What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Gang tackles: illegal or not?

firechild

First Grade
I have no problem with gang tackles in general. I do have a problem with the Storm tactics which have led to numerous tackling styles being outlawed in recent seasons.

Younge

Juniors
I have no problem with gang tackles in general. I do have a problem with the Storm tactics which have led to numerous tackling styles being outlawed in recent seasons.

Who says the outlawed tackles are Storm tactics? It's only one-eyed people like you who try to find anything to discredit the Storm's success. Are you saying these type of tackles never happened prior to 1998?

As stated by others in this thread, the Storm tactics are to get numbers in the tackle and slow down the ruck. That's not illegal - it's smart.

babyg

Juniors
Nothing wrong with the gang tackle but the peeling off one by one should be penalised. It feels like it takes a minute to get them off. Once the held call is made you should have 1 or 2 seconds to all get off and that's it.

Patorick

Staff member
Great.

Here comes another Masters article defending the Storm and his buddy Bellamy.

POPEYE

Coach
Nothing wrong with the gang tackle but the peeling off one by one should be penalised. It feels like it takes a minute to get them off. Once the held call is made you should have 1 or 2 seconds to all get off and that's it.

That is the problem imo. It gives the perception that the Storm are doing wrong.

Firstly, it would be advantageous to a player to submit once he can't go further. By trying to show how tough he is he's liable to injure himself but more importantly, he's contributing to slow play-the-balls.

Then if a third man comes in it can be penalised as a flop would be.

Butters

Bench
It's like clockwork. Melbourne start to dominate the comp again and all the wankers start having a cry about them and their "illegal" tackling techniques and how it's a blight on the game and wah f**king wah.

There's nothing wrong with wrapping up a players legs with other players up top. It creates an anchoring point so that the Melbourne players ontop can put the opposition on the ground easier and it also stops the opposing player from gaining any more metres. FFS might as well ban Melbourne from tackling if yous are gonna whinge about them wrapping a players legs up.

Last edited:

Hutty1986

Immortal
It's like clockwork. Melbourne start to dominate the comp again and all the wankers start having a cry about them and their "illegal" tackling techniques and how it's a blight on the game and wah f**king wah.

There's nothing wrong with wrapping up a players legs with other players up top. It creates an anchoring point so that the Melbourne players ontop can put the opposition on the ground easier and it also stops the opposing player from gaining any more metres. FFS might as well ban Melbourne from tackling if yous are gonna whinge about them wrapping a players legs up.

It's all a conspiracy!

firechild

First Grade
It would be a blight on the game if melbourne was running last (as they were last year). People don't stop talking about grubs like Slater, Blair and Smith because they're coming last.

POPEYE

Coach
It would be a blight on the game if melbourne was running last (as they were last year). People don't stop talking about grubs like Slater, Blair and Smith because they're coming last.

There you go . . . as soon as someone comes along waving a flag you abandon reality

POPEYE

Coach
It's all a conspiracy!

When your team get good enough to dominate rugby league for a decade the powers that be will not be happy.

It was already noticeable that when the Dragons used Storm tactics to win a 'grand' final that all and sundry were up in arms about it being boring

Hutty1986

Immortal
When your team get good enough to dominate rugby league for a decade the powers that be will not be happy.

It was already noticeable that when the Dragons used Storm tactics to win a 'grand' final that all and sundry were up in arms about it being boring

No you senile old crackpot, the powers that be aren't happy when a team blatantly rorts the salary cap and costs several teams the chance at a legitimate premiership. Take your own advice and take a dose of reality

Younge

Juniors

Out of interest - who do you follow? Do you have any "grubs" in your team or are you the bastions of sporting morality that never contravene the laws of the game?

Maybe your guys occaisonally get penalised but it's never malicious, reckless or negligent. It's always an incidental and unfortunate outcome of playing it tough in the spirit of the game.

POPEYE

Coach
No you senile old crackpot, the powers that be aren't happy when a team blatantly rorts the salary cap and costs several teams the chance at a legitimate premiership. Take your own advice and take a dose of reality

How does salary cap fit in with how a team tackles. You're going to have to start contributing more in these threads

Hutty1986

Immortal
How does salary cap fit in with how a team tackles. You're going to have to start contributing more in these threads

You mentioned how the Storm "dominated for a decade" yet they haven't legally even made the finals since 2005.

babyg

Juniors
I don't give a shit where Melbourne are coming. I love watching them play. I find all the slowing of the ruck frustrating to watch. Melbourne get the brunt becuase they are the best at it.

POPEYE

Coach
You mentioned how the Storm "dominated for a decade" yet they haven't legally even made the finals since 2005.

My, you have been led to grasping at straws by a 'senile old man'.

You are even saying that the NRL knew about the salary cap way before the Storm started to use revolutionary tackles, hence the 'getting square'

Now, I'm sure you are about to pollute this otherwise topical thread as only you and and a few other deviants know how, but know this . . . it isn't a good look for you

Tigger Madness

Juniors
The "prowler" tack needs to be enforced for thoroughly - the one where two guys have stopped the momentum of the runner and then a third comes in and smashes them in the legs or ribs. Also, flops have become much more prevalent recently and need to be cracked down upon.

Hutty1986

Immortal
My, you have been led to grasping at straws by a 'senile old man'.

You are even saying that the NRL knew about the salary cap way before the Storm started to use revolutionary tackles, hence the 'getting square'

Now, I'm sure you are about to pollute this otherwise topical thread as only you and and a few other deviants know how, but know this . . . it isn't a good look for you

I'm thinkiing this is a good old fashioned communication breakdown, I assumed your "decade of dominance" and the response of the "powers that be" comment was referring to the salary cap scandal pops

POPEYE

Coach
I'm thinkiing this is a good old fashioned communication breakdown, I assumed your "decade of dominance" and the response of the "powers that be" comment was referring to the salary cap scandal pops

Well, there is hope. If you take time to think before you speak there's no reason you can't participate in these topical threads with a meaningful desire to communicate.

You should have picked up by now that I use the cap as only a vessel for common sense and baiting. I don't have a leg to stand on in a court of law

Latest posts