What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

General Discussion Thread

mxlegend99

Referee
Just the thread to ask this random question...

I'm seeking advice / clarification on the timing of a first grade debut.

I've been doing some research on Steve Carter for an article I'm writing and noted that before he debuted at Penrith in 1988 that he had played a season at the Barrow Raiders in the second tier Championship in 1987/88.

So whilst Steve Carter had made his Australian debut at the Panthers, was his first grade debut actually at Barrow? My initial thoughts are yes as it was in official competition, where teams if they were good enough would be promoted to the first tier (whatever it was called before Super League).
http://www.rugbyleagueproject.org/players/steve-carter/summary.html

Not sure if this helps. But I think you're right about it counting.

mxlegend99

Referee
So does anyone want to argue Hook is better thsn Cleary?

His reject non premiership quality team has knocked off the two premiership favorites. Both teams sit on 2 wins... but Ivan should be on ZERO wins while we're sitting exactly where we should.

Last edited:

OldPanther

Coach
Sodoes anyone want to argue Hook is better thsn Cleary?

His rejelct non premiership quality team has knocked off the two premiership favorites. Both teams dit on 2wins... but }Ivan should be on ZERO wins while we're sitting exactly where we should.

Fletcher coming out and saying they will be bottom 4 while we are in the top is going to bite us in the butt.

I don't remember the exact quote but close enouugh.

Pomoz

Bench
Sodoes anyone want to argue Hook is better thsn Cleary?

His rejelct non premiership quality team has knocked off the two premiership favorites. Both teams dit on 2wins... but }Ivan should be on ZERO wins while we're sitting exactly where we should.
Who cares? He is there and Hook is here. 2 for 2 and 2 for 2. Give it a rest already.

Sime_11

Juniors
Ivan already working his magic there defensively - when he was coaching here years back that was the first thing i noticed, how our team defended and continued to grind out defensive sets rather than just give in.

mxlegend99

Referee
Last off season we supposedly focused on defence. We missed more tackles than any other team

This off-season we focused on our starts... we're now even worse than we were with that

snickers007

Juniors
This week's 14 point start was completely different to last week's.

Last week:
- dropped ball early coming out of our own end
- stupid penalties late in tackle count
- terrible edge defence

This week:
- against the run of play full length try
- dropped ball in opposition half trying to play football

Apples and oranges. The scoreline itself is the only commonality. Eels were very good in attack last week, Rabbits were very good in defence this week.

mxlegend99

Referee
This week's 14 point start was completely different to last week's.

Last week:
- dropped ball early coming out of our own end
- stupid penalties late in tackle count
- terrible edge defence

This week:
- against the run of play full length try
- dropped ball in opposition half trying to play football

Apples and oranges. The scoreline itself is the only commonality. Eels were very good in attack last week, Rabbits were very good in defence this week.
We aren't able to score points until the opposition get tired. When we do score points its from freakish efforts of players and not set plays.

We've got a terrific spine. We should have a few set plays that create overlaps to get our centres and wingers the ball with space. But we dont. Every set we end up being marked easily outwide. And it takes freakish efforts to score. Pure strength last week from Blake and Kikau. Likewise Blake, Merrin and Peachey last night.

We need to create set plays to get space out wide. Not wait until defences get tired to crash through them.

franklin2323

Immortal
MX no one is doing that in Round 2. Infact as of Thursday night one of the GF teams from last year will have 1 win from 3 games.. Some of you guys have crazy expectations

mxlegend99

Referee
MX no one is doing that in Round 2. Infact as of Thursday night one of the GF teams from last year will have 1 win from 3 games.. Some of you guys have crazy expectations
Eels last week created overlaps on our edge for their tries. Good set plays that created dimple tries.

Souths didnt do it against us. They just exposed our broken defensive line.

But set plays are most certainly being used and working for other teams. We have big powerful backs. Get them the ball with space and they can win a one on one contest more often than not. Trouble is they're always matched for numbers. Blakes just smashing his way through.

How is a set play an unreasonable expectation? That shit is the most basic league expectation. Other than not dropping the ball ofcourse.

franklin2323

Immortal
It is 2 games into the season so players don't have timing yet. 2 games into a new halves combination. we have scored the same amount of tries as Roosters have yet played better teams

martielang

Bench
Maybe I’m being over positive but Ive seen more in our attack this year then last year already. Souths were defensively strong on their line yesterday but we kept plugging away & eventually got the points. Granted, the last play bomb every set needs to go.

Same with our defence. Our structures are looking much improved, especially with Whare back. We seem a lot more aggressive off our line too. Their two tries yesterday were good football opportunist tries, nothing to do with a misread or defenders on the outside not trusting their inside men etc. Hook switching Yeo to cover Maloney to start the game has worked a treat.