What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Game thread v the Dogs

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Exactly. God forbid the ref should make a mistake!

To err is human, and they have made plenty of mistakes in our favour.

Acme

Juniors
Exactly. God forbid the ref should make a mistake!

To err is human, and they have made plenty of mistakes in our favour.

More like God forbid anyone question the ref!

I understand that they do a tough and thankless job but the condescending way they talk to players these days is a joke. The coaches aren't allowed to say anything about them under any circumstance!

Like you said, they're just human so why do they get special rules which allow them to act like they're running the show?

A good ref to me would realise they should be influencing the game as little as possible. And they should be happy enough to accept that there's going to be scrutiny and angry people when mistakes are made.

It's the high level of protection that is setting a trend in all sports where you have all these arrogant ref's running around and everyone is scared or too polite to say anything.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
The reason NRL refs are 'protected' is to provide some level of protection to amateur referees by way of influencing the 'refs are f**kwits' attitude predominant among us bogans. You think NRL refs do a tough, thankless job? Junior referees in Campbelltown (for example) get paid f**k all, deal with hostile crowds from kickoff up until they drive out of the carpark (or their mum does), and unlike NRL refs, they face the very real threat of physical violence every time they referee a game.

I understand there are all the socioeconomic factors that contribute to this, but a key factor is the blame-the-ref culture that develops in the NRL if criticism is allowed to go unchecked. Junior players, coaches and parents absorb these ideas and emulate their angry, blame-shifting heroes, and it makes it much harder to attract referees for the amateur competitions.

Acme

Juniors
I get that there are way too many morons out there that don't understand the difference between a player or coach having a tanty about a bad decision and hurting a teenage volunteer ref in relation to an amateur game.

I just believe the refs should understand their place in the game. I don't think the way they're carrying on as well as receiving special treatment is doing them any favours in regard to improving relations.

I'm not saying that criticism should go unchecked. But the zero tolerance approach rarely goes down well with the punters.

I just believe the refs should understand their place in the game. I don't think the way they're carrying on as well as receiving special treatment is doing them any favours in regard to improving relations.

Don't start using correct grammar round here. It's (sorry, its) obligatory to use 'there' or 'their'.

I get that there are way too many morons out there that don't understand the difference between a player or coach having a tanty about a bad decision and hurting a teenage volunteer ref in relation to an amateur game.

I'm not saying that criticism should go unchecked. But the zero tolerance approach rarely goes down well with the punters.

i agree fair enough the nrl doesnt want coaches bagging refs every week but its not right that refs can do what they want with zero consequences either

Haynzy

First Grade
The way to teach 'the great unwashed' how to address the refs is to model positive relationships with refs.

Coaches and Captains should be allowed to question the refs providing they do it respectfully.

Refs should speak to players respectfully.

Encourage a positive relationship between refs and players/clubs.

Punitive measures rarely encourage long term shifts in behaviour.

The way to teach 'the great unwashed' how to address the refs is to model positive relationships with refs.

Coaches and Captains should be allowed to question the refs providing they do it respectfully.

Refs should speak to players respectfully.

Encourage a positive relationship between refs and players/clubs.

Punitive measures rarely encourage long term shifts in behaviour.

Absolutely.

I've got a couple of friends in the UK with three kids between 4 and 8 years of age. While the dad loves football (soccer), they basically won't let the kids watch it on any regular basis because of the way the players treat the referee. I'd like to think I'd do the same if I had kids. Getting the ref/captain/coach/players relationship on the right path is a priority.

Acme

Juniors
Don't start using correct grammar round here. It's (sorry, its) obligatory to use 'there' or 'their'.

Cheers Barry. I aint no grammar nut but I find it's hard enough getting your point across on these sites as it is. It's way too easy to take comments in the wrong tone or context, so anything I can to reduce that I guess...

T.S Quint

Coach
Cheers Barry. I aint no grammar nut but I find it's hard enough getting your point across on these sites as it is. It's way too easy to take comments in the wrong tone or context, so anything I can to reduce that I guess...

What did you just say about my mother, you merkin?!!

T.S Quint

Coach
c41220cfe4f7c510921d0f7dfa32199ff6b4ac6d7613ce0344335d6e723e5fb6.jpg

Boy, that escalated quickly. I mean that really got out of hand fast!

*apparently I've gotta have 20 posts up before I can put a picture of Ron Burgundy up!

Which is what they'll be saying at Parra Leagues when the new and improved elevators are turned on for the first time after the redevelopment.

Parra47

Juniors
I was always taught to call the ref Sir, that was implying a level of respect right off the bat when talking to them. Its a damn hard job and sure it can be frustrating watching them at NRL level. Last year was poor and so far this year is not looking any better, some of the interpretations are shocking, but you still have to show and have respect if your a player out on the field and I also think fans need to back off with abuse at games. its not a good look to have a moron constantly giving it to the ref and kids hearing it. Remember without the officials there'd be no game. Its a tough unpopular job.

Latest posts