What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Gillett to 5/8

u4er

Juniors
He would have more ball playing ability in his left foot than Hoffman has in his whole body. Put up a nice bomb after he scored that try also haha. Seriously though, he runs hard and has good instincts. I could see him developing into a Foran style player if given the chance. Thoughts?

Maroon4life

Juniors
He would have more ball playing ability in his left foot than Hoffman has in his whole body. Put up a nice bomb after he scored that try also haha. Seriously though, he runs hard and has good instincts. I could see him developing into a Foran style player if given the chance. Thoughts?

Sure does, also hits hard and makes us good meters and is great on the edges.

Are those the qualities you look for in a premiership winning #6?

Big Pete

Referee
While Kahu will likely be the 'genuine' option, Paia'Aua is the right man for the job.

Has really helped a struggling Capras team out, playing predominately down the left hand side of the field (despite wearing the 7) and his kicking game especially has been pretty impressive.

Was just watching his latest performance against the Mackay Cutters. Unfortunately the stream was pretty dodgy up till the second half, but in that half Paia'Aua didn't put much of a foot wrong other than knocking on a grubber off his boots as he attempted to collect it on the fly. He did go a little bit missing but I blame that on the Capras who seemed to be hellbent on giving it to their go-to man Crisp who had a mixed afternoon.

Duncan will have another week against the Falcons who are the easy beats of the competition.

Last edited:

Frank_Grimes

First Grade
I enjoy reading this discussion about potential options and young talent just waiting to be blooded, but it also frustrates me to see all of this energy wasted by the fact that Griffin will not move Hoffman out of 5/8th unless he is injured, and when he is injured he will stick makeshift 5/8ths in there based on NRL experience rather than tapping a young proper half.

Sigh.

Dazzat

First Grade
While Kahu will likely be the 'genuine' option, Paia'Aua is the right man for the job.

Has really helped a struggling Capras team out, playing predominately down the left hand side of the field (despite wearing the 7) and his kicking game especially has been pretty impressive.

Was just watching his latest performance against the Mackay Cutters. Unfortunately the stream was pretty dodgy up till the second half, but in that half Paia'Aua didn't put much of a foot wrong other than knocking on a grubber off his boots as he attempted to collect it on the fly. He did go a little bit missing but I blame that on the Capras who seemed to be hellbent on giving it to their go-to man Crisp who had a mixed afternoon.

Duncan will have another week against the Falcons who are the easy beats of the competition.

Thanks for the update Pete. But unfortunately Frank Grimes is right. We've already had the red moon - and that's when Griffin traditionally makes his big decision for the decade.

Big Pete

Referee
Round 9 will be the ideal time to test out a new halves partner.

I don't have an issue with the stop-gap experiment, but it has run it's course.

Ph1l

Juniors
Hoffman's been playing like another forward. Just hits the ball up and lets in a couple of tries now and then.
Why Griffin moved established players just to fill Hoffman's spot is a mystery. Any bench forward would do just as well.

DeeJ

Bench
In favor of Gillett at 5/8th, he should be getting the ball as much as possible. He is having a destructive season and his enthusiasm reminds me of Lockyer.

League guru

Juniors
Watched the Capras play the Cutters. Thought Paia'aua was quiet ordinary. the Broncos have little interest in who plays for the Capras. Otherwise they would have showed some interest in Munster last season. Coached by the clueless butch Hetherington.

u4er

Juniors
Tim Sheens even mentioned he considered Gillett able to provide cover for second row, centre and 5/8 at an International level. He's being wasted in the forwards. I know it probably won't happen, and they may be others better for the job but I enjoy the discussion.

1 Ben Barba
2 Daniel Vidot/Dale Copley
3 Jack Reed/Dale Copley
4 Justin Hodges
5 Josh Hoffman
6 Matt Gillett
7 Ben Hunt
8 Josh McGuire
9 Andrew McCullough
10 Ben Hannant
11 Alex Glenn
12 Sam Thaiday
13 Corey Parker (c)

Interchange
14 Martin Kennedy
15 Corey Oates
16 Jarrod Wallace
17 Jake Granville

That's a team that is strong across the park. Kennedy to come on for Hannant after 20min. Hannant to come back on at the 60min mark. Wallace to sub with McGuire as required. Oates to sub Glenn and Thaiday. Bring Granville on at the 60min mark and tell him tackle his arse off and share some of the dummy half work with Macca. Give us that spark to close out close games. Makes more sense than playing with 16 players at least....

Big Pete

Referee
Watched the Capras play the Cutters. Thought Paia'aua was quiet ordinary. the Broncos have little interest in who plays for the Capras. Otherwise they would have showed some interest in Munster last season. Coached by the clueless butch Hetherington.

I thought his kicking game especially in the first half was on point and something we could use. He was quiet but it seemed like the Capras didn't really call on him that much but when they did, he really didn't put a foot wrong and was surprisingly good in defence.

He's way ahead of Strasser who based on today's effort will be lucky to play QCup again next week.

Dazzat

First Grade
Playing Gillett at No. 6 doesn't solve the big issue coming out of the Rabbits game - our kicking game. Hunt is an adequate kicker, but with the added pressure of being the continual go-to-man for kicks, the pressure is showing.

No, we need a real No. 6, and unfortunately there's no one on the horizon with the possible exception of Duncan. Of course Kahu may be OK as well - time will tell.

Pierced Soul

First Grade
can nikorama kick?

i think i recall gillett playing some 5/8 before playing first grade - remember when he played 6 in that GF qualifier when lcoky had the fracture? I remember people talking to his previous coaches whos aid he had played there.

i think hodges passed the ball more in one half than hoffman has all year

Tayjack

Juniors
Pfft - gillett to 5/8 he can't pass, not quick enough, why move a player that's in form to a position that he could play himself well out of form - seriously bad move.

Blockade

Juniors
HatHat

Lol, Gillett in the halves and they will use 4 interchanges by swapping Kahu and Maranta on the wing. I am no fan of Hook but he is twenty times a better coach than u would make. What's next with you? Hannant to fullback?:crazy: