What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Galloway

sando88

Not a Moderator
hes a certainty for a bench spot.. perfect impact player

start with the experience of kite and bailey

N.C.

Juniors
keithgalloway_wideweb__470x305,0.jpg
Quiet achiever … Keith Galloway limbers up at Cronulla Beach yesterday.
Photo: James Alcock

Every magician needs a prop, and for every spellbinding Marshall there's a Galloway

Glenn Jackson | April 28, 2009

GIVEN a 108 kilogram body dominated by fiery red hair and freckles and a name that suggests the ordinary, it's perhaps easy to see why Keith Galloway doesn't quite manage to dominate a headline even after he dominates a game.
Benji Marshall, possessing a much better name for such things, produced 20 minutes of magic on Sunday afternoon - he owned the day with his irresistible mix of flashness and brashness. Coach and captain lauded the magician, but they also were at pains to praise Galloway, the bloke who ensured Marshall was given every opportunity to enchant.
"I don't mind," Galloway said yesterday. "I've never been one for the limelight, anyway. I'll leave that to him. He's a good mate of mine, and I love playing with him. I'll just be happy to get the two points - although a premiership at the end of the year would be good."
Galloway might just be the antithesis of Marshall; big and powerful rather than lightweight and light on his feet. He hasn't walked down any catwalks and hasn't been handed the keys to Lotuses. There might just be more ink on his body (his last name over his heart, a cross on his right arm and a combination of the Southern Cross, a Scottish thistle and an Irish emblem on his back to signify his heritage) than there has been ink on newspaper pages screaming that Galloway has won a game for the Tigers.
Still, Galloway's shadow is beginning to loom as large over the game as it does over his loungeroom; he is one of the form front-rowers in the competition, and while Marshall set up two tries on Sunday and kicked the winning conversion, receiving the $1000 cheque for being Channel Nine man of the match, Galloway earned the dressing-room award as players' player.
"I always believed in myself that I could play to a good level but I just think hard work in the off-season … I was in the gym a lot because I had surgery on my foot, and after Christmas I started running, and once I felt comfortable doing that, I pushed it pretty hard," he said.
"Everyone always says our forward pack's not that big, but we've got a lot of guys making good yards, and our defence in the middle is improving. We're confident in what we can do.
"But it's only seven rounds into it. We've started seasons very well before, and capitulated towards of the end of the season."
While Marshall might be Sheens's special player, Galloway is his special project - being an old front-rower himself, the coach attempts to single the prop out for advice regularly.
"Tim, being an old front-rower, he's always giving me hints each week - what lines to run and defensive tips - he's been good," Galloway said.
A St George junior, Galloway was graded at Cronulla, debuting in the NRL as a 17-year-old. But as happens with many front-rowers, especially the really big boppers, he wasn't able to take full advantage of his obvious size advantage. Until now.
Galloway was last week named in the NSW 40-man squad, and says he's ready to turn that potential in the sky blue of Cronulla into a NSW jumper of the same colour.
"It's always good getting mentioned with those sort of players and that sort of stuff, but if that happens it happens - I'll just keep trying to play as good footy as I can, and if I'm good enough I'll be there," Galloway said. "I always remember watching the old Origins - plenty of late nights staying up and watching all of that. I remember all the old fights …
"Once you get a good mixture of fitness, speed and strength - I'm never going to be the quickest bloke, but you've got to work on all parts of your game, and then train hard and play hard."

http://www.leaguehq.com.au/news/lhqnews/galloway-making-his-mark/2009/04/27/1240684400316.html

TimmyB

Juniors
For the same reason Ennis might get the nod over Farah, Galloway is a certainty. The press are well and truly behind him. If he can get over the top of Hannant, or even just have good games this week and in city country then he's close to a certainty.

It's very exciting that we could potentially have 3 blokes playing for NSW this year.

Last edited:

tiger_nick

Bench
he'll start for city. all the other props are country. kite, bailey, perry, poore (is helensburgh city or country?), weyman etc

if he matches it with them then i can't see them leaving him off the blues bench

TimmyB

Juniors
Hmm, interesting. I wonder how many of the Country blokes they'll pick. Kite might play for Austrlalia. That would leave Perry, Weyman, Poore, Bailey and any other country boys might miss out. I wonder what they'd have done if Cross wasn't injured and Kite didn't get picked for Australia...

I suppose the city props will be Galloway, O'Meley, Clinton and Gibbs?

tiger_nick

Bench
Hmm, interesting. I wonder how many of the Country blokes they'll pick. Kite might play for Austrlalia. That would leave Perry, Weyman, Poore, Bailey and any other country boys might miss out. I wonder what they'd have done if Cross wasn't injured and Kite didn't get picked for Australia...

I suppose the city props will be Galloway, O'Meley, Clinton and Gibbs?

they'll probably swing it and make poore play for the city so everyone gets a go. similar to when they wanted o'mealey and orford to play but already had a sh*tload of country players in their position....so they said gosford was included as part of city just so they could have a look at them in a rep game :lol: the fixture really is a joke.

N.C.

Juniors
A question for you stats freaks...

Does anyone know what the ratio of points scored by the tigers is when Keith is on and the field compared to when he is off it? What about points scored against?

From my punters-eye view from the couch, it seems we always fall behind as soon as he leaves the paddock, and then we start to work our way back in once he comes back on.

What do we have to do to get another front line prop in the team???

westie

Bench
Isn't this the same Galloway people wanted out because he wasn't living up to potential? The same Galloway who was on ludicrous money... 220k FFS!??!?! Should have booted him when we had the chance.

I've never thought Galloway was a waste of money. He had potential with a capital POTENTIAL from the moment I saw him play for Cronulla and I was very happy when we signed him. Hopoate put him back a little while but he's awesome now.

A game against Cronulla in 2006, Galloway made 170+ meters in attack, and was probably the best player on the field that day. From there I saw what he could do, and I just wanted the club to hold onto him. in 2007, he put in some very good performances, but was inconsistent. In 2008, he got a bit of consistency in his game, and was playing to the level of a starting prop. With our lack of depth and the improvement he was showing, we had to re-sign him. He's gone up another level this year, and has put himself into the origin picture. Bailey, Kite, Weyman and Galloway, 3 of those 4 at least will be picked if NSW are fair dinkum. I'd start Bull and Kite (based on their rep experience) and bring Galloway and Weyman into the game later from the bench.

N.C.

Juniors
Always rated Galloway, but had been frustrated with his lack of leg drive and minimal game time. He's maturing with each game played. He's not only a solid metres man, but he's developing a real presence on the field.

Farah, Galloway, Ellis, Payten, Heighington, Galea. Why wouldn't you want to run with this pack? If Gibbs doesn't step up, and we can't hook another prop for next year, I'll be more concerned than ever about our coaching and recruitment capabilities.