What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Geoff Daniela

tiger_nick

Bench
Been told by a mate the tigers are close to signing him.

Ive seen him play a few games and he seems to be very average.

Will this be another typical Sheens signing?

bigfoot

Juniors
Nah mate, he's a good player in my opinion.

Hasn't been able to show his full potential and hold down a permanent first grade spot in recent seasons due to injury, however has been given another chance this season with our huge injury toll and has been very impressive.

Very, very fast, solid player.
With our team at full strength, I would have him starting at centre (or on the wing with Gordon at centre).

Will be annoyed if we lose him tbh. :p

EDIT: Hopefully he is fit to play for us this week against the Eels. Guess we will find out very soon with the teams being announced.

Last edited:

mean_maori_mean

Juniors
Been told by a mate the tigers are close to signing him.

Ive seen him play a few games and he seems to be very average.

Will this be another typical Sheens signing?

back last year or the year before - I was looking at him as a future kiwi rep.

Had limited opportunities - I think he has plenty of talent.

Compared to Beau "Average" Ryan - which when watching tigers is the nickname I use - he miles better.

Ryan is solid put in effort - but honestly is such a negative move to pick players purely because they are "safe".

I.e - Elford / Ben lowe in the centres lol.

abpanther

Staff member
I think he is a solid prospect, he is a bit overated IMO by Panther fans, I have yet to see him create many chances on his own, he is more of a solid finisher with speed.

I think he could develop nicely if he stays fit, I will definitely be pissed off though if we let him walk for Brett Delaney

Kilkenny

Coach
I think he is a solid prospect, he is a bit overated IMO by Panther fans, I have yet to see him create many chances on his own, he is more of a solid finisher with speed.

I think he could develop nicely if he stays fit, I will definitely be pissed off though if we let him walk for Brett Delaney

The performances of Daniella certainly do not match the hype. Likewise Abpanther I have not ever seen Geoff make a break of his own creation. Has scored a few tries from kick's into the ingoal and finished backline movements from a few metres out but am yet to see him in open space with the ball.

I would probably retain him but on a small contract only.

choc_soldier

Coach
Yeah, I'll side with abpanther and Kilkenny here - has been the beneficiary of some great backline movements with his tries, unlike Jennings who creates his chances.

Would love to keep him as he is definitely of first grade standard and would make a solid partnership with Jenko.

Wouldn't be the worse signing in Tigers history if it eventuates, put it that way.

Kilkenny

Coach
Yeah, I'll side with abpanther and Kilkenny here - has been the beneficiary of some great backline movements with his tries, unlike Jennings who creates his chances.

Would love to keep him as he is definitely of first grade standard and would make a solid partnership with Jenko.

Wouldn't be the worse signing in Tigers history if it eventuates, put it that way.

I would be surprised if the rumours surrounding Daniella to the West Tigers are anything more than rumour. The West Tigers have more quality youngsters in the outside back than the Panthers and I simply don't see where they could possibly fit Daniella into there backline. They have a number of juniors who have not yet been blooded in the top grade who are more highly rated than what we have so I would be surprised if they are pursuing Daniella. I could be wrong, time will tell.

Kilkenny

Coach
I apologise for the number of posts on this issue, but it is remiss of me not to say the one thing about Geoff Daniella is his apparent commitment to supporting this club.

Over the course of the last three seasons since he made his debut you will always see Geoff Daniella at CUA regardless of whether or not he is in the first grade squad. Even during long spells of injury he always is at the games supporting the club.

Having said that there are others, who shall not be named, fringe first graders or juniors from the under 20's who you see walking out of the ground after they have completed there match commitments in the lower grades, prior to the kick off of the main game. Not a good look.

In my younger days, many years ago, playing in the NSW State League (Soccer) all players from the two lower grades had to stay and support/watch the top grade. Unless you had to go to a funeral or wedding that was the way it was. Not so in the current climate.

maple_69

Bench
Fair enough to. You can learn a thing or two from watching the first graders go round. Not to mention feeling part of the club and supporting it not just in a playing capacity.
Daniela does seem very passionate about the club on the field also.
I'd say judging by his stint or two before this season, he makes an excellent combination with Jennings playing on the wing and that's where I'd put him. He may not be as creative and devastating as Jenko but if he can keep up with him and know Jennings well enough to be in the right spot, he's an incredibly valuable asset. I don't want to see him go at all.
I'd like to see Daniela/Jennings and Gordon/Tia Kilifi.

Kilkenny

Coach
Fair enough to. You can learn a thing or two from watching the first graders go round. Not to mention feeling part of the club and supporting it not just in a playing capacity.
Daniela does seem very passionate about the club on the field also.
I'd say judging by his stint or two before this season, he makes an excellent combination with Jennings playing on the wing and that's where I'd put him. He may not be as creative and devastating as Jenko but if he can keep up with him and know Jennings well enough to be in the right spot, he's an incredibly valuable asset. I don't want to see him go at all.
I'd like to see Daniela/Jennings and Gordon/Tia Kilifi.

Your prefered outside backs is not so bad. Assuming we would be releasing Tighe and Elford who have been automatic selections when fit.

mxlegend99

Referee
Some of the people in here have been a bit harsh on Daniela IMO. He has looked wonderful in his limited game time this season. He's no Michael Jennings, but he is definitely one of our more promising young players and he would have probably been a regular starter last season if it wasn't for injury.

I had pretty much written him off, but was very impressed with how well he fit into our side after being stuck in the lower grades or injured. He should be partnering Michael Jennings in the centres, with Michael Gordon playing on his wing, and Junior Tia Kilifi outside of Jennings.

franklin2323

Immortal

I have to disagree. In JF in 2007 Brett Kenny said he was the best defensive centre in the comp. So He has outscored all our backs except for Jennings. What's he played 6 games and has 5 tries. That's not a bad strikerate.

How come Blair, Tighe or Elford haven't benefited from the same movements? They are S**T. don't compare him to Jennings he's a freak a just under a try a game is great for a number 2 centre

murraymob

Coach
lets get real if waddell comes up to expectations daniella will not be in the team.Yes he will be a loss but what we dont know is how much he is asking to stay.The tigers may well be prepared to pay overs to get him

franklin2323

Immortal
lets get real if waddell comes up to expectations daniella will not be in the team.Yes he will be a loss but what we dont know is how much he is asking to stay.The tigers may well be prepared to pay overs to get him

Yeah if it's overs goodbye Geoff Goodluck. However This club has a record of letting players go without making offers for them. Wright and Isa weren't even offered contracts. Either 1 would be a walk up start to our team ATM. That's why we have no depth.

Wright is SG Ball age still. Isa is NYC age. At least make an offer Penrith Management FFS!!! Waddell may never make it Daniela is here now

mxlegend99

Referee
Yeah i have a feeling we aren't even trying to keep Geoff Daniela. In reality he and Paul Aiton should be our two biggest targets to keep from our off contract players. He's the only bloke we have used this season that has shown any sort of promise outside of Jennings and Gordon.

maple_69

Bench
Overs and he's out the door. I hope we offer him something. I don't know if I really care about Isa, he might have been handy for depth but Wright is the one that really irks me. He is already impressing in first grade at age 18 and most people on here would have predicted that.
Lets face it. Jennings and Gordon should be fixtures in our backline for many years to come. If Waddell impresses he will also be a fixture. Most of us hope that will happen in which case there is a wing spot available for Tia Kilifi/Daniela probably in the next year. If we buy Inu then I guess good night to that discussion. But either way we obviously need solid backups and Daniela would be a better backup centre/wing than most clubs have.

franklin2323

Immortal
i think the club is scared of competion from the young kids to one another. Like come this time next year if we keep Daniela and Waddell like the club is predicting is ready for 1st grade bring it on. Competion is healthy we can always release players if we don't need them. Foran and Fein both are gone from Warriors.

If the club thinks he is worth even 100k. Then ATLEAST make an offer if he gets a better offer then so be it. I don't mind as much losing players if we try to keep them. Clubs that need a centre or 1/2 will pay over to lure them across.

If we keep Daniela or not. We need to sign depth We have shown this year we have a strong 17 and prob a few back 2nd rowers. Then we fall dramtically. We prob don't need stars just go through NYC Teams and get depth. Eg Like the Broncos did with Winterstein

Fibroman

First Grade
Daniella is not a centre. He just hasn't got it. I think he would be a really useful winger, playing outside the likes of Jennings, Gordon and Waddell. His speed and ability to evade tackles is his main attribute.

Kilkenny

Coach
Yeah if it's overs goodbye Geoff Goodluck. However This club has a record of letting players go without making offers for them. Wright and Isa weren't even offered contracts. Either 1 would be a walk up start to our team ATM. That's why we have no depth.

Wright is SG Ball age still. Isa is NYC age. At least make an offer Penrith Management FFS!!! Waddell may never make it Daniela is here now

We were keen to retain both Wright and Isa.

I don't profess to know what the situation was with William Isa but as I recall the club did come out and state they wanted to retain Matthew Wright but were not able to match the ridiculous offer which was made to the player from the Sharks. Matthew Wright is still young but from my observations since he has been selected in the top grade he appears to lack to a couple of vital attributes to be a top class centre in speed and more importantly speed of the mark. I don't think we will rue the loss of Matthew Wright but I wish him well.

Latest posts