What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Game Four: Raiders v Panthers

thickos

First Grade
With a cast of thousands sitting on the sideline, the coach under fire and our defence a shambles, what chance a win on Saturday night?

Naming of the sides should be very interesting today...

Im gonna stay positive and say we can win this one. Panthers are comming off the bye and I think the guys will be fired up for this one. We will need a big turn around though, but we are capable

thickos

First Grade
Anyone game to predict a team?

I'm assuming Withers will not be fit (eye), and we know both Graham and Martin are out.

I'd like to see

Schifcofske
Chalk
Howell
Mogg
Frawley
Smith
Carney
Lomu
Woolford
Thompson
Learoyd-Lahrs
Croker
Tongue

Zillman
Tilse
Raston
Williams/Jones

thickos said:

I'm assuming Withers will not be fit (eye), and we know both Graham and Martin are out.

I'd like to see

Schifcofske
Chalk
Howell
Mogg
Frawley
Smith
Carney
Lomu
Woolford
Thompson
Learoyd-Lahrs
Croker
Tongue

Zillman
Tilse
Raston
Williams/Jones

I think that will be pretty close to the team picked, but I don't know if Tilse is ready to play 1st grade yet. By reports from PL last week he was very unfit.

Possibly Ale in for Chalk as Chalk seems to be on the outer at the club

thickos

First Grade
According to the CT Trevor Thurling is 'under consideration' as well as Zillman by Elliott.

GreenMachine

Juniors
Schifcofske
Chalk
Howell
Mogg
Frawley
Smith
Carney
Lomu
Woolford
Thompson
Learoyd-Lahrs
Croker
Tongue

Zillman
Tilse
Raston
Jones

nickraider

Juniors
thickos said:

I'd like to see

Schifcofske
Chalk
Howell
Mogg
Frawley
Smith
Carney
Lomu
Woolford
Thompson
Learoyd-Lahrs
Croker
Tongue

Zillman
Tilse
Raston
Williams/Jones

Like that side. I would have Williams and maybe drop Jones back to PL. We need some added 'mongrel' and I think he can provide that. Very nervous though. I can't bear another weekend like the last two. :pray:

thickos

First Grade
Team changes only part remedy
Doug MacDougall
Tuesday, 28 March 2006

Canberra Raiders coach Matt Elliott emerged from a team meeting yesterday wary of the fragile position the club hangs in after two huge losses to the Newcastle Knights and Sydney Roosters.

Elliott said he would make changes to the team that conceded 46 points in the final half hour of Sunday's match against the Roosters.

But he was adamant personnel changes alone wouldn't solve the team's defensive problems heading into Saturday's match against the Penrith Panthers.

The Canberra coach, who this week will plot against the Penrith side he will lead next year, said solutions to the structural and attitudinal problems had been harder to come by.

"I'd have to say, both as a player and a coach, I've never had to endure this," Elliott said of the Raiders' past two losses.

"We certainly can't get down in the mouth and think that this is the norm.

"What happened was unacceptable. We're in round three of a 26-round competition, and we need to fight hard."

Elliott said his preseason decision to join the Panthers in 2007 had not affected his performance as head coach of the Raiders. He said the suggestion that it had was "unfair".

"It hasn't been a factor in my relationship with a player, it hasn't been a visual factor, [and] you could ask the players that," Elliott said.

"It hasn't been a factor in the amount of time, effort and intensity that I'm putting in to what I'm doing here but, again, I could be just saying that."

Elliott was pleased with the efforts of forward Trevor Thurling and back William Zillman in last week's Premier League match, indicating the two would be considered for selection this week.

The coach also expected prop Michael Weyman to play in Premier League this Saturday after finally overcoming an ankle injury which sidelined him for all of 2005.

Winger Craig Frawley and forward Dane Tilse received valuable Premier League minutes last weekend and would also come into contention. Elliott said the returning players would help offset the loss of Terry Martin and centre Phil Graham, who will be sidelined for six weeks with a broken thumb. - Doug MacDougall

Raider_69

Post Whore
Weyman is due back this week too and i dont care how much footy he hasnt played, he should come straight back into FG

Timbo

Staff member
Here's what I want to see:

1-Schifcofske
2-Chalk
3-Howell
4-Ale
5-Frawley
6-Smith
7-Carney
8-Thurling
9-Woolford
10-Thompson
11-Jones
12-Lomu
13-Tongue

14-Tilse
15-Raston
16-Learoyd-Lahrs
17-Zillman

Chachi

Bench
If Withers is unavailable I'd like to see...

1-Schifcofske
2-Chalk
3-Learoyd-Lahrs
4-Howell
5-Frawley
6-Smith
7-Carney
13-Tongue
12-Croker
11-Lomu
10-Thompson
9-Woolford
8-Williams

14-Zillman
15-Jones
16-Raston
17-Thurling

At least L-L would give us some starch in the three-quarters and we can pair him alongside Smith who can be a bit of a liability in defence. Match fitness would also not be as much of an issue with him playing in the centres - he'd probably last the whole game there.

If Withers is fit, maybe drop Raston or Jones, chuck Withers on the bench, Zillman into the centres shifting LL to the bench. This could make our outside defence pretty flakey though.

I'd love to have Weyman back in FG, but it's just too early for him.

ed bbay

Juniors
we all know mogg will be in the team so why not put him in the forwards where all he has to do is run & tackle , i know this is just putting another player in a position he s not used to but if there s some one in prem league to play centre thats going to have a go then put them in . cant do any worse .

GreenMachine

Juniors
Timbo said:
Here's what I want to see:

1-Schifcofske
2-Chalk
3-Howell
4-Ale
5-Frawley
6-Smith
7-Carney
8-Thurling
9-Woolford
10-Thompson
11-Jones
12-Lomu
13-Tongue

14-Tilse
15-Raston
16-Learoyd-Lahrs
17-Zillman

So let me get this straight. Your dropping Croker and replacing him with a complete forward pack reshuffle including the raiders debut of Trevor Thurling in the starting side?

Well its different...

I wouldnt have gone there myself though.

Kris_man

Bench
I reckon Thurling had a blistering final 20 minutes in the PL game. Hodgson was tops too as well. I'd have both of them, as well as Chalky and Zillman, into the 17.

Timbo

Staff member
GreenMachine said:
So let me get this straight. Your dropping Croker and replacing him with a complete forward pack reshuffle including the raiders debut of Trevor Thurling in the starting side?

Well its different...

I wouldnt have gone there myself though.

You explain to me what Croker's done to keep his spot and I'll gladly re-include him.

thickos

First Grade
No way he'll be dropped Timbo, despite his relative poor form.

296-gamers don't sit in PL, not with our squad....

schnitzel

Juniors
I reckon all of our debutants need to be dropped and replaced with players with more experience and maturity. Frawley in for Purtell, Hodgson in for Jones, Weyman in for Raston. These three will benefit from going back to PL and will be even hungrier when their next oportunity comes...

canberra_raiders2k2

First Grade
Raston has been very good imo.

Purtell has had a few shocking moments though and he doesnt look all that quick, id much prefer milne.

GreenMachine

Juniors
thickos said:
No way he'll be dropped Timbo, despite his relative poor form.

296-gamers don't sit in PL, not with our squad....

my point exactly.

Croker 297 games - out of form

Thurling 1 game - no form available

Latest posts