What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Gareth Ellis

The Dodger

First Grade
i find this a weird statement , fair enough on last night , but we were missing TLL , Tilse and Logan , who are massive in size.

Ellis played well and was damaging , hw will go alright in the NRL , Galloway done well as well
i was only going by the team i saw last night.

and i was comparing their pack to the rest of the teams in the NRL.

but in saying that, the two ref system looks like it will help the more mobile packs this year.

last nights game was the most entertaining of all the games on the weekend, by far.

much more intense and faster than the rest of the games.

Bench
I tried to tell the doubters on the WestsTigers site that he would star once he found his feet,good players can cut it anywhere.
After the world cup people were bagging the club for wasting money,they wouldn't listen,maybe now they might reassess their stand.
You go Gaz,show them personal goals mean more to credibility than lining your bank account.

what an impact he made. I was expecting him to be quiet for 5-10 weeks while he finds his feet, then start to play near his best, but didn't he just come out all guns blazing. Hope he can keep it up.

hybrid_tiger

Coach
Ellis was great. I had my doubts also, because he was very poor in the WC. But his defence is great. Just can't wait to see him get used to our attack and start offloading.

Harrison as I predicted probably offloaded more times last night than in his whole career with us, FFS. That's what you get when you use him properly, running wide on the fringes. Sheens is an idiot. However, defensively he is still poor/very hot and cold.

hutch

First Grade
stats dont tell the whole story. some of his hits lifted the team, and he made some barnstorming hit ups. good debut!

hutch

First Grade
very impressive player, although he did have a few missed tackles (not sure where you got your stats from).

but, its only round 1 and canberra aren't known for their big forward packs so i guess wait and see how he performs against a bigger team.

still, i thought he played brilliant.

canberra have one of the biggest packs in the comp. last year they had the biggest.

bulldog

Bench
is it just me or is galloway even bigger than last year? good god.

Scary thing is I think he's probably another season away from learning to use his size properly, forward pack is looking very good for the Tigers over the next few seasons, get a good halves combo going and they will be up there with the best of them.

Ziggy the God

First Grade
I had no doubt that he would make an impact, and even picked him in my Fantasy league squad.

Great pickup by the Tigers.

meltiger

First Grade
Scary thing is I think he's probably another season away from learning to use his size properly, forward pack is looking very good for the Tigers over the next few seasons, get a good halves combo going and they will be up there with the best of them.

Agree with this ^, over the last two years Galloway has improved out of sight, last night showed hopefully he'll continue to improve this year.

GE - Impressive debut, but the test will come in the backend of the season once he's had to deal with the quality & speed of the comp week in, week out for most of the season.

Those two hits were outstanding though.

DeeGan

Bench
This first hit was more John Morris from where I sat (only the one look at it thought, I may be wrong).

very impressive player, although he did have a few missed tackles (not sure where you got your stats from).

but, its only round 1 and canberra aren't known for their big forward packs so i guess wait and see how he performs against a bigger team.

still, i thought he played brilliant.

right here http://nrlstats.com.au/season/nrl/thescore1890.html#results

i dunno why tigers dont play Ellis at lock he played there before and hes a better option than payton and heighnington

Dirty Mutombo

Juniors
Ellis does a few things hindmarsh doesnt though and that is hes a hard hitter in defense
just look at the 2 shots he put on last night

Low blow dude maybe u should get ur hand off gareth ellis & put it up to run at Hindmarsh.

Having said that Ellis was very impressive. Dominated the right edge in defence. Hopefully Heighington gets out of the way & he sees a bit more quality ball in coming weeks.

Once Dead

Bench
It's only the first round. Let's see how it pans out at the end of the season. Note: I AM a Tigers fan.

BTW-It's the like the Telecrap talk about John Sutton playing 5/8th for NSW....last year they were screaming for Mateo to get it and once again, they were basing it off a few games. It's short sighted thinking.

Eddie.

Bench
He was sensational. I was pretty amazed at how big he looked close up.

Like many i had my doubts after the World Cup, where he was very quiet. I don't watch much Super League so that was all i had to go off. However i saw him in the Foundation Cup against the Roosters where he was hte best Tigers forward on the field.

He appears to have it all. An 80 minute player. Ability to defend with aggression. Offloading and tackle breaking. Workrate. I thought it was nothing short of a sensational debut performance.

It is only Round 1 and theres a long grind ahead. However he could well be the marquee forward we have been looking for since day dot at Wests Tigers. The only real intimidator we had was Jarrod Mccracken and that never worked out. Ellis could really make that sort of impact.

Im actually mildly excited about our overall pack this season. Galloway, Heightington, Ellis and Payten are all players seeming reaching the peak of their careers. Throw in a wild card like Laurie and we have the makings of something decent. Now all we need is for that pillow Gibbs to step up.

TimmyB

Juniors
At one stage we had a run from dummy half and then Ellis, Heighington, Payten and Galloway all took hitups. It was pretty impressive to see so many big boys running it up in a row. There's no way in hell you'd call our pack small this year.

My only concern is Sheens' use of the interchange bench. Seemed to keep Trimarchi up his sleeve for quite a while, when it seemed our forwards were really tiring. Hanbury is a waste on the bench. I'd be much more inclined to shift Halatau to the utility bench position and find a lock from somewhere - Danny Galea perhaps?

Evil Homer

Staff member
Good call. Unlike that other twat Stuart Fielden who chose the soft option (albeit more money), Ellis is putting his money where his mouth his. He believes he is world class, he is going to prove that.

Take note Mr Fielden. You cannot lay claim to ANY 'world's best' tag floundering amongst the "best of the Super League competition". Harden the fugg up and get over here already.

Maybe we know why you're still avoiding us?

0,5001,5295841,00.jpg

?
You obviously haven't watched too much Super League for a while. Fielden is garbage and spends most of his time getting put on his arse by juniors and outside backs. Bottom 5 props in the comp for sure.

Latest posts