What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

GB to consider overseas born stars

Springs09

Juniors
Well it’s fine considering all 4 home nations use overseas players but Coote better not be playing for GB when Scotland has qualifiers on. Play for Scotland if you’re a proud Scotsman.

Perth Red

Post Whore
ONLY if they have committed to a home nations squad for the next RLWC. Otherwise no.no.no.

deluded pom?

Coach
ONLY if they have committed to a home nations squad for the next RLWC. Otherwise no.no.no.
What’s to stop a player doing that then pulling out of the WC or playing for another team if he’s eligible. You can’t force future decisions on players.

adamkungl

Immortal
I really wish the so-called tier 1 nations would have some self respect and agree not to call on the residency rule

Side note, why do England/GB think blokes who weren't good enough to make Australia or even SOO, are good enough to beat Australia? At least this time round they're only playing NZ...

Perth Red

Post Whore
What’s to stop a player doing that then pulling out of the WC or playing for another team if he’s eligible. You can’t force future decisions on players.

Yes you can, the RLIF could make them nominate and then not accept a change in that RLWC cycle. They could pull out but thats their loss.

Perth Red

Post Whore
I really wish the so-called tier 1 nations would have some self respect and agree not to call on the residency rule

Side note, why do England/GB think blokes who weren't good enough to make Australia or even SOO, are good enough to beat Australia? At least this time round they're only playing NZ...

Well the genuine English guys haven't been good enough for 30 years so I guess anything is worth a shot? Tonga beat NZ and nearly beat England with a mostly NZ/Aus born squad, did it matter to their success?

adamkungl

Immortal
Well the genuine English guys haven't been good enough for 30 years so I guess anything is worth a shot? Tonga beat NZ and nearly beat England with a mostly NZ/Aus born squad, did it matter to their success?

Tonga's players are mostly NRL, and the key ones good enough to make Aus or NZ or SOO.
England's picking blokes who bailed to SL because they didn't get picked up by an NRL side...

If England got a genuine NRL star to jump ship on heritage rule, more power to them.
Picking up offcasts because "anything is worth a shot" is pretty sad, regardless of whether the rules allow it.
I guess Austin's got some X-Factor but jeez there are better players running around Super League than Coote or in previous years Chris Heighington

Perth Red

Post Whore
Mate try being an England fan, its been pretty sad all my life! Saw some brief hope in the 90's, mainly because we imported a load of Union talent, and had a sniff last year but reality is SL is so far behind the NRL due to the money in the game in Australia and the prolific PI players in the comp, that we are damned if we do or damned if we dont.

In fact for the sake of international RL Kangaroos should be disbanded and Australia can concentrate on what it cares about, SOO.
That would leave a much more competitive international arena with potentially 3 or 4 nations battling for silverware.

Springs09

Juniors
Mate try being an England fan, its been pretty sad all my life! Saw some brief hope in the 90's, mainly because we imported a load of Union talent, and had a sniff last year but reality is SL is so far behind the NRL due to the money in the game in Australia and the prolific PI players in the comp, that we are damned if we do or damned if we dont.

In fact for the sake of international RL Kangaroos should be disbanded and Australia can concentrate on what it cares about, SOO.
That would leave a much more competitive international arena with potentially 3 or 4 nations battling for silverware.

Why do you always say such dumb shit? Imagine RU saying ‘for the sake of competitiveness let’s disband our most popular and recognisable brand the All Blacks’

England always this inferiority complex over Australia. Let’s play Bateman in the centres and pick frickin’ McQueen and Heighington in the forwards because Bateman is ‘too small’. Now he’s over here and has been the best forward in the comp so far.
Let’s pick bloody Austin and Hastings and Rangi Chase for England despite beating NZ with English halves.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Why do you always say such dumb shit? Imagine RU saying ‘for the sake of competitiveness let’s disband our most popular and recognisable brand the All Blacks’

England always this inferiority complex over Australia. Let’s play Bateman in the centres and pick frickin’ McQueen and Heighington in the forwards because Bateman is ‘too small’. Now he’s over here and has been the best forward in the comp so far.
Let’s pick bloody Austin and Hastings and Rangi Chase for England despite beating NZ with English halves.

(with) tongue in cheek
phrase of tongue

1. speaking or writing in an ironic or insincere way.
    "one suspects that he is writing with tongue in cheek"

Springs09

Juniors

(with) tongue in cheek
phrase of tongue

1. speaking or writing in an ironic or insincere way.
    "one suspects that he is writing with tongue in cheek"

Oh right sure you’re always sarcastic when you say the dumbest shit every time you post

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
GB doesn't need overseas born players, unless they have some sort of quota for Scottish, Irish and Welsh players that I'm not aware of. None of the heratige players would make the current English squad who were 6 points away from being world champions in 2017. Pick the strongest squad available even if they are all English.

Pommy

Coach
GB doesn't need overseas born players, unless they have some sort of quota for Scottish, Irish and Welsh players that I'm not aware of. None of the heratige players would make the current English squad who were 6 points away from being world champions in 2017. Pick the strongest squad available even if they are all English.

There should be no option for Scottish and Irish players as they are needed for qualifying.

roughyedspud

Coach

And call them England

Pommy

Coach

The players being talked about aren’t going to be eligible on the residency rule though are they?
Austin, Coote etc are all heritage I think.
I still don’t want England to use heritage players either. We were close at the last World Cup and I don’t think we need Australians not good enough to play for Australia.