What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

GF vs. Penrith Panthers Discussion

Big Pete

Referee
Penrith Panthers vs. Brisbane Broncos
Accor Stadium, Sunday 1 October 2023
Kick Off: 6:30pm (AEST)

PEN2022TEAM.png

1. Dylan Edwards 2. Sunia Turuva 3. Izack Tago 4. Stephen Crichton 5. Brian To'o 6. Jarome Luai 7. Nathan Cleary 8. Moses Leota 9. Mitch Kenny 10. James Fisher-Harris 11. Scott Sorensen 12. Liam Martin 13. Isaah Yeo

14. Jack Cogger 15. Lindsay Smith 16. Spencer Leniu 17. Luke Garner

18. Tyrone Peachey 19. Matt Eisenhuth 20. Zac Hosking 21. Luke Sommerton 22. Thomas Jenkins

BRI2023TEAM.png

1. Reece Walsh 2. Jesse Arthars 3. Kotoni Staggs 4. Herbie Farnworth 5. Selwyn Cobbo 6. Ezra Mam 7. Adam Reynolds 8. Thomas Flegler 9. Billy Walters 10. Payne Haas 11. Kurt Capewell 12. Jordan Riki 13. Patrick Carrigan

14. Tyson Smoothy 15. Brendan Piakura 16. Kobe Hetherington 17. Keenan Palasia

18. Corey Oates 19. Martin Taupau 20. Corey Jensen 21. Jock Madden 22. Tristan Sailor​

Big Pete

Referee
It'll be interesting to see how the Broncos approach this game. Against Melbourne they experimented with Herbie and Kotoni switching through out to mess with Bellamy's defensive structures, I'd expect similar tricks against the Panthers.

There were some injury concerns at the start of the week with Herbie Farnworth, Reece Walsh, Payne Haas and Adam Reynolds all being monitored closely but all of them are expected to be right. It's been a dream build up for the Broncos and they've been able to call their shots since their win over Parramatta at the Gabba. The Panthers have enjoyed a similar build, but there are some concerns over Luai and Tago's wellbeing as both will be playing through some painful injuries.

The general vibe going into the game is that Penrith are still head and shoulders the best team in the competition. However if there was one team that could challenge them, it's the Brisbane Broncos. Penrith go in as deserved favourites and have more form to suggest they'll find their rhythm quicker than the Broncos. However if the Broncos lift, they'll be able to complete their fairytale that's been three years in the making.

To any Penrith supporter reading this I just want to extend my best wishes ahead of the game. This Panthers outfit is the most dominant I've seen in my 20+ years of following the sport and it's great to see the fans embrace them as passionately as they have. Hopefully it's a great game and both teams light it up.

CQLeaguey

Juniors
Can’t see Penrith losing or even being seriously challenged, but man I’d love to be completely wrong 😉

Big Pete

Referee
Penrith Panthers 26 def. Brisbane Broncos 24 (Ezra Mam 3, Thomas Flegler tries; Adam Reynolds 4/4 goals)

Heart-breaker.

I thought it was a very brave effort from the Broncos. It was the worst possible scenario to start the game and they just played into the Panthers hands. Still, they somehow managed to hang in there and that try to Flegler on half-time was huge.

They dominated the next 20 minutes after, but when the game turned that opening 40 came back to bite them and to the Panthers credit they took full advantage of some very tired and passive defence.

The 97% completion to the 71% tells the story. However there were other aspects too. Reynolds picking up a groin injury and playing through it inhibited his game. Kevie's decision to play fast and stick with Arthars paid off massively and gave Brisbane that sniff when they should have been out of it. Flegler, Farnworth and Palasia were all strong in their final games for the club and Haas was a machine.

No way to sugar coat it though, to lose it in the dying minutes, it's a heart-breaker for the Broncos and that's now two tough losses to cop in 8 years. Still, it's been a brilliant reversal from 2018 and I think the Broncos can be proud with the flair they played with.

Till next season...