What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

GIVE DUFTY A GO

V

Vasilevsky

I agree with Mary on this one. Well, more like I agree with Gaz on it. He was adamant that putting a young guy in first grade before he is ready physically is a terrible move.

V

Vasilevsky

It looks like duffy can score tries at will. Now we have no chance of the semis because of marys zero ability of coaching, why not have duffy on the wing. Get rid of old man nightengale and promote duffy?

Nightingale was an outstanding interchange utility. He can be again but i would agree with you his days as a top winger are over.

one day soon

Juniors
Pick him at fullback or not at all. The current winger game is based on power. He has the skill set to make it, with Mary trying to save his job, we will more than likely have to wait until next year:(

giboz71

First Grade
Not sure if bringing Dufty in this year is a great idea, but he must be somewhere in the 17 next year, now that we've given him a contract.

In the absence of any decent players coming our way (we've tried and failed multiple times), we probably need a to take a leaf out of Newcastle's book and put our faith in our young guys. Our 20's and Cutters are doing ok, we need to start developing these guys. Dufty, Herbert, Leilua, Sele, Thompson, Robson, Field, these guys could be our future.

In the absence of any established stars coming our way, it's really our only option now.

One thing is for sure, fringe first graders unwanted at other clubs must be avoided at all costs (eg Lafai and McCrone). Mann could still end up being a good signing however, he's certainly made his mark the last few weeks.

As I've said many times, Benji, Rein and even Widdop need to be moved on if we're fair dinkum about getting better.

The Doc

Juniors
He is too small. Watching that video, he has skill and speed galore... but lacks size!
Would rather see him bulk up in the off season and go from there in 2017.
Remember... that video is against mainly under 20's players... first grade is a whole new ball game.
But if he bulks up... him and Leilua can develop a killer combination in first grade.

GKJ79

Juniors
He is too small. Watching that video, he has skill and speed galore... but lacks size!
Remember... that video is against mainly under 20's players... first grade is a whole new ball game.
But if he bulks up... him and Leilua can develop a killer combination in first grade.

The Doc, why the f**k do people have this facination about players being too small and needing to bulk up, you dont need to be big to play first grade, and you dont need to waste a season playing in the shitty nsw cup either, the under 20's is a better comp, and special talents like Dufty and Leilua should not be wasted in the nsw cup reject bin, all the other clubs identify similar talent, and they are straight into first grade, thats why they keep their juniors, and we lose ours, heres a news article i just read, Dufty was the catalyst in the cutters come from behind win against manly today, setting up 2 tries, Demetriou was absolutely stoked with his performance, and Mcgregor is likely to give him his first grade debut this coming weekend, he has also just inked a new 2 year deal to stay at the Dragons, thank f**king christ, also reported that Hutchison had a fine game, especially his kicking, something the Dragons have lacked for a major part of the season, and he too will be playing either this coming weekend, or next, Mcgregor has obviously been tapped on the shoulder by someone, because it was only 2 or 3 weeks ago, that when asked in the press conference about, Dufty, Leilua, Hutchison etc...etc...he came up with some bullshit about having used 27 players, 3rd tier salary cap, blah blah blah, and then the fans really start to get the shits, and hey presto, Leilua, debut, closely followed by Dufty and Hutchinson in the coming weeks, Mcgregor knows he's in trouble, and he's now hoping that giving the kids a go is going to save him, I honestly think that Demetriou is starting to have much more involvement,
and McGregor, and Benji are dead men walking, hopefully rein too, I would love to see Demetriou take over, and be given a caretaker coach role from Mcgregor, until the club can find a suitable replacement,

Last edited:
V

Vasilevsky

Not sure if bringing Dufty in this year is a great idea, but he must be somewhere in the 17 next year, now that we've given him a contract.

In the absence of any decent players coming our way (we've tried and failed multiple times), we probably need a to take a leaf out of Newcastle's book and put our faith in our young guys. Our 20's and Cutters are doing ok, we need to start developing these guys. Dufty, Herbert, Leilua, Sele, Thompson, Robson, Field, these guys could be our future.

In the absence of any established stars coming our way, it's really our only option now.

One thing is for sure, fringe first graders unwanted at other clubs must be avoided at all costs (eg Lafai and McCrone). Mann could still end up being a good signing however, he's certainly made his mark the last few weeks.

As I've said many times, Benji, Rein and even Widdop need to be moved on if we're fair dinkum about getting better.

Remember there isn't any good reason the Dragons can't raid enemy clubs like they do the Dragons. Melbourne are pretty strong across the field. Shonkies obviously don't need any outside backs. The scum have Bird, Barba and Holmes. Broncos signed several outside backs on massively inflated salaries but it's the Broncos so doesn't matter insofar as then salary cap and etc.

Old Timer

Coach
Gotta love all the stupid comments re Dufty.

So many saying how talented he is and then saying he is too small.

Maybe he is talented because he is small and not a great big muscle bound oaf like so many in our team.

A length of the filed try or backing upon of an offload have got f**k all to do with size its all about speed and smarts and the kid has got plenty off both.

You will only ever know how good he is by playing him and that means more than just a couple of games which is exactly why nobody can make a truly honest assessment on Hutch because he has had such little time in the top grade for a proper judgement to be made.

The Doc

Juniors
Yeah and your brain is small, Dufty was the catalyst in the cutters come from behind win against manly today, setting up 2 tries, Demetriou was absolutely stoked with his performance, Mcgregor is likely to give him his first grade debut this coming weekend, he has also just inked a new 2 year deal to stay at the Dragons, thank f**king christ, also reported that Hutchison had a fine game, especially his kicking, something the Dragons have lacked for a major part of the season, and he too will be playing either this coming weekend, or next, Mcgregor has obviously been tapped on the shoulder by someone, because it was only 2 or 3 weeks ago, that when asked in the press conference about
Wow.... straight on the attack? Haha sorry for having an opinion.
Its fans like you that give the dragons a bad name.
Go get a box of tissues for your issues buddy.
Im entitled to my opinion, if u dont like it... tough titties!!!
But to jump on and say my brain is too small... hahaha grow up u clown.
If he is promoted and has a shocker clowns like u will be the first ones to jump up and down and blame mary for rushing him...
Some fans u just cant win with... now go along and wipe ur tears u sook.

The Doc

Juniors
Gotta love all the stupid comments re Dufty.

So many saying how talented he is and then saying he is too small.

Maybe he is talented because he is small and not a great big muscle bound oaf like so many in our team.

A length of the filed try or backing upon of an offload have got f**k all to do with size its all about speed and smarts and the kid has got plenty off both.

You will only ever know how good he is by playing him and that means more than just a couple of games which is exactly why nobody can make a truly honest assessment on Hutch because he has had such little time in the top grade for a proper judgement to be made.
Old timer... it must also be remembered that in first grade its alot harder to be as elusive as it in under 20's.
There is no doubt the kid has talent... but u cant deny that his size will be an issue.
What would happen to the kid if, at the size he is, he takes a bomb and has kasiano and williams smash him?
Lets be honest for a minute here, the kid has alot of skill... but fullback demands running into brick wall big boy defence.
He definetely deserves a shot, but i think this year is too early. Let him put on a few kgs in the off season and then let him run amoke.

Old Timer

Coach
You can't be watching too much u/20's footy because there are plenty of big boppa in that comp and he cuts them to shreds.
Bulk him up and make a mess of his future just like we did with Dugan.

The Doc

Juniors
You can't be watching too much u/20's footy because there are plenty of big boppa in that comp and he cuts them to shreds.
Bulk him up and make a mess of his future just like we did with Dugan.
Nothing at all like dugan... u cant compare the big boppers in the under 20's to first grade monsters... surely not.
Even the smaller fullbacks in first grade, the bowens, slaters barbas etc have a little bit of bulk... this kid is a twig.
Anyways... each to there own... i just joined and stated my opinion... everyone is entittled to there opinion.

Old Timer

Coach
Old timer... it must also be remembered that in first grade its alot harder to be as elusive as it in under 20's.
There is no doubt the kid has talent... but u cant deny that his size will be an issue.
What would happen to the kid if, at the size he is, he takes a bomb and has kasiano and williams smash him?
Lets be honest for a minute here, the kid has alot of skill... but fullback demands running into brick wall big boy defence.
He definetely deserves a shot, but i think this year is too early. Let him put on a few kgs in the off season and then let him run amoke.

What I don't like is all the stupid posts that show what fears you or others like you have for Dufty.

Dufty doesn't have them and he is the bloke that's going to be out there let him be the judge.

People want to keep making reasons why we shouldn't pick people instead of saying he has done everything asked of him at the lower levels he deserves his chance in the top grade TODAY.

Old Timer

Coach
Nothing at all like dugan... u cant compare the big boppers in the under 20's to first grade monsters... surely not.
Even the smaller fullbacks in first grade, the bowens, slaters barbas etc have a little bit of bulk... this kid is a twig.
Anyways... each to there own... i just joined and stated my opinion... everyone is entittled to there opinion.
Dugan was lithely built and very fast when he came to us.
He now looks like an action figure and his career has been severely impeded.

thebigredv

First Grade
What I don't like is all the stupid posts that show what fears you or others like you have for Dufty.
Exactly what I have been thinking reading this thread. There is such a thing as blooding players too early but really, it's the successful teams that take the risks and make the big calls. If it doesn't work out I can't see what there is to lose anyway.

The Doc

Juniors

Dufty doesn't have them and he is the bloke that's going to be out there let him be the judge.

People want to keep making reasons why we shouldn't pick people instead of saying he has done everything asked of him at the lower levels he deserves his chance in the top grade TODAY.
So if a youngster thinks he is ready... then he is ready?
Good logic.
The kid will get smashed at his size... a severe injury will ruin his future alot more then waiting till next year and putting on a few kgs.

The Doc

Juniors
Dugan was lithely built and very fast when he came to us.
He now looks like an action figure and his career has been severely impeded.
Dugan is just injury prone. Inglis is almost the same size as dugan and that size doesnt impact his style or game.

thebigredv

First Grade
So if a youngster thinks he is ready... then he is ready?
Good logic.
The kid will get smashed at his size... a severe injury will ruin his future alot more then waiting till next year and putting on a few kgs.

It may not be a good comparison because AFL is not as physical as rugby league but last week I watched Brent Harvey break the record for most games played by any AFL player ever. He's probably half the height of Dufty. They said the same thing about Thurston. I think give him a go.

The Doc

Juniors
It may not be a good comparison because AFL is not as physical as rugby league but last week I watched Brent Harvey break the record for most games played by any AFL player ever. He's probably half the height of Dufty. They said the same thing about Thurston. I think give him a go.
I dont think he is ready. Just my opinion.
He has tonnes of talent and speed... but his frame is to small... not the height, his bulk.
Thurston is a bulky guy, besides, thurston played in the halves... this kid has to run back on kick returns at full pace into full grown men!!
My opinion says with his frame thats a recipe for disaster for the kid.

Latest posts