What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Gold Coast=WRONG!

wolverine

Juniors
I keep hearing about what name should Gold Coast be named and the fact is they shouldn't even be coming into the NRL competition. Yes it is a great idea for the Gold Coast to have a team in the NRL BUT....what about the teams who sacrificed their entities to merge together?? No one seems to be talking about the fact that through the merges we lost the steelers and the magpies...AND NOW IT SEEMS AS THOUGH THE NRL WANTS TO PISS ON THE ASHES! By the Gold Coast coming in it is extremely disrespectful. But if they are to come into the NRL they should be called the Pirates:p

wolverine said:
I keep hearing about what name should Gold Coast be named and the fact is they shouldn't even be coming into the NRL competition. Yes it is a great idea for the Gold Coast to have a team in the NRL BUT....what about the teams who sacrificed their entities to merge together?? No one seems to be talking about the fact that through the merges we lost the steelers and the magpies...AND NOW IT SEEMS AS THOUGH THE NRL WANTS TO PISS ON THE ASHES! By the Gold Coast coming in it is extremely disrespectful. But if they are to come into the NRL they should be called the Pirates:p

after you trying to ensite violences in this forum, Let's kick Cronulla to Central Coast or Merge St george illawarra and the sharks.

Rugby League in Australia has had great benefit from the merger of Balmain-Wests and St George-Illawarra. It was better for some of these sides to merge and keep their identity in some form in the national competition, rather than die off.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
you're a bit late with this argument Wolverine, by about 2 years

the decisions' been made

Dogs Of War

Coach
wolverine said:
....what about the teams who sacrificed their entities to merge together??

What about the fact that the Gold Coast was kicked out of the competition even though they were one of the few profitable clubs?

wolverine

Juniors
All I'm saying is that teams like the North Sydney Bears, Western Suburbs Magpies and the Illawarra Steelers should be allowed back into the NRL if the Gold Coast is coming back into the competition! I've talked to a few people about this and the people who used to support the Magpies and Steelers have basically lost their club. St George and the Tigers have totally dominated the little clubs!

wolverine said:
All I'm saying is that teams like the North Sydney Bears, Western Suburbs Magpies and the Illawarra Steelers should be allowed back into the NRL if the Gold Coast is coming back into the competition! I've talked to a few people about this and the people who used to support the Magpies and Steelers have basically lost their club. St George and the Tigers have totally dominated the little clubs!

Bollocks.

The Balmain/Wests JV is as close to equal as is possible. The Saints/Steelers wasn't so much a merger as a takeover, but hardly a hostile one. All 3 clubs (Balmain, Wests, Illawarra) were financial basket cases when they merged and none would have survived as stand-alone clubs, so anyone who thinks that they should be reinstated is a mental case.

Besides, anyone that hasn't come to terms with it by now should either keep following the Magpies in PL and JF or Balmain/Ryde Eastwood or piss off and follow the Swans.

Kingytek

Juniors
If u want to point a finger, point it at the arl, it's not GC's fault. We didnt make the call to cull a heap of clubs, we were just one of the lucky ones to gain a licence. In my unbiased opinion out of Illawarra, Norths, Magpies, and Gold Coast I still would be chosing gold coast. It's supposed to be a national competition, and it doesnt quite work when 70% of the clubs are in the same state let alone the same city and surrounding areas. I understand why the ARL have chosen GC because it's part of a plan to go truely national.

Paullyboy

Coach
Why have a team who will pull 7,000 a week and sit at the bottom of the ladder and come from yet another outer suburb of sydney when you could have one of the biggest citys in Australia, the fastest growing and a tourist hotspot - ideally meaning a lot of international tourists might like to venture out and see some australian sport while they are on their holiday on the gold coast.

Knightmare

Coach
Of those teams who are no longer in stand alone form, the Bears deserve to be in the most, playing from Gosford (more than the Gold Coast, but that's another matter.) St George never died- they just took over the Steelers, who could see the benefits of aligning themselves with such a powerful club.