What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

GF Panthers vs Storm

soc123_au

Staff member
Find it odd that people think the rain helps Melbourne. We have the better forwards and Nathan has the best kicking game in the sport. Also somewhat nullifies the speed they have out wide
I've been thinking the same thing. Add to that apart from the last 2 weeks our completion rate has been fantastic. If the game is a grind I think that helps us, as long as they stay composed & dont panic. Easier said than done against the Storm of course.

Frankus

Juniors
Not enough is being made of our defence. Fitler mentioned it once and that was about it. I can't remember a club team defending like we do, kicking deep and smelling blood and just choking teams down in their end, consistently, not once a half but routinely, habitually. The QLD SOO team is the only team that I can remember that does similar.
Oh, Melbourne teams of the past played this way too. I don't believe the current Melbourne side is capable of their predecessors. As did some of the Roosters sides. I've never seen a Penrith side where I've been so confident in our defence to win us games.

The_Frog

First Grade
I've been thinking the same thing. Add to that apart from the last 2 weeks our completion rate has been fantastic. If the game is a grind I think that helps us, as long as they stay composed & dont panic. Easier said than done against the Storm of course.
Completion rate was 95% against the Roosters. It was just the one game it dipped.

Reflector

Juniors
I don't bother with tipsters either. Most of them didn't even have us in their top 8 at the start of the year. Quite a few thought the Roosters would beat us in week 1 of the finals.

We play our best for 80 minutes I think we will win.

2003 was a similar story. Written off all year and not many thought we would knock off the Roosters. We did.
Had a Father and Son combo back then.
Deja vu anybody?

And it rained.

The_Frog

First Grade
Very good article in DT about Panthers players junior origin. Tried but too long to post here. Can be found via NRL Physio on Twitter. Tried to post tweet but no success. Someone else might be able to do it.

SBD82

Coach
Good luck on the weekend ladies and gents. Putting aside all of the Smug banter, it’d be great to see the Panthers get a win.

Hope this is the start of a successful period for your club. Someone needs to knock the Chooks and Storm down a peg or two, and usher in a new generation of football. The style of footy that you play is great to watch, and if the Panthers can be the pioneers of moving the game away from the wrestle and block plays that have been so dominant for a decade, I’m totally behind you.

Enjoy the game, and hopefully the celebrations. Shame it’s not on a long weekend. Hope you’ve all organised an RDO for Monday. Whether it’s celebratory or commiserations, I reckon you’ll need it.

Re the talk of Melbourne having the advantage in the wet, that comes from 3 things.

The first is their recent record in the wet, it’s very good.

The second, quite related to the first is Cameron Smiths tactical kicking is superb combined with his game management.

and the third is obviously their strong forward pack.

We can match, if not exceed their forward pack. Trying to be objective as I can, I really think we have their number there. Where it gets harder is the tactical kicking, matching Smiths smarts. There’s no doubt Cleary can kick it downfield a mile, but choosing the right time to kick will be huge. Some sets when we’re pinned we’ll need to have the guts to kick on the 3rd or 4th tackle. I’m confident we have their number getting repeat sets, but getting out of our own 30-40 will be the story of this game.

Also add I think our 2 wingers are an advantage of theirs in the wet, assuming they keep hold of the ball. Their meters will be very important.

Last edited:

franklin2323

Immortal
Re the talk of Melbourne having the advantage in the wet, that comes from 3 things.

The first is their recent record in the wet, it’s very good.

The second, quite related to the first is Cameron Smiths tactical kicking is superb combined with his game management.

and the third is obviously their strong forward pack.

We can match, if not exceed their forward pack. Trying to be objective as I can, I really think we have their number there. Where it gets harder is the tactical kicking, matching Smiths smarts. There’s no doubt Cleary can kick it downfield a mile, but choosing the right time to kick will be huge. Some sets when we’re pinned we’ll need to have the guts to kick on the 3rd or 4th tackle. I’m confident we have their number getting repeat sets, but getting out of our own 30-40 will be the story of this game.

Also add I think our 2 wingers are an advantage of theirs in the wet, assuming they keep hold of the ball. Their meters will be very important.

We had better attack. Better defence then them across the season. Played more games in greasy conditions

So we match them

Black Diamond

Juniors
Loving the underdog tag, just like 03' everyone writing us off even after being named minor premietrs, the similarities are uncanny....BRING. IT. ON!!

Latest posts