What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

GB Team for 2nd Test

vbfg

Juniors
1. Radlinski (Wigan)
2. Carney (Wigan)
3. Connolly (Leeds)
4. Senior (Leeds)
5. Horne (Hull)
6. Sculthorpe (St Helens)
7. Deacon (Bradford)
8. Fielden (Bradford)
9. Newton (Wigan)
10. McDermott (Leeds)
11. Morley (Sydney Roosters)
12. Peacock (Bradford)
13. Farrell (Wigan, capt).

Subs: Anderson (Bradford), Sinfield (Leeds), Long (St Helens), Forshaw (Bradford).

Shocking team. I'm surpised Waite has only found room for three loose forwards in the team. It's no real surprise that he hasn't picked one to play loose forward or that he has picked one to play stand off but it's bloody amazing that we've dropped Gilmour, not dropped McDermott and brought Sinfield in.

Where I was confident about this weekend I'm not any more.

Robbo

Juniors
on the positive, i like the thought that we can bring on Sinfield and Long from the bench - two creative players who are capable of changing the match. A good balance also, with Anderson and Forshaw.

I wouldn't be too down vbfg, it's a strong team.

David Waite - "Kevin gives us greater versatility than Lee. He has trained in a number of positions for us and you have to understand that this game is different to the first one, it's all guns blazing." - not sure how true this is.

vbfg

Juniors
Robbo said:
on the positive, i like the thought that we can bring on Sinfield and Long from the bench - two creative players who are capable of changing the match. A good balance also, with Anderson and Forshaw.

I wouldn't be too down vbfg, it's a strong team.

David Waite - "Kevin gives us greater versatility than Lee. He has trained in a number of positions for us and you have to understand that this game is different to the first one, it's all guns blazing." - not sure how true this is.

Gilmour can play the same pack positions as Sinfield can, has more pace and can cover anywhere in the three quarters too. If they need extra options in the half backs they have an excellent one playing only his second ever game on the wing on Saturday, a position Gilmour is more than capable in.

I can see the plan being to get a good ten minutes out of McDermott, take him off and move Morley up to the front and Farrell in to the second row whilst Sinny comes on at lock. You don't even need to tackle McDermott near the ball to make him drop it these days though. It looks to me like we're out to bash the Aussies in the opening exchanges. I have no problem with that, but that screams having Burrow on the bench, or at least some pace, to take advantage later on.

I would have gone with this from the current squad:

1 Radlinski
2 Carney
3 Gleeson
4 Senior
5 Horne
6 Long
7 Deacon
8 Fielden
9 Newton
10 Morley
11 Peacock
12 Farrell
13 Sculthorpe

Subs
Anderson
McDermott
Burrow
Gilmour

To be honest though I'd be looking to promote Lynch from the England A squad to replace McDermott.

Fairleigh Good!

Juniors
David Waite is an absolute fool.

Why not just bow to what the GB public has prayed for during the majority of the last decade?

Paul Sculthorpe should play at 13, with Farrell at 12, if anywhere. That GB team is sh@t, make no mistakes about that. It is in fact even more boring and defensive than last week.

Sculthorpe and Senior aside, the is NO-ONE that is even capable of making a break! Its pathetic, the same old players wheeled out to be beaten.

Why has Paul Deacon been picked? He has one ability which is kicking. If he is in the GB team because of that then we should add a couple of flankers to the side and go and play the 'other' game. Paul Deacon will not even attempt to take it to the Roos defensive line and with an obviously beaten pack we will be steamrollered. There will not be any combination between the halves either, at least Sean Long tried things and put people under pressure.

Barry McDermott? He fell down the other side of the hill two years ago, yet he is our starting prop against Australia? An appalling decision.

Connolly, Deacon, Newton, McDermott, Farrell. All in the GB team together :roll: :shock: :cry:

In a way I'm glad though, because when that team receives a 40 point hammering then perhaps we'll finally see a decent GB squad selection.

Fairleigh Good!

Juniors
vbfg said:
Robbo said:

1 Radlinski
2 Carney
3 Gleeson
4 Senior
5 Horne
6 Long
7 Deacon
8 Fielden
9 Newton
10 Morley
11 Peacock
12 Farrell
13 Sculthorpe

Subs
Anderson
McDermott
Burrow
Gilmour

To be honest though I'd be looking to promote Lynch from the England A squad to replace McDermott.

Common sense is not permitted in the picking of GB teams though. Martin Gleeson is not even in the squad and never has been. It is the biggest injustice since time began. Burrow isn't in the squad either.

vbfg

Juniors
You're right, they're not. I was just thinking of Lynch when I wrote that then copied and pasted the team I posted a few days ago on RLFANS.

incredible_holc

Juniors
ok i have never seen a stupider pick.

He has McDermott starting, then only one other prop on the bench?????? McDermott the fat shit will get tired way to quickly and so willthat bald one. He should of stuck with the same forward pack apart from lock!!!! they dominated the Aussies last match.

AuckMel

Bench
With Mander as the ref, I'd be more worried about GB's shocking discipline.

He might not send anyone off, but he'll blow them off the park.

Fairleigh Good!

Juniors
AuckMel said:
With Mander as the ref, I'd be more worried about GB's shocking discipline.

He might not send anyone off, but he'll blow them off the park.

I really don't know what all the fuss was about the refereeing of the 1st Test. If anything it favoured Australia, as statistics have proved they were an average of a metre offside, with GB around 0.6 metres further back on average.

The thing that has caused contention is the flop ruling, but I did not see many, if any, genuine flops from GB.

Sure we have Newton who is a knob, but Mander cannot come in and ref it like it is an NRL game.

dimitri

First Grade
i would have liked to have seen

deacon and long playing half and 5/8 together

similar to how stuart and langer have done on past roo tours

deacon can kick, and llong can organise

then sculthorpe could have gone to lock
and if that didnt work horne could be brought in from the wing

lee gilmour was one of their best players last ashes and can play anywhere from 1-5 and from 13-11

i have no idea why he was dropped

:?

JJ

Immortal
dimitri said:

From memory, Stuart and Langer played together just the once, the Aussies lost and Langer was promptly dropped for a Stuart-Lyons combination.

So, that wasn't exactly a raging success, at least in Bob Fulton's eyes

paulquinn49

Bench
not knowing much/anything about the poms i cant say too much. But considering how many players the aussies are missing i think the poms should have put out a so called 2nd string team by giving the younger kids a run so when the next tour comes around and these other guys are sitting at home 45 drunk and fat they wont be watching these other 30 year old making their debut and stuffing up. they should have been given more chances during this series.

2 of GB's props are pathetic they must be 40 they have to be. one starts the other on the bench. Surely great britian has at least 2 younger more skillful props in the game.

JJ

Immortal
Strange thinking - "we lost the first test against a weak Aussie team trying to be thugs. Had one guy sent off, and another cost us with crucial penalties. What should we do now?"

The answer to this is putting Barrie McDermott in the starting line-up!!! You're kidding :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

JJ said:
dimitri said:

From memory, Stuart and Langer played together just the once, the Aussies lost and Langer was promptly dropped for a Stuart-Lyons combination.

Correct. It was a ridiuclous decision. Sticky was no 5/8th. The best combo was Stuart n Daley on the 94 tour with Fittler at Lock.

JJ

Immortal
DaleyIsGod said:
JJ said:
dimitri said:

Correct. It was a ridiuclous decision. Sticky was no 5/8th. The best combo was Stuart n Daley on the 94 tour with Fittler at Lock.

Except wasn't that the tour that Daley craked his hand on some Pom's head and didn't play the rest of the tests?

vbfg

Juniors
vbfg said:

1 Radlinski
2 Carney
3 Gleeson
4 Senior
5 Horne
6 Long
7 Deacon
8 Fielden
9 Newton
10 Morley
11 Peacock
12 Farrell
13 Sculthorpe

Subs
Anderson
McDermott
Burrow
Gilmour

Ladies and gentleman, I present embarrassing collapse and defeat. Welcome to our selection policy of filling the creative positions with loose forwards, having no pace on the bench and having only one half back out on the field at any one time. Not only that, it's the one half back who desperately needs a pacy stand off out there with him. Someone like the bloke who never left the bench for example when he should have been out there from the start playing in his proper position.

I have never been as angry or disappointed in a defeat as I am over this one. What a golden opportunity just pissed away by incompetent team selection and tactics.

f**k off home Waite. Idiot.

spooky

Juniors
vbfg said:
I have never been as angry or disappointed in a defeat as I am over this one. What a golden opportunity just pissed away by incompetent team selection and tactics.

What he said.

JJ

Immortal
spooky said:
vbfg said:

What he said.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

dimitri

First Grade
1 Radlinski
2 Carney
3 Gleeson
4 Senior
5 Horne
6 Long
7 Deacon
8 Fielden