What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Golden point victory!!!

BigNormProvan

Juniors
Yes I'm happy with the win, but geez I hate the field goal crap. Ban that fkn option, for me it's a blight on the game like the Melbourne Storm, Bulldog fans, Tomato Tahu and crap refs.

I hate Golden Point, always have, always will.

Big Norm

Minh

First Grade
Not wanting to throw cold water on things, I'm stoked. But why did we stuff around so much with only a few minutes to go. Had a couple of good opportunities to nail the game before golden point. Seems ridiculous to try anything fancy, especially in wet conditions when a field goal is there for the begging. I thought we got out of jail in the end, though we deserved to win.

We should've went for the field goal earlier 3 minutes from fulltime.

DirtyHarry

Juniors
Yes I'm happy with the win, but geez I hate the field goal crap. Ban that fkn option, for me it's a blight on the game like the Melbourne Storm, Bulldog fans, Tomato Tahu and crap refs.

I hate Golden Point, always have, always will.

Big Norm

Golden point sucks. A draw is often a fair result, there doesn't always have to be a winner.

Mr Red

First Grade
positives from the game:
- Morris, Nightingale, Cooper all looked the goods, picked up from where they left off last season.
- Merrin, Rein and DeBelin have stepped up, had great games. DeBelin and Rein added a bit of mongrel to the forwards..
- Ben Creagh HUGE game. has also developed a pass before the line, rather than always trying to flick one out after the collision..

room for improvement:
- stanley looked like a lost kid at the back
- Scott awful in the centres... but most of us knew that anyway
- Fein and Young looked like father time has caught up with them
- Prior the usual mistakes under pressure... but tackled his guts out
- Ah Mau... looked unfit and tired just running onto the field :)

saints4ever

First Grade
A first up match winner will do wonders for sowie as well. Fingers crossed that his game is really starting to round out, not just here and there.
Always had tactical and distance kicking, but the organization, spark and defense is coming too.

saint06

Juniors
Mr Red, were you watching the same game? What did ben Creagh do? I didn't even know he was there.

Besides Prior knocking on at the end, i thought he did a pretty good job. He started like a house on fire, made good metres.

Geez we have the best wingers in the comp, how good was Nitey's dive back into the field of play.

I dont think Scott that bad a game, besides the pass over the sideline. The dummy he got from Mullen happens, Beau just went the wrong way. I thought he handled Tahu pretty well.

Deano didn't do too bad. Yes he almost blew it for us, but he was eating metres up with the ball in hand.

You have to remember this was the first game of the season, there would have been cobwebs.

Hoekstra

Juniors
Yeah its only the first game back I thought in addition to those mentioned Latimore also went well.

How good was it when Nighty made sure the linesman first saw the knee to Prior before jumping straight into it with a bloke far bigger than him in Tahu. The man is a dead set gun.....

I thought BMoz and Coops were outstanding too. We might be starting to take that reliable left hand side attacking option for granted. They killed it when not much was going on over on the right. And BMoz keeps on taking it up fearlessly out of dummy half. An overlooked aspect of his (and Nightingale's) game.

I'd echo everyone else's observations: We really need Chase or Vidot in the centres, King off the bench for Rein and Stanley needs to work hard on the high ball. But these should all come over the season.

Dogs next and Hasler or no Hasler they look like one of the weaker sides in the comp.

Cagey Mac

Bench
Mr Red, were you watching the same game? What did ben Creagh do? I didn't even know he was there.

Besides Prior knocking on at the end, i thought he did a pretty good job. He started like a house on fire, made good metres.

Geez we have the best wingers in the comp, how good was Nitey's dive back into the field of play.

I dont think Scott that bad a game, besides the pass over the sideline. The dummy he got from Mullen happens, Beau just went the wrong way. I thought he handled Tahu pretty well.

Deano didn't do too bad. Yes he almost blew it for us, but he was eating metres up with the ball in hand.

You have to remember this was the first game of the season, there would have been cobwebs.
Ben Creagh played 85 minutes (as did Prior). He made three offloads and was credited with one try assist. His kick to force a dropout was also pretty good stuff. He also had no errors and ran 109 metres. I'd say that was pretty HUGE. Oh and he made 31 tackles. So one to Red. Prior made 27 tackles and ran 113 metres but he made 4 errors and like Creagh, gave away a pretty soft penalty. Scott had a good game IMO, over 100 metres, 16 tackles, 1 error. Not too shabby

Trent Merrin's effort was nothing short of heroic in 52 minutes he made, 33 tackles and ran a massive 185 metres..talk about super sub.

Reports are coming in that Style may be leaving the club as he's fielding offers from the socceroos who are in desperate need of a striker and after seeing that brilliant header and the way he chested the ball away keeping his hands well away from the ball, making Harry Kewell look like an amateur. The kid's got talent but may not be our best option at fullback...time will tell

Sowie's defence can't go without mention and aren't we all glad that we lost the battle to retain Wes' services and maybe even Cuthbo for that matter.

BH, outstanding. De Belin, future SOO player and Hard Rein was falling all over Tinkler's parade..
Lastly I picked the Dragons by 1 in my footy tipping comp :cool:

Radical Rat

Juniors
Yeah baby.

So good to get a first up win. Thought we had made a meal of it.

:D:D:D:D:D

It was good for you blokes to get the 2 points. You couldn't say it was the most inspiring match though. It's early days so you should improve. But a few points.

- You still didn't really have any other options other than the Cooper and Morris side.
- All Bennett has done is work the same Boyd 'around the back play' at Newcastle. They had nothing to offer. It really makes me wonder what they worked on all pre season.
- Buderus had a shocker and may be the next Orford.
- Cuthbertson seemed to think he was still playing for you guys.

saints4ever

First Grade
It was good for you blokes to get the 2 points. You couldn't say it was the most inspiring match though. It's early days so you should improve. But a few points.

- You still didn't really have any other options other than the Cooper and Morris side.
- All Bennett has done is work the same Boyd 'around the back play' at Newcastle. They had nothing to offer. It really makes me wonder what they worked on all pre season.

None of have said it was an inspiring match, most have just pointed out good and bad aspects about the game and players. If you read them you'll see a lot of points for both sides.

Why change what has worked? He has worked on what he always works on, changing the mentality. To rely on basics and working hard for your team mate, the rest as he says will come and good luck to the knights, just stay the hell away from us when it clicks. Save that shit for the tigers.

Buderus imo shouldn't be starting, but who am I to argue with sir wayne?

Cuthbo had a poor game and once again I don't believe he is a prop, as the wet weather stifled his natural game anyway. But It's round one

Minh

First Grade

2 points against so many former players and the coach, it was a big win for us make no mistake.

TheRev

Coach
- We do have a right-side attack, it was shown in the Charity Shield, but a couple of injuries has led to Scott playing Right-Centre, which nullifies any chance of enterprising play.

- We were by far the better side last night, but if Cuthbo doesnt drop it in front, we probably would have lost the game, but im not too flustered, were quite rusty, its round 1 etc..

- Who on earth wants to watch this 1 off bashing it up for another fieldgoal attempt? Should have been changed to Golden-Try years ago :-/

Mr Red

First Grade
Ben Creagh played 85 minutes (as did Prior). He made three offloads and was credited with one try assist. His kick to force a dropout was also pretty good stuff. He also had no errors and ran 109 metres. I'd say that was pretty HUGE. Oh and he made 31 tackles. So one to Red. Prior made 27 tackles and ran 113 metres but he made 4 errors and like Creagh, gave away a pretty soft penalty. Scott had a good game IMO, over 100 metres, 16 tackles, 1 error. Not too shabby

Trent Merrin's effort was nothing short of heroic in 52 minutes he made, 33 tackles and ran a massive 185 metres..talk about super sub.

Reports are coming in that Style may be leaving the club as he's fielding offers from the socceroos who are in desperate need of a striker and after seeing that brilliant header and the way he chested the ball away keeping his hands well away from the ball, making Harry Kewell look like an amateur. The kid's got talent but may not be our best option at fullback...time will tell

Sowie's defence can't go without mention and aren't we all glad that we lost the battle to retain Wes' services and maybe even Cuthbo for that matter.

BH, outstanding. De Belin, future SOO player and Hard Rein was falling all over Tinkler's parade..
Lastly I picked the Dragons by 1 in my footy tipping comp :cool:

good to see someone was watching the same game as me.. ;-)

Minh

First Grade
Uh ohhh does that mean all other 2 games this year will be golden point? ...that won't be good on the heart!

We'll have an undefeated season with a points differential of only +26.:)

I agree not good for the heart.

Latest posts