What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Gallop - Real estate cap scam detected

DJ1

Juniors
Last night on NRL on Fox, David Gallop was questioned by the team on potential cap scams.

When asked about the potential for a player to be given a piece of real estate as part of the deal to play with a club, Gallop indicated that the NRL had already found one instance of this type of breach.

There has been nothing reported in the media about a breach of this type or which club is involved.

It is possible that the NRL either wishes to deal with this quietly and out of the media or the club has the ability to rectify the breach by the end of the season by offloading existing talent mid season thereby reducing it's salary cap exposure to accommodate the size of the breach within it's "reported" salary cap expenditure.

The big question then becomes,

Which teams (if any) have offloaded any players mid season?

This does not include anyone being released at the end of the season, it would have to be mid-season releases only.

The player(s) released would not necessarily be the players involved with the real estate property, but the approx value of them would give an indication of the amount of the breach which was required to be legitimately covered.

skeepe

Immortal
The Sharks offloaded Lomu who I'm lead to believe was on quite a high salary (250K+) when he was signed due to his status as a premiership-winning player.

The Roosters offloaded Firman (220K Source: SMH) to the Cowboys, and will continue to pay his salary for the rest of the year while the Cowboys get him for free. They will also subsidise his contract for the remaining 2 years of his Cowboys contract.

bartman

Immortal
Correct me if I'm wrong, but such ongoing payments as those by the Roosters for Firman still count under the cap?

Could a club also rectify a (potential) breach by never playing certin players in first grade all season, thereby counting other (leeser paid junior) players in their final season cap?

m0j0

Bench
bartman said:
Correct me if I'm wrong, but such ongoing payments as those by the Roosters for Firman still count under the cap?
As long as the amount paid is within the top 25 highest payments, then yes.

bartman said:
Could a club also rectify a (potential) breach by never playing certin players in first grade all season, thereby counting other (leeser paid junior) players in their final season cap?
Again, if a player's contract ranks in the top 25 in value, then it counts towards the cap, regardless of whether he plays first grade or not (I think).

Fairfax

Juniors
Poor DJ1, 2002 still hurts doesn't it?

No doubt you have a view... Who do you think it is?

DJ1

Juniors
bartman said:

If it is true the Roosters are still paying his contract then it would count under the cap. If it is true they are paying 100% of his 2005 contract then you would have to exclude Firman from this as it would be a mid season release but not as far as the salary cap is concerned.

Definitely! If they do not play in first grade they are not counted at all. The NRL made the change last year to the secondary cap. It was $500K for all players outside of your 25 man squad, it was changed to $300K for those outside the 25 man squad who play first grade and unlimited for those that don't. It gave an incredible benefit to those cashed up clubs who want to buy juniors. You could theoretically buy every first grade player at their current value and still be under the cap by not playing them in first grade.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
This thread is sailing close to the wind and is one step away from disappearing. No unsourced claims please.
DJ1, if you want to continue on with these cap threads, perhaps you should camp yourself in Controversy Corner.

Cockadoodledoo

First Grade
Joes Milk Bar said:
did gallop even say the breach was this year

if a=b then c=d and if c=d then e=f

I think the above quote is extremely relevant. What is to say that this didn't occur a couple of years ago?

Joes Milk Bar

Juniors
skeepe said:
The Sharks offloaded Lomu who I'm lead to believe was on quite a high salary (250K+) when he was signed due to his status as a premiership-winning player.

The Roosters offloaded Firman (220K Source: SMH) to the Cowboys, and will continue to pay his salary for the rest of the year while the Cowboys get him for free. They will also subsidise his contract for the remaining 2 years of his Cowboys contract.
sharks offloaded lomu cos he was sh*thouse, roosters same

this thread is rubbish

Razor

Coach
Since it was kept secret and never has been in the past, I'm guessing it will be 1 of the 3 News Ltd owned clubs

Kiwi

First Grade
Razor said:
Since it was kept secret and never has been in the past, I'm guessing it will be 1 of the 3 News Ltd owned clubs

Of course you would.

Razor

Coach
Kiwi said:
Of course you would.

Well what other reason would it be kept quiet for? Every other time - the Bulldogs, Roosters, Panthers, Warriors, Knights, Dragons, etc. it has always been made public. This hasn't been. There must be a reason.

Kiwi

First Grade
Razor said:
Well what other reason would it be kept quiet for? Every other time - the Bulldogs, Roosters, Panthers, Warriors, Knights, Dragons, etc. it has always been made public. This hasn't been. There must be a reason.

The Bulldogs were busted by the media not the NRL. The others are minor breaches that aren't even news worthy.

It could be one of 14 NRL teams.

Latest posts