What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Go easy....

coldhardbitch

Juniors
While I understand the competitive mentality of players trying to score from every opportunity, I think players from the big 3 nations should go easier on minnow opponents to ensure scores do not blow-out. Lets not forget, the purpose of the RLWC is to promote the sport, and thrashings do nothing to promote the game. If a big 3 team has the game in the bag, the least they could do is ease of and let in a few tries for the good of the sport.

Like Nz tonight, at 42-0 up, with 1 second on the clock, did they really need to go for that last try? It does more harm to the game then good.

Springs

First Grade
What shit.

Maybe as an Eels fan I should ask all the other clubs to go easy on us next year.

hutch

First Grade
Why are we so negative about this result? Yes, France played sh*t. They have plenty to work on. The crowd was the biggest in 30 years in France, they all stayed until the final whistle and appreciated the footy being played. France finished closer to nz than the last time they played each other, they will only improve with more time together and hopefully another team in super league. Anybody who has followed French rugby league for more than two seconds should know that they are either hit or miss and their attitude changes with the momentum of the game. They are also a hell of a lot better than they were in the 80's, 90's and 2000's.

Dark Chook

Juniors
The big 3 need to prepare,

if it requires them to smash defenceless minnows then so be it,

how else can they harden up, by signing autographs?

newman

First Grade
Why are we so negative about this result? Yes, France played sh*t. They have plenty to work on. The crowd was the biggest in 30 years in France, they all stayed until the final whistle and appreciated the footy being played. France finished closer to nz than the last time they played each other, they will only improve with more time together and hopefully another team in super league. Anybody who has followed French rugby league for more than two seconds should know that they are either hit or miss and their attitude changes with the momentum of the game. They are also a hell of a lot better than they were in the 80's, 90's and 2000's.

Correct. And it was 48 nil. Not 70 or 80 or a hundred. The first half was very competitive. There are worse thrashings in the NRL.

I just saw Japan are playing the all blacks in the rah rah tonight. That should be competitive!

JasonE

Bench
I would like to see an NRL club pick up the French halfback Theo Fages and play him in the Holden Cup under 20's next season.
At 19 i think he is a great prospect for France but i wonder about his development given he will be playing second fiddle at Salford next season, he has lot's of ability and if he learns how to control a game he will be a sensation.
A season or two in Australia and i could see him being one of the top young halves in the game.

shiznit

Coach
This question this thread poses isn't as stupid as some in here are making out...

I'm a firm believer like the vast majority here that you don't go easy on them because they are minnows. I think to do otherwise is condescending to both the team your playing, the fans who pay good money to get in and the competition itself.

But I will acknowledge that there are some sporting cultures(namely the americans) that frown upon running the score up on a well beaten opposition.

I don't agree with that myself... But it certainly is a view that some take .

Harrigan

Juniors
This question this thread poses isn't as stupid as some in here are making out...

I'm a firm believer like the vast majority here that you don't go easy on them because they are minnows. I think to do otherwise is condescending to both the team your playing, the fans who pay good money to get in and the competition itself.

But I will acknowledge that there are some sporting cultures(namely the americans) that frown upon running the score up on a well beaten opposition.

I don't agree with that myself... But it certainly is a view that some take .

That's a college culture.

In the pros they don't care and take every game as that, you know, professionally.

league13

Juniors
Correct. And it was 48 nil. Not 70 or 80 or a hundred. The first half was very competitive. There are worse thrashings in the NRL.

I just saw Japan are playing the all blacks in the rah rah tonight. That should be competitive!

I'm picking the all Blacks will win by eighty points tonight.There will be no bitching from either set of supporters and all will have thoroughly enjoyed it.

shiznit

Coach
That's a college culture.

In the pros they don't care and take every game as that, you know, professionally.
Doesn't happen in the pros?

Well why were Bill Belichick and the Patriots panned for doing it a few seasons back...

deluded pom?

Coach
I still can't work out why the French defender didn't just drop on the ball after the last kick. Game over but he decided to try and pick it up and fumbled it.

shiznit

Coach
I still can't work out why the French defender didn't just drop on the ball after the last kick. Game over but he decided to try and pick it up and fumbled it.
It's the french...

If they're anything like there RU counterparts they don't follow normal convention.