What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

GB 18 man squad

Frederick

Staff member
superleague.co.uk said:
GB announce side to face Aussies

THURSDAY - 17th November 2005
Hull winger Gareth Raynor will make his Great Britain debut in Saturday’s must-win Gillette Tri-Nations match against Australia.

The 27-year-old will be on the left wing, with Bradford’s versatile Leon Pryce set to switch to full-back in place of the injured Paul Wellens, although coach Brian Noble will not reveal his starting line-up until an hour before kick-off.

Raynor will be one of three Hull men playing on their home ground, with Richard Horne set to take over at scrum-half from the injured Paul Deacon and prop Jamie Thackray continuing on the bench.

Winger Brian Carney has been passed fit after coming off with a hamstring injury in last Saturday’s 38-12 win over New Zealand while Lee Gilmour and Kevin Sinfield, both dropped a week ago, have been included in an 18-strong squad.

GB Team (in alphabetical order):

Brian Carney
Keiron Cunningham
Gareth Ellis
Stuart Fielden
Lee Gilmour
Martin Gleeson
Iestyn Harris
Michael Higham
Richard Horne
Paul Johnson
Adrian Morley
James Peacock
Leon Pryce
Gareth Raynor
Keith Senior
Kevin Sinfield
Jamie Thackray
Chev Walker
source

bartman

Immortal
Cheers Capn.

So in positional order maybe?

Pryce
Carney
Senior
Gleeson
Raynor
Harris
Horne
Fielden
Cunningham
Morley
Peacock
Johnson
Ellis

Thackray
Gilmour
Walker
Higham
Sinfield

Frederick

Staff member
I spose it'd be Sinfield dropped off the bench, although I don't really remember much of Lee Gilmour. Good to see Carney's leg healed well, he definitely did the right thing by coming off the field early last week. How's Raynor go? I haven't got Fox so don't get to see as much SL as I'd like to.

Fairleigh Good!

Juniors
Gareth Raynor was touted as the next Jason Robinson.

Think of Robinson having a really quiet game and you've pretty much got Raynor.

Fairleigh Good!

Juniors
I would say Raynor is a better player than Calderwood.

Calderwood looks good in Super League because he plays on the wing for Leeds Rhinos. They are only rarely put under any real pressure in games and the stuff you notice is him finishing moves that world class players have started or chasing kicks.

Can he handle 80 minutes of intense defending against Australia? No.

Can Raynor? No. But he wouldn't suffer the collapse in confidence that Calderwood might do if he made a mistake. I'd say Noble was right on this one.

Fairleigh Good!

Juniors
So what? Richard Horne is fullback, Pryce and Carney on the wings.

Whoever gets the call is only going to be on the bench anyway?

screeny

Bench
As long as he drops Sinfield it's a good looking team, the best he could've picked in the circumstances.

I hope he doesn't shove Ellis in the second row with Johnson and put Sinfield at lock, though, leaving Gilmour out in the cold. I fear he might.

bartman

Immortal
Fairleigh Good! said:
So what? Richard Horne is fullback, Pryce and Carney on the wings.
Who's going to play starting scrum half if Horne plays at fullback? Surely not Sinfield, Higham or Harris?

screeny

Bench
AFP reports Noble trying out Harris at FB in training, and Pryce and Sinfield in the halves. As much as a coach doesn't want to be dictated to by the opposition line up he just has to factor in the introduction of Barrett at 6 for Australia and try to counter it.

So we could see Harris 1, Horne 7 and Pryce 6....I would love that.

But more likely Pryce 1, Harris 6 and Horne 7.

The worst would be Harris 1, Horne 7 and Sinfield at 6. That would be pitiful.

bartman

Immortal
Will be interesting... another must win game and both sides have to pull out all the stops.

The Clan

Juniors
Great Britain are missing one hell of a lot of players!

unavailable due to his nove to the dark side!
Andy Farrell

Injured
Wellens
McGuire
Radlinski
Long
Deacon
King
Newton
Bailey
Hock
O'Loughlin
Sculthorpe

screeny

Bench
The only one out of that lot I'd be crying over is Scully. Mind you, everyone raves about O'Loughlin these days and I've not seen him for well over a year.

Hock's for the future, Wellens is too slow, McGuire is a loss I suppose, Rads too, but Long, Deacon, Newton, Bailey and King won't be missed (for different reasons - King's good but no better than Thackray, whose had a blinding series).

Fairleigh Good!

Juniors
It was on the radio as I was driving home that Horne is expected to play at fullback with Pryce and Carney on the wings and Sinfield and Harris in the halves.

Charge

Juniors
Fairleigh Good! said:
It was on the radio as I was driving home that Horne is expected to play at fullback with Pryce and Carney on the wings and Sinfield and Harris in the halves.

But Noble has basically said that raynor will play on the wing.

screeny

Bench
Fairleigh Good! said:

Who said that? Surely a smokescreen? Or, then again, perhaps the Raynor on the wing story is a smokescreen. Noble is certain to try to throw a red herring out there.

I can see him playing that world's worst halves combination. God help us if that's the case......

Nah, I just don't believe it. It can't be true.