What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Give Soward a crack

user_nat

Coach
NSW really needs someone with a good kicking game.

They have been kicked out of the game for a few years now.

I guess moving Hayne to FB and letting him kick might help.

Red Bear

Referee
Carney + Pearce is the way forward for NSW
Carney, at this point, best suited to a bench role IMO. I think he struggles to run out a game, seems to drift in and out, and even week to week he'll go good game average game. Hasnt quite recovered the match fitness required for NRL since his time off. Next year though this would probably be the right combo.

Cant believe the lack of talk of Sutton being chosen. He's been excellent this year, good ball player, good passing, has set up a heap of line breaks and tries, decent long kicking game.

Providing Pearce gets through the next couple of games well and shows he's going as well as he was pre injury, he should be chosen for origin II and given the series to stake his claim for a permanent spot.

Jason Maher

Immortal
Soward couldn't do any worse than Lyon playing out of position. And like nat said, one of the big reasons Queensland have been dominant for so long is their kicking game. NSW are always getting turned around and having to bring the ball off their own tryline. Soward and Pearce are the two blokes capable of similar for NSW in my view.

Personally though I would stick with Kimmorley (I thought he was one of the few blokes who looked like he had an inkling of the commitment required on Wednesday, so I'd keep him on that basis, though I wouldn't have selected him in the first place) and bring in John Sutton, who is in better form than Soward and is an actual 5/8.

But really NSW are in a no-win situation thanks tot he idiocy of the selectors. We either stick true to a bad side or ring the changes and disrupt the side. Either way we lose.

evil_p091280

Juniors
Oh, he wants us to pick Soward. I thought he wanted us to give Soward crack. I was going to say Drugs are bad m'kay.

Carry on.

I'll give you $3.50 for your crack...

On a serious note, yes, I want selectors to pick Soward to play game 2.

I am interested to see the DTelecrap game 2 poll that fans had a chance to pick their team.

Knowing the media, when gidley is not picked as the favourite for any position, they won't run the story.

Let's hope Soward gets the most % for five eight. Maybe the selectors will pay attention then.

rooster_2010

Juniors
For years eveybody has said that jamie soward is too young too play origin. He has been in great form for 2010. Why not give him the chance. I go for roosters and to be honest i am not his biggest fan but i think we need him.
We should put him with someone like pearce/carney because NSW players and selectors having been saying that we need to keep 1 halves combination then they put lyon and kimmorley together. They need younger players like sowad/pearce/carney that can play together for the next 5-10 years

Last edited:

Mong

Post Whore
All Soward really has is a good kicking game... It would be wonderful for QLD if he gets picked at five-eigth. Carney is the man.

decent passing game, chip and chase and speed..

It makes me laugh when NSW fans prefer not to have him picked while they go with a centre at 5/8 who not so long ago didn't want to play at all..

No wonder QLD are looking like winning 5 in a row..

Dr.J

Juniors
Soward - best ball player in the team coming first, assists for tries every week, good goalkicker, great long kicking game, scores a lot himself with exceptional speed, aged in mid-20s, hides in defence.

Barrett - five-eighth for team running last, ball runner not passer, plays for a team that can't score, about to retire as way past his peak.

However, Barrett is big and Soward small, so most media and the Tele poll are going with Barrett. Darren Lockyer added that Qld would like to see Barrett play in game 2.

Apparently we can't beat Qld because they are full of players from the Storm who are equal best in win-loss. But surely the answer lies with the team with the worst win-loss record rather than the best. NSW has a losing culture so we'll pick the 5/8 from a losing team.

evil_p091280

Juniors
Great post DrJ. Everything you say is spot on.

I can't understand how the DTelecrap says that the blues are going to be saved by Gallen and Barrett.

Gallen not going too bad this year but Barrett has done nought. The biggest problem with them but in my opinion is they have a losing culture as they in a losing team.

Need to pick players that are in form, and their team is on form.

An average player can stand out as an alleged good one when they play for a terrible team.

Jason Maher

Immortal
Soward should have been given a shot last year when he had the form. He hasn't been in top form this year, so I wouldn't pick him. Sutton is the bloke with the best form, so I'd go for him.

Pierced Soul

First Grade
thing with soward is he'd need a good 7 outside him to organise stuff. i think with the right number 7 soward would do very well, but as people have said his form isnt like it was last year and nsw selectors seem to have a thing against picking small blokes

Y2Eel

First Grade
I think Soward would go well with Kimmorley inside of him.. He was one of the best 5/8's last season.. His kicking game is great would take pressure of Kimmorley and he is a good ball player like already stated..

Latest posts