What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

GB to win test

the saint

Juniors
1 Wellens
2 Carney
3 Senior
4 Gleeson
5 Darren Albert (dispensation from the queen)
6 Sinfield
7 Long
8 Fielden
9 Cunningham
10 Macdermott
11 Farrell
12 Morley
13 Sculthorpe

subs:Radlinski,Peacock,Newton,Bennett

You must be craping your self looking at that line up

JJ

Immortal
sometimes that happens when you laugh too hard

looks pretty ordinary to me!!

I'm a Kiwi - and it's time to face facts. Australia could line up 6 or 7 sides that would all beat NZ or the UK regularly. Yes - we can both win occasionally, sometimes even against their top line up - probably more to do with their complacency than anything.

You're delusional if you think anyone is worried about that line, lmfao

McDermott???? that's the best you've got, give me a break!!!!! The Aussies play at such a pace that the thuggery (you might call it intimidation) he offers is irrelevant. The only guys there that would be considered for a Kangaroo squad are Morely and Cunningham - and only Morely would make it!!

Who wants a 2nd rower that thinks they're a halfback????? (Farrell)

Moffo said:
how bloody old is mcdermott???

Cheers,
Moffo

Good question! Wasn't he around when Harragon, Walters. S and Ian Roberts were AUstralias front row? Around the 94 Roo tour or perhaps earlier??

I think it is good that RSL is improving. I hope that one day it is as strong as the NRL. When this is so, it will mean leagues is way stronger internationally

In-goal

Bench
I would be very surprised if Barrie got a run, And yes it was him that nearly killed poor old Siro back in 94.

GB team most likely
Radlinski
Carney
Senior
Gleeson(i wouldn't pick him but Waite will)
Pryce(realy needs to leave Bradford)
Sculthorpe
Long/Deacon
Fielden
Cunningham
Morley
Farrell
Peacock
Sinfield

I wouldn't be surprised if they line up like this with the Bench consisting of Forshaw, Anderson, Horne plus Bailey.

That realy is an increadible side, one which i believe could beat this Australian team.

JJ

Immortal
What's incredible about it???

I still maintain - Cunningham would be looked at - but is not as good as Buderus and Wing.
Morely would make the Aussie team - but that's it.

If Australia by some miracle lose, then the coach and selectors must take all the blame.

In-Goal, what is the perception of David Waite as a coach over there?

I only ask cause I played under him in 95 (he was in SA as coaching director. Ran the 19's and senior squads which I played in both). I liked him and thought he had a really good head for the game. He also talked you up without going over the top and I reacted really well to his style.

What have the GB players had to say over the years?

JJ

Immortal
David Waite's a bllody good coach - St George Illawarra should have kept him

ali

Bench
JJ said:
What's incredible about it???

I still maintain - Cunningham would be looked at - but is not as good as Buderus and Wing.
Morely would make the Aussie team - but that's it.

If Australia by some miracle lose, then the coach and selectors must take all the blame.

JJ give me your thoughts on Jamie Peackock, Stuart Fieldon and Ryan Bailey? Do you know who they are? Do you even know who they play for? Do you rate them?

I think GB will field a pack that can get over the top of us. They have a good 5/8 in Sculthorpe and one good centre in Senior. The rest of their backline will be fairly ordinary but their pack at full strength can get over this Aussie pack.

In-goal

Bench
In-Goal, what is the perception of David Waite as a coach over there?

Sorry mate but i am in Australia, I have friends over there who think highly for what he has done to the entire RL setup. Some think of him more as the technicle director and not as the G.B. coach and so would like to see an Englishman in charge of the national team, but keep David Waite as just the director.

If you go to the RFL site you will understand more of what i am on about.
www.rfl.uk.com

JasonE

Bench
Ali
I dont think the rest of the backline are ordinary, I'd have Pryce (if he wins the court case), I believe he has more ability than Wendell Sailor had at the same age, Gleeson or Ellis are both young and we havent seen anywhere near the best of them yet.
Richard Horne imo is the most gifted player in the UK and would be my fullback, he has the ability to play a similiar role for GB that Lockyer plays for Brisbane, Horne playing behind a great pack would be awesome.
I think Waite may pick Lee Gilmour on one wing, if he does he will be hoping he performs as he did v NZ last year where he was great, he is a good athlete.

In-goal

Bench
Ali
I dont think the rest of the backline are ordinary, I'd have Pryce (if he wins the court case), I believe he has more ability than Wendell Sailor had at the same age, Gleeson or Ellis are both young and we havent seen anywhere near the best of them yet.
Richard Horne imo is the most gifted player in the UK and would be my fullback, he has the ability to play a similiar role for GB that Lockyer plays for Brisbane, Horne playing behind a great pack would be awesome.
I think Waite may pick Lee Gilmour on one wing, if he does he will be hoping he performs as he did v NZ last year where he was great, he is a good athlete.

Pretty much have to agree with that, if only Pryce would realise that he could be one of the worlds great wingers and stop stuffing around every were else at Bradford.

Mad Duck said:
I'll be cheering GB and NZ on to beat us, but I'll be surprised if they do it.
Yeah i hope they both beat us coz then they mite get rid of Anderson and Kimmorley. But even thought it aint the best side AUstralia could have, it is still a pretty good side.

JJ

Immortal
JJ give me your thoughts on Jamie Peackock, Stuart Fieldon and Ryan Bailey? Do you know who they are? Do you even know who they play for? Do you rate them?

Yes - I know who they are, yes I rate them. No I don't profess to be an expert on English league.

But, I will say this:
1. The standard seems to be the highest it's ever been - and I put some of that down to the increased presence of Australian coaches and players.
2. They had to improve - the old story about the Aussies being boring, definsive sides was an absolute joke.
3.Every Kangaroo tour, the English shout from the rooftops that they have the team to beat the Australians this time. If they actually do this time, it is because this is a weak Australian team due to injuries.

So - to summarise - yes, by and large they are good players. But they don't have the depth of quality, and hence the standard of competition that the Australian (well, let's be honest the East Coast) has... League is the premier winter sport in NSW and QLD --> therefore the best talent playes it. This is not the case in England (who can make up for it to some extent with a bigger population) or NZ

In-goal

Bench
Peacock and Fielden both play for the Bradford Bulls.
Ryan Bailey is from the Leeds Rhinos, he was also one of the young stars that put the Australian Schoolboys to the sword last year,

ali

Bench
JasonE said:
Ali

I didn't mean to be harsh, I just don't think any of those players could get anywhere near a jersey in this Aussie side. I am still waiting for Pryce and Horne to fulfil their enourmous potential. Gilmour was good last year and Ellis impressed me in the sevens. But in general it is my opinion that the pommie forwards are far superior to their backs. You can also get that feeling from the range of debate at totalrl.com every time outside backs are mentioned. There seems to be about 10 three quarters that some people rate and others think are rubbish.

ali

Bench
JJ said:

Yes - I know who they are, yes I rate them. No I don't profess to be an expert on English league.

But, I will say this:
1. The standard seems to be the highest it's ever been - and I put some of that down to the increased presence of Australian coaches and players.
2. They had to improve - the old story about the Aussies being boring, definsive sides was an absolute joke.
3.Every Kangaroo tour, the English shout from the rooftops that they have the team to beat the Australians this time. If they actually do this time, it is because this is a weak Australian team due to injuries.

So - to summarise - yes, by and large they are good players. But they don't have the depth of quality, and hence the standard of competition that the Australian (well, let's be honest the East Coast) has... League is the premier winter sport in NSW and QLD --> therefore the best talent playes it. This is not the case in England (who can make up for it to some extent with a bigger population) or NZ

I follow the game over there closely and I have no doubt they improved incredably in the last 6 years, since I first saw their teams in the WCC. the quality of young players coming through is similar to ours, just with a bit less depth. Despite their population, more people play league down here.

I think they are a year or so away from putting out a test side that can match our best anywhere any time. As said above, the likes of Pryce, Horne and Chev Walker (young veterans as John Lang would call them), need to step up. Increased government funding is helping them imensely, as can be seen from the improved form of their rah rah side, their athletics team, and even slightly their cricket team. But with our withdrawals, I think a pommie team close to full strength, can win the series. Whether they are going to be close to full strength is yet to be seen.

Latest posts