What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Golden Point

siv

First Grade
What a bore Golden Point is during the regular season

We saw two games where for the last 10 minutes we basically played golden point

Neither team could be clinch the winner

So lets have a field goal-a-thon for 10 more minutes

Let it be a draw after 80 in regular season games

Even in finals - if still even after 10 minutes of golden point - higher ranked team wins

Let the competition table mean something in the finals

Reactions: Rod

no name

Coach
What a bore Golden Point is during the regular season

We saw two games where for the last 10 minutes we basically played golden point

Neither team could be clinch the winner

So lets have a field goal-a-thon for 10 more minutes

Let it be a draw after 80 in regular season games

Even in finals - if still even after 10 minutes of golden point - higher ranked team wins

Let the competition table mean something in the finals
I don’t know that I agree with that and I know it won’t ever be implemented, but that would bring a whole different approach to tactics towards the end of a tight final. Would make for interesting viewing.

Pjf04b

Juniors
They don't. Soccer has extra time regardless of who scores, MLB has equal extra innings, NFL has a minimum one possession each unless the first team scores a TD.

JamesRustle

First Grade
Draw at FT is the best.

But if they want to persist with GP as it stands then why are they content with a draw at end of GP? f**ken idiots.

Draw at FT, then penalty shoot out with field goals, one of two ways:
1. Attempts from 20m out right in front, no player can kick twice.
2. Nominate your kicker and the 2 kickers take alternate attempts starting 20m out in front, 20m out, 10 to left, right, then repeat from 30m, etc.

Or scrap drop out and go a super set, whoever makes most running meters on a set of 6 wins. Penalty gives you another 10m to your tally.

blue bags

First Grade
They don't. Soccer has extra time regardless of who scores, MLB has equal extra innings, NFL has a minimum one possession each unless the first team scores a TD.
Yes I saw a NFL college game.it went into 8 extra times . Touchdowns were scored in extra times. But the other team would score back straight away. Equal the score. It's some sort of extra times record. It's on YouTube

blue bags

First Grade
I used to be behind the idea of golden try but it's beyond stupid. Field goals and penalty goals are legitimate ways to score points in rugby league.
Extra times only in play offs
But no golden point rubbish
Extra time 10 minutes. Must be played out
If still drawn at 90 minutes
Then play another 10 minutes

If the little ginger haired prick with the whistle penalised Manly for being offside on the field goal attempt in regulation time then we wouldn't have gone to golden point. He called back a legitimate Cowboys try because he thought the pass was forward, even though it wasn't.

This Year?

Immortal
I hate golden point. The game turns from attempting to score tries to attempting to kick field goals.
It should be 1 competition point each if scores are tied at fulltime in regular season games.
In elimination games it should be 10 minutes extra time, then golden point if scores are still tied after extra time.

blue bags

First Grade
I hate golden point. The game turns from attempting to score tries to attempting to kick field goals.
It should be 1 competition point each if scores are tied at fulltime in regular season games.
In elimination games it should be 10 minutes extra time, then golden point if scores are still tied after extra time.
Would not have golden point at all
If still drawn at 90 minutes. Play out another 10 minutes. The still drawn at 100 minutes
Play out another 10

T-Boon

Coach
But they don't eliminate a scoring method.
I was responding to this fear of changing rules. They do change the rules in their extra time. With MLB they put a runner on 2nd so a first up single is likely to score a run.

siv

First Grade
It used to be 10 minutes each way in the finals no golden point

Problem in the finals was it used to result in replays mid week

I think we have 10 minutes extra time then golden point until someone wins in todays finals

Well if you completely discount the ref and bunker refusing to award one of the most obvious penalties in the history of the game, that would have resulted in no golden point, then yeah, sure thing.....they were excellent.

Thats the main thing wrong with it, every drop goal has off side defenders and they turn a blind eye to it.

Wb1234

Referee
Well if you completely discount the ref and bunker refusing to award one of the most obvious penalties in the history of the game, that would have resulted in no golden point, then yeah, sure thing.....they were excellent.
What’s that got to do with golden point being enjoyable

yes the warriors were hugely ripped off yesterday and not just the incident you raised

Rod

Bench
Should obviously be canned based on yesterday alone. The footy is terrible and doesn't resemble normal rugby league anyway. It's only purpose now is so the Fox commentators can start predicting it halfway through every close game.

Another under-discussed factor with golden point is the toll on the players. It's simply not needed with the speed of the game now and 27 rounds. Look at the last 10 minutes of Raiders/Knights today, the players were exhausted for the last 10 of regulation. If that game had gone to GP it would have been a total lottery between 2 shattered sets of players.

Valheru

Coach
Yes I saw a NFL college game.it went into 8 extra times . Touchdowns were scored in extra times. But the other team would score back straight away. Equal the score. It's some sort of extra times record. It's on YouTube
College has different overtime rules.

Each team starts at the attacking 25 yards line and if it's tied after one possession each they go again so 8 periods of extra time is just 8 possessions each. 8 is a lot, but 3-4 is not uncommon.

mave

Coach
What’s that got to do with golden point being enjoyable

yes the warriors were hugely ripped off yesterday and not just the incident you raised

Well, you didn't say enjoyable....you said excellent.

Personally , a game loses the excellent tag once a blatantly bad decision costs one team the game, in the last minute of play....on top of numerous other dodgy decisions......but that's just me having that shit taste in my mouth, and it wasn't even my team.

I enjoyed the game, but the result was unjust, so no, not excellent, not in the slightest.

Latest posts