What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Get rid of the video referee

siv

First Grade
In goal touch judges get as many calls as the bunker right or wrong in general play eg lost ball / held up - blurry images and slow motion replays dont work well or show unatural views

Where the bunker works well is when a line comes into play

Eg the corner post. Where arms and legs are all in motion together and ref our touch judge view is blocked

Eg did he put his foot out before grounded the ball

And bunker works well for foul play. But we should be able to do a MRC review in near real time and announce charges within 30 min of a game concluding

Last edited:

I Bleed Maroon

Referee
I've been watching matches from the 90's/early 2000's on Fox League and it's illustrating to me just how obnoxiously over-officiated the game is these days.

simmo05

Bench
I've been watching matches from the 90's/early 2000's on Fox League and it's illustrating to me just how obnoxiously over-officiated the game is these days.
I agree totally. It is all about managing the game now, instead of just enforcing the rules. We almost got there last year, however the f**kwits in the media, with way too much say within the game, destroyed the opportunity for change.

Canard

Immortal
Let's just revel in the fact that T-Ģoon thinks the PAT is the pinnacle of the sport of American Football.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
The game was simpler and slower with less athletic players as well. Completely different to now.

Timmah

Staff member
the problem is not the referees or the video referee or the bunker it is that the commentators and cameras over analyse each play and go on about it for too long because there is not enough else going on to commentate on. Too many cameras, too many commentators, too much time between the try and the kick off to restart play.
This is actually a really valid point.

There are 11 or 12 games each round (across both networks) in terms of needing commentary teams. It means we're often scraping the bottom of the barrel and there are lot of them who are either ignorant of or simply don't know the rules or how they're interpreted/applied.

As a result we get rubbish commentary which misinforms viewers/fans and creates unnecessary outrage.

Timmah

Staff member
How athletic players are should have no bearing on how the game is officiated
What?

The speed of the game is different, of course that's going to result in a shift in how officiating works.

simmo05

Bench
Because the game is quicker means that we now manage a game instead of refereeing it?
What?

The speed of the game is different, of course that's going to result in a shift in how officiating works.

So because the game is faster and the players are professionals means that we now manage a game instead of enforcing rules? The game went alright for the first 100 years without the refs feeling the need to manage games

Reactions: siv

Timmah

Staff member
Because the game is quicker means that we now manage a game instead of refereeing it?

So because the game is faster and the players are professionals means that we now manage a game instead of enforcing rules? The game went alright for the first 100 years without the refs feeling the need to manage games
You bought the term "manage games" into it.

I don't like the management aspect referees do either, its junior level shit.

I was simply pointing out that the game today is different to 20 years ago - so of course the way it's officiated changed.

LineBall

Juniors
Give each team 2 challenges per game. Let it be for any call anywhere on the field - including forward passes. Other than that - bring back in-goal judges and let the on-field refs call it as they see it.

IMO would be the best way to try and let the game flow and take some pressure of the refs knowing that if there has been a mistake, then it's up to the the players to call it.

Pommy

Coach
Remember when the NRL backed the refs to enforce the rules and how pissed off everyone got?
Imagine if the refs were expected to make a call, people on here would have a full on Chernobyl.

Knight Vision

First Grade
the video ref gets to watch the replay 1 time and in real time. 15 seconds to make the call. The broadcasters must also play a part - No replays in slow motion.

simmo05

Bench
Remember when the NRL backed the refs to enforce the rules and how pissed off everyone got?
Imagine if the refs were expected to make a call, people on here would have a full on Chernobyl.
Some people got pissed off, not everyone. Unfortunately the nrl got scared of gus gould

simmo05

Bench
You bought the term "manage games" into it.

I don't like the management aspect referees do either, its junior level shit.

I was simply pointing out that the game today is different to 20 years ago - so of course the way it's officiated changed.
Fair enough mate

Saxon

Bench
I don't remember how pissed off everyone got.
I remember how pissed off the media got. Most general punters were actually adjusting to it well; despite the antics of Gould and Johns. People were starting to believe that the refs could force the coaches to control their players.

Then there was the fateful Storm v Sharks game (where, let's face it, both sides deserved to have the hell penalised out of them). Unfortunately that gave Channel Nein another platform to whip the refs from and so as to pacify them, Greenberg threw the refs under the bus for following his instructions.

TheFrog

Coach
The NRL are too heavily invested in the bunker to admit they got it wrong and abandon it.
This is correct. The think is, the more technology you have, the more scope for argument, so long as you are showing the general public the replays. They seem to get most right under current interpretations but there were a couple of howlers in the season just gone.

TheFrog

Coach
Then there was the fateful Storm v Sharks game (where, let's face it, both sides deserved to have the hell penalised out of them). Unfortunately that gave Channel Nein another platform to whip the refs from and so as to pacify them, Greenberg threw the refs under the bus for following his instructions.

Was that the one when the touchie put his flag up? Maybe not. The one where the touchie put his flag up (it was a Sharks try I think) was certainly a howler, ref should have pulled up play and not even gone upstairs. I don't think this situation is covered in the rules, so you'd think they'd be fixing that little oversight.

Last edited:

gerg

Juniors
Give each team 2 challenges per game. Let it be for any call anywhere on the field - including forward passes. Other than that - bring back in-goal judges and let the on-field refs call it as they see it.

IMO would be the best way to try and let the game flow and take some pressure of the refs knowing that if there has been a mistake, then it's up to the the players to call it.

Most of the annoying stoppages have nothing to do with the video ref. Kick a ball out of play and the bloke who feeds the scrum or kicks the dropout stands there watching a clock until 5 seconds remain, then play on. I hate it. If everyone is in position, blow the whistle and play on. If they're not getting in position, penalise them.
I thought the ref crackdown was brilliant and took much of the negative crap out of the game. We were just getting to the point where teams were actually following the rules of the game instead of trying to bend them and then they backflipped.