What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Game Day Spoilers Section

mightyboy

Juniors
Haha, this thread is funny. Sorry for the trouble guys, forget it. I was just making a suggestion as to how I thought the site could be slightly improved. If it's going to cause too much trouble, it's not worth it. I just thought it would be worth a shot to put the idea out there, as I've come here a few times and wished I could read the threads without knowing the score until it is revealed within the thread.

I'm obviously in the minority, but I believe there is a little niche of people here would we appreciate the change. If you could cater to this niche, you might get a small boost in support for your site.

Thanks to those of you who can see my perspective. I think a few in here are jumping to conclusions without trying to actually understand what I am requesting and why. To simply say it's a spoilers section so it should be packed full of as many spoilers as possible, just because, is a little silly. Ok, so I'm exaggerating here, but I hope you get my point.

Danish, I enjoyed your contribution. Yes, I am actually quite proficient with the squinty eye trick! I've used it many times when clicking the live scores on the right hand side of the page and attempting to read the commentary minute by minute without first seeing the score. I just find it so much more interesting that knowing the result straight away. Unfortunately it's become a little more difficult to do this lately with the new tabbed live score pages, and the fact that when the page refreshes every minute it jumps back up to the top drives me a little mad too.

Anyway... I did my best... I put the idea out there. I will continue to persist in trying to read threads without seeing the score (which is at the top of every page), or perhaps I'll look elsewhere. Haven't been to Matt O's site in a while, and really don't want to go there to see if it's any better. Haha.

Thanks for a good site here anyway.

Cheers.

Oh wait, one final thing. Timmah mentioned he actively goes through to update the thread title after each game to add the score. So it's also interesting to note that the change I am requesting to make wouldn't even be any more work for anyone, it would actually be less work ;)

perverse

Referee
I haven't read the big post above me yet, but I like the scores in the thread titles, it helps me decide which threads to bother reading and I also use it to do a quick around the grounds. I want it kept as is for those reasons alone.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
Less work? Under 5 seconds tbh, not a big deal.

I'd be interested to know how long after the games you're checking the threads with these desires to not see the score - I find it surprising you wouldn't know the score by the next morning :?

That's because there is no reason, some people just can't handle being wrong.

this statemaent is right on the money.....if people already know the score, it does not matter if the score is not there, but there are people who like to read the threads from start to finish without not knowing the score

if you cannot get your head around this, you are a dumb bastard, or if you do understand this and are just digging your heels in because you dont want to be wrong, you must be an arrogant prick

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
What does "being wrong" have to do with anything relating to this matter?

It's a matter of people having different opinions. For me, I put it there for easy reference.

What does "being wrong" have to do with anything relating to this matter?

It's a matter of people having different opinions. For me, I put it there for easy reference.

if you want easy reference look at the side bar where the scores are......and before you say, but if you are reading the spoilers forum you can see the side bar scores.......it is easier not to see those scores, than if they are in your face, in the title of the thread

fair point about having different opinions......but the people who have a different opinion about this, to the original poster possibly already know the score, so if the score is not there it does not matter to them

BLKOUT!

Juniors
I sort of agree with this guy. It'd be like having a TV forum with spoiler threads, but putting the spoilers in the title of the threads instead of the actual thread itself. "LOST SPOILER THREAD - THEY WERE ALL DEAD!!!!" etc.

Eels Dude

Coach
I sort of agree with this guy. It'd be like having a TV forum with spoiler threads, but putting the spoilers in the title of the threads instead of the actual thread itself. "LOST SPOILER THREAD - THEY WERE ALL DEAD!!!!" etc.

That's why there is a specific spoiler forum separate from the NRL forum. If you go into the Spoiler forum you should know what to expect.

BLKOUT!

Juniors
The thread titles are still visible from the NRL forum and also the board index when the last post is in one of the spoiler threads. I don't really care either way.

perverse

Referee
honestly.. i think it's part of having a comprehensive area to go to for match info. i love it. i love giving Timmah sh*t as much (hell, much much more..) as the next person, and i wouldn't pass up an opportunity such as this if i didn't genuinely believe that he's in the right on this one. he does do the forum a great service maintaining the threads in that area and i appreciate it as a quick loading, one-stop-shop for scores, in depth match info and match discussion. honestly, i expect the information on the forums - particularly in a spoilers area - to be up-to-date to the second if/when possible. it's a big reason that contributes to why i come here, and to be able to glance over the match threads and find out scores in just generally handy in most cases.

guuhhh... now i need to go and take a shower.

honestly.. i think it's part of having a comprehensive area to go to for match info. i love it. i love giving Timmah sh*t as much (hell, much much more..) as the next person, and i wouldn't pass up an opportunity such as this if i didn't genuinely believe that he's in the right on this one. he does do the forum a great service maintaining the threads in that area and i appreciate it as a quick loading, one-stop-shop for scores, in depth match info and match discussion. honestly, i expect the information on the forums - particularly in a spoilers area - to be up-to-date to the second if/when possible. it's a big reason that contributes to why i come here, and to be able to glance over the match threads and find out scores in just generally handy in most cases.

guuhhh... now i need to go and take a shower.

i totally agree with the sentiments about timmah running the game day spoilers section he does a great job, and imo it is one of the best parts of this forum.......and i read it all the time and like you i use it as a one stop shop for scores and a general run down of the matches.....but i can also see the original posters side as wel, where he wants to read the match day threads like the match was still in progress, for the rest of the people who want just the scores, they can check the side bar or click on the last few pages of a thread to get the score, that way it keeps everybody happy.......it is not that hard

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
No one has answered his question as to why the score needs to be in the title.

Is it some sort of forum 'neatness' or something?

It doesn't have to be there but it is displayed after all games have been aired in order to keep all games and scores up to date so people can browse and discuss the game.

We will never please everybody, but as some people have already stated, if you dont want to see the sores, why would you log onto a Rugby League forum/website.

mightyboy

Juniors
It doesn't have to be there but it is displayed after all games have been aired in order to keep all games and scores up to date so people can browse and discuss the game.

We will never please everybody, but as some people have already stated, if you dont want to see the sores, why would you log onto a Rugby League forum/website.

Hi Twizzle,

I wasn't going to come back to this thread, as I didn't want to cause more bother, but someone sent me a PM and I can't reply to it until I get to 20 posts. :D

The thing is... I DO want to see the scores, and that's why I come to a rugby league site! However, as a passionate rugby league supporter, I'm actually very interested in the story behind the result, not just the final score. I like to read the thread and imagine the way the game is unfolding.

Does no one here go and see movies? I assume you all simply read the reviews to save yourself some time? Or perhaps you read up on the internet about how the movie ends before you go and watch it?

I'm sure there's probably about 10 holes in that analogy, so I'll leave it there for now ;-)

Cheers.

Eels Dude

Coach
Does no one here go and see movies? I assume you all simply read the reviews to save yourself some time? Or perhaps you read up on the internet about how the movie ends before you go and watch it?

I'm sure there's probably about 10 holes in that analogy, so I'll leave it there for now ;-)

Cheers.

yep terrible analogy ;-) I'll read reviews because I want to know if the the film is good enough to go see... but I certainly wouldn't google "ending for 'The Sixth Sense'" (for example) nor read through a forum which discusses the film in length prior to having seen it myself.

CGD

Juniors
What about instead of editing the titles to show the scores, just edit the original post with the score in it's own line at the start? Then if you want to know the score, you hover your mouse over the thread title and the score pops up.

mightyboy

Juniors
yep terrible analogy ;-) I'll read reviews because I want to know if the the film is good enough to go see... but I certainly wouldn't google "ending for 'The Sixth Sense'" (for example) nor read through a forum which discusses the film in length prior to having seen it myself.

Yep. Fair enough. My point simply was, there's more to the story than the ending. I come here for the result, sure, but I also come here for the story. If you were to watch the sixth sense knowing the ending, it wouldn't be nearly as enjoyable, would it? You wouldn't get that same impact when you got to the ending, would you?

No big deal. Thanks anyway :)

Eels Dude

Coach
Yep. Fair enough. My point simply was, there's more to the story than the ending. I come here for the result, sure, but I also come here for the story. If you were to watch the sixth sense knowing the ending, it wouldn't be nearly as enjoyable, would it? You wouldn't get that same impact when you got to the ending, would you?

No big deal. Thanks anyway :)

Exactly my point. That's why I'd stay away from any 'spoilers' and forums so it doesn't ruin it for me if I were planning to go watch it. Same thing you should do if you plan on watching the game and seeing the story unfold.

Exactly my point. That's why I'd stay away from any 'spoilers' and forums so it doesn't ruin it for me if I were planning to go watch it. Same thing you should do if you plan on watching the game and seeing the story unfold.

if you read mightyboys original post, he says, if he misses a match and cannot watch the full replay, he likes to read the thread like the match is happening at the time,without seeing the score before he starts reading....i think this is the point most people are missing

if he was going to watch a replay and went into the spoiler forum, i could see where you are coming from, that would be dumb.........but if he cannot watch a replay, and wants to read the match spoilers, as if it is happening i can see where mighty boy is coming from

as i said in an earlier post, people who want to just get the scores, can read the side bar, or click on the last pages of a thread......it is not too hard to work out

Latest posts