What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

general weekly program vs specific area targeting

Kurt Angle

First Grade
My issue is the fact I'm lifting on a cut.

Then why reference what you're lifting now?

Just eat eggs and steak and harden the f*ck up.

I turn 40 in a month and I've made the humbling decision to cut down on the number of intense workouts. I also do a deload week once every month or so. Currently I have a tweaked back and tendinitis in one forearm. f**k.

hehe, as I said about scale of weight, anyone who benches their bodyweight is not a newb.

The op is after a newb workout, which means he isn't after pb's and doesn't need to work on isolations just yet.

he needs to starts off much lower to get his nervous system fired up and to build up proper form.

So you're about a year older than me. I just came back from malaysia, people couldn't beleive my holiday consisted of Serge Bouchet style 6x16's high vol stuff every 2nd day.

Sorry to hear about your back, it did reflect in your ratios though... but you've alwways had that 4.5 foot torso length, 1.5 foot leg length sort of build....

My shoulder is fubar, I have to replace my 3 sets of OHPs, with

3 sets lat delt raises
3 set front delt raises
3 sets pull down lat
3 sets barbell lever

Kurt Angle

First Grade
going to go with this, which is basically the same as KA lists above
only real question will be how i go at increasing my load effectively

What do you mean? lift heavier?

The 3x8 is the key.

You discover the weight where you can do 8 reps, and the 9th is just a little beyond you.

Start off small(er) than you expect. Form is much more important than weight.

Don't let your ego shape anyway you do this, it's better to have people smirk at you, than strain muscles or develop poor form.

So keep discovering your 8 rep limit.

Even last night, what was my previous bench pb, I threw around quite easliy for 8 reps, I'll be raising it 2kg thursday night.

Thomas

First Grade
Just eat eggs and steak and harden the f*ck up.

Yeah, I'm just f**king terrified of the scales. It's such a silly thing too. Still, I'm losing inches in my waist and not losing strength

The op is after a newb workout, which means he isn't after pb's and doesn't need to work on isolations just yet.

he needs to starts off much lower to get his nervous system fired up and to build up proper form.

Yeah. 3x8 is great. I started off doing 5x5 and then 3x5. I'll probably switch back to 3x8 when I get bored.

So you're about a year older than me. I just came back from malaysia, people couldn't beleive my holiday consisted of Serge Bouchet style 6x16's high vol stuff every 2nd day.

Sorry to hear about your back, it did reflect in your ratios though... but you've alwways had that 4.5 foot torso length, 1.5 foot leg length sort of build....

I'm not as much as a dogsbody as you'd think. My brother in law looks like ET.

My shoulder is fubar, I have to replace my 3 sets of OHPs, with

3 sets lat delt raises
3 set front delt raises
3 sets pull down lat
3 sets barbell lever

That'll do the trick. It's weird though, front delt raises really sting my shoulder. So much that I don't do them for fear of injury. Still, I can heft bars above my head so I shouldn't complain/

urban eel

Juniors
started this last week.
spent today building a squat rack. to save me taking the weight up over my head
will finish it off next weekend to include bench press ability

What do you mean? lift heavier?

The 3x8 is the key.

You discover the weight where you can do 8 reps, and the 9th is just a little beyond you.

Start off small(er) than you expect. Form is much more important than weight.

Don't let your ego shape anyway you do this, it's better to have people smirk at you, than strain muscles or develop poor form.

So keep discovering your 8 rep limit.

Even last night, what was my previous bench pb, I threw around quite easliy for 8 reps, I'll be raising it 2kg thursday night.

only doing it all at home so no ego involved.
but i was surprised by lack of soreness.and with the form side of things each night im youtubing one of the exercises and focusing on form for that one

Kurt Angle

First Grade
started this last week.

Excellent news my friend. Right gear is always beneficial.

Building it yourself is the sign of a winner.

but i was surprised by lack of soreness.and with the form side of things each night im youtubing one of the exercises and focusing on form for that one

Well a couple of things.

The younger you are, the less prone to soreness is one. That is the magic of testosterone.

Also warm up and warm downs play a big part. I use a foam roller in my warm down, deep tissue my quads, hip flexors, hip abductors and upper back.

it has been so (welcomingly) surprising that when any sort of muscle twinge makes itself known so early, whilst your muscles are still warm, your body has the amazing abiltiy to heal it.

But total lack of soreness seems a bit peculiar.

As I said with the 3x8... or what ever program you do.

Is the 8th (last) lift, especially on the 3rd set, a real struggle? You have to be in a place where a 9th feels impossible.

urban eel

Juniors
not a total lack of soreness. just less than expected
i guessing even the sparodic workouts in the preceeding months have helped

will be moving two of the lifts up in weight and then really focus on the the form side
most likely add a few more exercises to round the workout up to the full hour

innsaneink

Referee
started this last week.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SXMkVF0HArk

Maybe some more ideas for you

RHCP

Bench
There can be plenty of gain even with no pain.

If you're struggling with form, I've always found T-Nation and Elitefts to be good resources, the articles usually have relevant and useful videos embedded in them as well as a written explanation. T-Nation especially, guys like Dan John and Eric Cressey can break it down well, but be careful, because 80% of the merkins just want to sell you a supplement.

Thomas

First Grade
I find some of the articles on T-Nation to be blatantly wrong or just link-bait. There's some good in there though.

I'm currently reading Dan John's Intervention. It's a bit of an eye-opener to a 40yo bloke who keeps getting injured.

Cliffhanger

Coach
Lifting heavy weights is the best way to burn fat because if how it stimulates your nervous system, it's a myth that cardio is the best option, however at the end of the day, there's no substitute for eating clean.

I workout forr days a week at the moment, and climb four days. I do upper body power sessions as part of my climbing training. For my weights training each session is started off with a major compound lower body lift, it's either, squat, power clean or dead lift. Then I either do upper body pull and twist, or upper body push movement patterns. It will always be a combination of vertical and horizontal movements.

urban eel

Juniors
well been doing this for 11-12 weeks now.
defiantly better doing the same routine 3 times a week. I’ve added a few extra exercises to increase the workout time to around an hour. chest dumbell fly and tri pull downs etc.

steadily increasing weight and making RM (still don’t understand these) most sessions in one form or the other
noticing a positive change in muscle density without any real size increase yet.
strength has increased a lot and feeling it in most areas. Going to need a new bench and a few more bigger plates very shortly
now i’ve got the habit going i will start to focus on diet and take advantage of the regular working out

Kurt Angle

First Grade
Good to hear your strength increasing brother.

You feeling more clear headed? More focused? More prone to take risk? Hornier?

All testosterone.

Size is all about diet, caloric surplus and you need protein for your muscles