family member said.
Striker breaks 66-year record with sublime goal

Napoli striker Gonzalo Higuain has broken the 66-year goal scoring record for Serie A in style with a spectacular bicycle kick to top off a hat-trick in the final game of the season.

Grieving Sea Eagle's touching tribute to mum

Sea Eagle Darcy Lussick has shown extraordinary courage to face the Broncos after revealing he played just days after the death of his mother.

'His head's too big sir ... it should be a penalty'

Brisbane Bronco Sam Thaiday has taken on the role of NRL jokester after letting rip with a hilarious sledge aimed at Sea Eagles rival Nate Myles.

Watery hat-trick sinks Scottish pro at Players

Scotland's Russell Knox endured a hole to forget when he knocked three balls into the water at the seventeenth at the Players Championship.

Taupau in hot water for nasty flipping tackle

Manly enforcer Martin Taupau is on hot water after being placed on report for a nasty flipping tackle on Matt Gillett during the Sea Eagles’ heavy loss to Brisbane.

"So it was an extremely tough game for him and obviously all the praise to him for even taking the field yesterday afternoon.
"It's be an extremely tough time."
The family member, who did not wish to be identified, said reports the 25-year-old was upset by the loss had hit a raw nerve.
"It's making Dane out to be a crook and that he's crying over a football game when obviously it goes a whole lot deeper than that."
Gagai was among Newcastle's best players in a badly beaten side and narrowly missed out on a consolation try just before fulltime.
He fell to his haunches and began sobbing after the final siren before being consoled by Sims.
Speaking afterwards, Gagai kept the true reason for his emotions to himself.
"It'’s a tough one, it’s a tough pill to swallow,” he told Fox Sports.
"Especially at home, had all the fans turn up, indigenous round, we had everything to play for.
"We’re going to go through some tough times before we go through good."

What a champ. He felt like he let everyone down yesterday. Make him captain. Thoughts Fred?

Spot On

Coach
A lot to ask from Gagai and Lussick this weekend. Understandably, neither could have had their minds on the job. Big eftorts.

Frederick

Staff member
The family member, who did not wish to be identified

Does Dane know you blabbed to the media or did you go behind his back?

Gagai was among Newcastle's best players in a badly beaten side

Highest paid? Yes. Best? Definitely not. I still maintain that given the circumstances he should've withdrawn from the game. He was obviously not in the right frame of mind. If a close family member to me died hours before I start work, you better believe I'm not going to work because I won't be in the right headspace

1qaz

Juniors
Gagai crying. f**k off. I'm sure he won't be crying when $50k lands in his bank account this month.

f**king useless merkin

Still waiting for an apology Fred you disrespectful @#$!

perverse

Referee
So you're the boss on how people should grieve then, Fred. Ridiculous. If he wanted to play, he should play. Hell, in a better team his teammates might have actually rallied around him. He did no worse than any other option we can put forward, and we're hardly in a position where we can turn a fit and experienced back down on game day.

I applaud him for showing up and doing his best under the circumstances. He was trying to help his teammates. It's somewhat unbelievable to me that you continue to stick the boot in.

After the game there was a aura of grieving. Sharks fans were even a little unsure what had just gone down. I think they were pretty respectful when they could have been arseholes about it. As for us well it was distressing to see it all unfold. Gags deserves his time to grieve like anyone else. If indeed his Grandmother has passed then may she Rest In Peace.

Last edited:

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
I feel for the kid, but he shouldnt have been playing...

His head obviously wasnt in it and, if he showed up to keep his mind off it, we not a f*cking psych service. He could have had a run in reserves or just had the week off.

Its just unprofessional from everyone involved.

Frederick

Staff member
So you're the boss on how people should grieve then, Fred. Ridiculous. If he wanted to play, he should play. Hell, in a better team his teammates might have actually rallied around him. He did no worse than any other option we can put forward, and we're hardly in a position where we can turn a fit and experienced back down on game day.

I applaud him for showing up and doing his best under the circumstances. He was trying to help his teammates. It's somewhat unbelievable to me that you continue to stick the boot in.

I've already said I feel for him with the loss of his grandmother. Losing a family member is never easy, and obviously people choose to cope in different ways.

But in saying that, rugby league is no longer a sport - it's a business. And Dane gets paid a lot of money to play at the top of his game, which he obviously didn't do on Sunday and (now) we all know why. You think he was doing the best thing by himself and his teammates on Sunday - that's fine. But I don't. I think that by playing with something huge and heavy weighing on his mind, he wasn't able to play to his potential, and he ended up doing a disservice to his teammates, to the coaching staff, to the club and to the fans.

You may not like or agree my opinion, and that's fine. Many won't, but there are many who will.

Caped Crusader

Juniors
Highest paid? Yes. Best? Definitely not. I still maintain that given the circumstances he should've withdrawn from the game. He was obviously not in the right frame of mind. If a close family member to me died hours before I start work, you better believe I'm not going to work because I won't be in the right headspace

Can't agree with you here mate. Aside from holding the ball a couple of times when he might have been better passing it, Dane was pretty darn good in a team of plodders yesterday. Fella tried his guts out when others didn't

Maybe you need to Wiki the word stubborn .....

1qaz

Juniors
Can't agree with you here mate. Aside from holding the ball a couple of times when he might have been better passing it, Dane was pretty darn good in a team of plodders yesterday. Fella tried his guts out when others didn't

Maybe you need to Wiki the word stubborn .....

Dane gave Sione plenty of good early ball yesterday.
I wonder where Sione will eventually end up?
Sione struggles to break the line even in his juniors he was more of a barge over carrying defenders close to the line sort of player.

Spot On

Coach
Your grandmother as well iqaz?

I should point out that the above question is a sincere one and if in fact Dane and iqaz are related (cousins I believe was written in here) then obviously there is a fair chance iqaz should be receiving condolences for his loss as well.

Spot On

Coach
Well iqaz hasn't really backed his claims up after being asked about them previously, over a long period of time and on multiple ocassions, and he has refused to answer some queries as to why he doesn't watch the Knights games when he has a cousin playing for them. This also begs the question of how he seemingly knows a lot of what happens in the Knights game from week to week without watching it.

This of course raises scepticism about him and possibly makes him an object of ridicule.

He could easily put it all to bed with some simple answers.

Spot On

Coach
As I said, there's a good chance you are grieving the loss of a grandmother as well. My condolences if this is the case.

Latest posts