What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

GBR - GB International Team

Charge

Juniors
Accounting for current injuries I would sellect the following team:

1 ) Mathers (Leeds) or Briscoe (Hull) (I just can't decide)
2 ) Carney (Wigan)
3 ) Senior (Leeds)
4 ) Walker (Leeds)
5 ) Radlinski (Wigan) (He has played on the wing before, is very fast, a great support player, and can catch a high ball).
6 ) McGuire (Leeds)
7 ) Deacon (Bradford) or Burrow (Leeds) (Would have been Horne (Hull) :cry: )
8 ) Morley (Sidney)
9 ) Newton (Wigan)
10 ) Fielden (Bradford)
11 ) Farrell (Wigan)
12 ) Ellis (Wakefield)
13 ) P Sculthorpe (St Helens)

14 ) Cunningham (St Helens) (Rotational prop & Hooker)
15 ) Peacock (Bradford)
16 ) Sinfield (Leeds) (Plays consistantly well and can cover halfback injuries)
17 ) D Sculthorpe (Wigan) or McDonald (Leeds) (but would have been King (Hull))

Anyone agree/ think its stupid? What would be your team?

GB Lion

Juniors
Radlinski aint a winger - when has he played on the wing before?

1. Radlinski/Mathers/Wellens/Briscoe -------- I cant decide but its noble who has to make the decision

2. Carney (IF fit)
3.Walker
4. Senior
5. Pryce
6.McGuire
7. Long/ Deacon (I dunno)
8. Morley
9. Newton
10. Fielden
11. Farrell
12. Peacock
13. Sculthorpe

14. Sinfield
15. Ellis
16. ???????
17. ???????

Remember Brian Noble is the coach - so expect a couple more bradford players in this year ( Harris, Pratt, Anderson etc)

Remember if u dont agree with me squad it s only my opinion.

Charge

Juniors
Wigan RL said:
Radlinski aint a winger - when has he played on the wing before?

When he fist started playing for wigan - which I admit is quite a while ago.
I think Reardon will be picked on the wing since Noble has been playing him there for Bradford recently.

I have also been thinking that it would be a mistake to pick Anderson againt Aus because he can miss tackles if smaller guys like Kimmorly decide to run round him. However, against NZ it may be good to have his size to counter their size - especially sice they are missing Jones.

There is a good chance he will change the team quite a bit every week with GB playing 4 or 5 (if we get to the final) back to back matches and the other teams getting weekends off.

sunny

Paul Anderson= Corey Pearson's long lost brother. Possibly the fattest bloke I have ever seen in rugby league.

PARRA_FAN

Coach
:sleeper:

Isnt that the same GB side that choked it against Australia 3 times and cracked under pressure when they expected to win. And Paul Anderson??? I mean what is he doing there Ive never seen him do anything, as well Farrell, Newton, Long, Peacock.

The ones that have impressed me are Sculthorpe, Deacon, Fielden and Carney. Plus I like Brian Noble I think he's a good coach and intelligent as well, a lot better than David Waite.

If GB picked a younger side they'll be strong.

Charge

Juniors
PARRA_FAN said:
:sleeper:

Isnt that the same GB side that choked it against Australia 3 times and cracked under pressure when they expected to win. And Paul Anderson??? I mean what is he doing there Ive never seen him do anything, as well Farrell, Newton, Long, Peacock.

The ones that have impressed me are Sculthorpe, Deacon, Fielden and Carney. Plus I like Brian Noble I think he's a good coach and intelligent as well, a lot better than David Waite.

If GB picked a younger side they'll be strong.

Paul Anderson isn't in any of our 1st choice teams :? I mentioned him to play against NZ, but only because they are lacking a bit in the halfbacks, but have a huge pack.

The teams mentioned above are also quite a bit different to the ones from the Ashes series too. In those games whe had a loose forward who later admitted he wasn't fit due to injury playing at stand off. We had a Stand off/Scrum half on the wing. We had Anderson, McDermot and Forshaw in the pack, and we played Connoly as well. This year we have a choice of a few good stand offs, we have a younger, bigger, faster pack and the younger ones from last year will have a year more of experience. I think that the GB team I picked for this year would beat the GB team of last year 4 out of 5 times. It's just a shame we can't have Horne or King :cry:

DrewBeliever

Juniors
I'd have Long over Deacon.
Then again, it's taking a risk with him been banned for 3 months, and Nobby and the coaching staff only getting to view Sean play twice, Deacons probably got the higher advantage at the mo.

DrewBeliever

Juniors
my squad would most likely look like the following;

1. Radlinski, to look at anoyne else is just stupid. He is our best fullback in Britain.
2. Brian Carney
3. Kieth Senior
4. --------------
5. Leon Pryce
6. Paul Sculthorpe
7. Sean Long/Paul Deacon/Rob Burrows
8. Adrian Morley
9. Terry Newton
10. Stuart Fielden
11. Andrew Farrell
12. Jamie Peacock
13. Paul Sculthorpe
This is my squad so far with the deffinates.
I will have to come back and complete the squad before the day after the Grand Final, as I have a few undeciders to pick.

GB Lion

Juniors
So Parra Fan your saying get rid of Farrell, Newton, Long - Yeh those 3 have done nothing all year have they :roll: :roll: :roll: #-o

Yeh sure get rid of Farrell and Long and Newton :roll: :roll: :lol: :lol:

have you watched the ESL this year or what?????

Who we gonna pick ahead of Newton??? Cunningham :lol: :lol:

Fairleigh Good!

Juniors
1 - Wellens (St Helens)
2 - Reardon (Carney isn't fit enough) (Bradford)
3 - Gleeson (Warrington)
4 - Senior (Leeds)
5 - Pryce (Bradford)
6 - McGuire (Leeds)
7 - Long (St Helens)
8 - Fielden (Bradford)
9 - Higham (St Helens)
10 - Morley (Sydney)
11 - Peacock (Bradford)
12 - Ellis (Wakefield)
13 - Sculthorpe (St Helens)

14 - Farrell (Wigan)
15 - Fozzard (St Helens)
16 - Gilmour (St Helens)
17 - Walker (Leeds)

That IS the best 17 we could field.

Charge

Juniors
Fairleigh Good! said:
1 - Wellens (St Helens)
3 - Gleeson (Warrington)
4 - Senior (Leeds)
5 - Pryce (Bradford)
6 - McGuire (Leeds)
7 - Long (St Helens)
8 - Fielden (Bradford)
9 - Higham (St Helens)
10 - Morley (Sydney)
11 - Peacock (Bradford)
12 - Ellis (Wakefield)

14 - Farrell (Wigan)
15 - Fozzard (St Helens)
16 - Gilmour (St Helens)
17 - Walker (Leeds)

Interestingly different, but you have picked 6 players from St Helens who went out of the 1st round of the playoffs and who have had a very poor 2nd half to the season.

On another note, Cunningham has ruled himself out for the tounament, because of this, and what I have seen since I wrote my original post, I would change my team to the following:

1 ) Radlinski (Wigan)
2 ) Carney (Wigan)
3 ) Senior (Leeds)
4 ) Walker (Leeds)
5 ) Reardon (Bradford) - (been playing well on the wing recently)
6 ) McGuire (Leeds)
7 ) Deacon (Bradford) or Burrow (Leeds)
8 ) Morley (Sidney)
9 ) Newton (Wigan)
10 ) Fielden (Bradford)
11 ) Farrell (Wigan)
12 ) Ellis (Wakefield)

14 ) McDonald (Leeds)
15 ) Peacock (Bradford)
16 ) Sinfield (Leeds)
17 ) D Sculthorpe (Wigan)

Fairleigh Good!

Juniors
Charge said:
Fairleigh Good! said:
1 - Wellens (St Helens)
3 - Gleeson (Warrington)
4 - Senior (Leeds)
5 - Pryce (Bradford)
6 - McGuire (Leeds)
7 - Long (St Helens)
8 - Fielden (Bradford)
9 - Higham (St Helens)
10 - Morley (Sydney)
11 - Peacock (Bradford)
12 - Ellis (Wakefield)

14 - Farrell (Wigan)
15 - Fozzard (St Helens)
16 - Gilmour (St Helens)
17 - Walker (Leeds)

Interestingly different, but you have picked 6 players from St Helens who went out of the 1st round of the playoffs and who have had a very poor 2nd half to the season.

On another note, Cunningham has ruled himself out for the tounament, because of this, and what I have seen since I wrote my original post, I would change my team to the following:

1 ) Radlinski (Wigan)
2 ) Carney (Wigan)
3 ) Senior (Leeds)
4 ) Walker (Leeds)
5 ) Reardon (Bradford) - (been playing well on the wing recently)
6 ) McGuire (Leeds)
7 ) Deacon (Bradford) or Burrow (Leeds)
8 ) Morley (Sidney)
9 ) Newton (Wigan)
10 ) Fielden (Bradford)
11 ) Farrell (Wigan)
12 ) Ellis (Wakefield)

14 ) McDonald (Leeds)
15 ) Peacock (Bradford)
16 ) Sinfield (Leeds)
17 ) D Sculthorpe (Wigan)

I might actually change it a little because I forgot about Ryan Bailey, perhaps swap him for Fozzard.

I think too much of the GB team is picked by the media and those two idiots in particular.

Players like Radlinski, Newton and Deacon just simply aren't good enough to play at that level. Radlinski in particular amazes me by getting in every year despite never being the form full back. This year he is behind Wellens, Briscoe and Mathers yet will stick play all the Tri Nations games.

Some ground rules.

1. People picking Sean Long are idiots.
2. People picking Rob Burrow are idiots.
3. People picking backup halves on the bench are idiots.

From there, you can do what you like. But if you break, or even attemp to question the ground rules of picking a GB side, you are a fool who obviously doesnt know much about Rugby League.

Charge

Juniors
nospam49 said:
Some ground rules.

From there, you can do what you like. But if you break, or even attemp to question the ground rules of picking a GB side, you are a fool who obviously doesnt know much about Rugby League.

Out of all the teams chosen so far only 1 breaks one of your 3 rules (rule 1). So you must be quite happy with our selections.

The Observer

Staff member
Cunningham, King, Horne have been ruled out with injury.

1 - Briscoe (a British fullback with pace)
2 - Carney (if he's not fit, Pryce or Walker)
3 - Radlinski (has played for England and GB 8 times in the position, excellent tackler).
4 - Senior (can move into 2nd row, did so for England in RLWC 2000)
5 - Reardon (strong bullocking ball carrier)
6 - Long (has the pace and the step)
7 - Deacon (must be there, noone else can organise the team)
8 - Fielden (also covers 2nd row)
9 - Diskin (Newton is tough, skilful but too ill disciplined).
10 - Morley (also covers 2nd row)
11 - Farrell (c)
12 - Peacock
13 - P Sculthorpe

14 - Fozzard (prop, the man goes forward)
15 - D Sculthorpe (prop, ball player)
16 - McGuire (covers halves and dummy half, bring him on at 6)
17 - Ellis (covers centres and backrow)

Misanthrope

Staff member
I like the look of your team Joker. I haven't been able to see a lot of ESL this year, but the general consensus on a lot of those players is that they've performed.

Charge said:
nospam49 said:
Some ground rules.

Out of all the teams chosen so far only 1 breaks one of your 3 rules (rule 1). So you must be quite happy with our selections.

Notice Joker saw the rules....and then picked Long anyway! :lol:

PARRA_FAN

Coach
Wigan RL said:
So Parra Fan your saying get rid of Farrell, Newton, Long - Yeh those 3 have done nothing all year have they :roll: :roll: :roll: #-o

Yeh sure get rid of Farrell and Long and Newton :roll: :roll: :lol: :lol:

have you watched the ESL this year or what?????

Who we gonna pick ahead of Newton??? Cunningham :lol: :lol:

Cunningham, yeah I wish :roll: his form has been shocking.

And I dont have to watch ESL, just that whenever I see Farrell play test football, he goes missing. In fact he's the laughing stock in GB side. I mean he's the captain isnt he.

In fact I have watched ESL just not enough, the players I rate are Fielden, Senior, Carney, Ellis and that Leeds halfback.

Sean Long is alright, but he's nothing to rave on about. Cmon Ive seen better halfbacks in ESL.

And Richard Horne playing on the wing was a big mistake last year, isnt he a halfback???

GB Lion

Juniors
Sean Long is alright, but he's nothing to rave on about. Cmon Ive seen better halfbacks in ESL

:lol: name one then whos English

19 rounds of SL and Long was gonna be the Man of Steel, Players Player and every accolade under the sun. He was Awesome. And then the betting scandal , it was his fault but Long is better than any other halfback in Britain.

Latest posts