What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Gasnier/Union: Possible 780K deal

LESStar58

Referee
$780K?

Look, i like Mark Gasnier, he's a great talent and such but he ain't worth
$780K! Sure he could make more money in yawn yawn but he really needs to think about it a la Anasta. Has he done evrything in the game he wants? Well, he's won an Origin series, has a handful of Test jerseys. Does he wanna build a dysnsaty and be part of something at St George or does he wanna piss off and make the easy money?

Thomas

First Grade
Calixte said:
Do you seriously suggest the RL players are not as good (even at playing a game that is foreign to them) as their union counterparts who are constantly overlooked for Wallaby positions?

Yes I do. Once those RL players learn how to support in rucks and where to be positioned in defence they are very good. You need to understand that with 2 extra defenders and no luxury of the 10m, players are under more pressure.

What happened in the first test that Rogers, Tuquiri and Sailor played in? They got 50 put past them by the All Blacks who percieved their defensive weaknesses and ran the ball out wide. Lote had no idea how to defend against those lines and Wendell was way out of his depth.

10 years ago you could easily say that RL players were fitter and better ball handlers than RU players, but not now. Watch some S14 with an open mind and get back to me.

Kurt Angle

First Grade
Thomas said:
Watched much RU Kurt? Last year Drew Mitchell was playing some very good rugby. Enough to warrent a look in from the Broncos as was mentioned in the Courier Mail last year.

Last year I watched a bit, hardly watched any this year. Mitchell is a dud, it's the tendency for RU types to overllok the errors of their own, only the focus on the gains.

The guy turns the ball over virtually every big tackle. Sailor does not turn the ball over any more.

Sailor is better in the ruck than Drew Mitchell
Sailor is a better tackler than Drew Mitchell.

Mitchell is a walking liability on the paddock, yes will be praised because of his "Union pedigree". Many more astute RU observers than yourself will agree.

The guy is a RU liability, however he is the best RU have. That sums up all that needs to be said about Australian RU.

This year he's struggled a bit although scored a good try against Canterbury a few weeks ago.

Now he hasn't go players like Tuquiri being marked up by two defenders allowing an overlap.

He's got pace and a decent pass

Jeezus, stop pretending you know anything at all about either rugby code. The guy has no passing game what so ever. He has pace, a decent swever to his left and a moderate boot. That is his whole game.

but the only area where he's a bit suspect is his defence, especially against bigger backs.

And his ability to take the ball into the ruck without turning it over.
And his rucking in defence
And his ability under a contested high ball
etc etc.

Kurt Angle

First Grade
Thomas said:
10 years ago you could easily say that RL players were fitter and better ball handlers than RU players, but not now. Watch some S14 with an open mind and get back to me.

RL are still infinitely better ball handlers.

RU has caught up on fitness and tackling, the latter because RU programs everywhere are full of ex-RL coaches.

Calixte

First Grade
Thomas said:
Yes I do. Once those RL players learn how to support in rucks and where to be positioned in defence they are very good. You need to understand that with 2 extra defenders and no luxury of the 10m, players are under more pressure.

What happened in the first test that Rogers, Tuquiri and Sailor played in? They got 50 put past them by the All Blacks who percieved their defensive weaknesses and ran the ball out wide. Lote had no idea how to defend against those lines and Wendell was way out of his depth.

bullsh*t Thomas.

If I wasn't leaving work I'd answer that load of sh*t with the response it deserves. To be cont...

JW

Coach
Thomas said:
10 years ago you could easily say that RL players were fitter and better ball handlers than RU players, but not now.

Boss, surely ye jest?

KFC

Juniors
Simple answer.

Raise the salary cap to $5 Million.

I'm sure the Dragons could then match the offer and if they couldn't I know a team based at Bondi that could:D

taipan

Referee
Thomas said:

Thomas you are acting as a comedian.To compare the intensity and demands of rugby league(with b...all breaks),with the lack of intensity and demands(aided by so many friggin stoppages and 2 extra men),has me rolling in the aisle.
Ask Intnl Dell,Thaiday,Rogers which is the more physically demanding.Thaiday
couldnt believe his eyes with the demands of just the training at Newcastle.
As far as S14 goes,from what I have seen this year,the defence in many cases is puerile,even with an extra 2 men.
Fitter? I would stack Scott Prince up against the majority of S14 players anytime,and there are plenty of others O'Donnell of NQLD.
Ball handlers? with all the knock ons and fumbles and forward passes ;let go ,by inept union referring ,hardly recipes for good ball handling.

taipan

Referee
Mr_Ugly said:
I disagree. At the end of the day people didn't stop playing league when we used to poach union players, and I very much doubt they will stop playing union becasue they poach ours.

And really, what better proof is there of the superiority of league over union than the Wallabies backline?

Agree to a point,the only difference if Gasnier was promised a Wallaby slot,end of this year,and a world cup tour.In other words didnt serve any apprenticeship in union.
They wont stop playing union(it will still cause disharmony), for the NRL its still a good selling point, in getting its code in schools, which at presenrt wont allow it.To do that would be great PR.

You dont have to tell me about the superiority of rugby league over union.Check my sigo.