What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Good but depressing article regarding our season thusfar

hitman82

Bench
http://www.nzherald.co.nz/league/news/article.cfm?c_id=79&objectid=10720032
NRL: Warriors' season threatens to slip away

By Steve Deane

Another likely fine for an off-field balls-up, another injury to a key player, another muddled effort - just another Saturday night for the Warriors.
A quarter into the 24-game regular season the picture is not pretty after a soggy defeat at Manly that was perhaps the Warriors' ugliest display of the season.
The forward pack that flattened the Roosters and held its own against the Sharks was no match for the Sea Eagles. With no platform from which to operate, the halves struggled just to keep the team afloat, the outside backs saw no quality ball.
The 10-point margin did not reflect Manly's dominance, which suggests a slight nod should be given to the Warriors' defence, although the sodden conditions may have played a big part.
Positives? At a stretch it could be suggested much of Manly's superiority stemmed from the same blueprint from which the Warriors are attempting to construct a successful club.
Veterans Glenn Stewart and Joe Galuvao aside, Manly's best efforts came from a clutch of youngsters groomed through the junior ranks.

Manly recruited Joe Nobody and his brother Next To for this season, putting their faith in the likes of emerging talents Daly Cherry-Evans, William Hopoate, Jamie Buhrer, Vic Mauro and Michael Oldfield.
On Saturday, many Warriors with significantly more experience looked distinctly second-rate compared with the Manly tyros.
The Warriors' system is stacked with at least as much young talent. Some of it has already started to blossom. Glen Fisiiahi, the fullback of the future, will return soon enough to add a good degree of the spark that was missing on Saturday.
Elijah Taylor capped an impressive three-game foray into the NRL with a late consolation try. He also racked up 37 tackles and looks as if he could develop into a player with Micheal Luck's workrate, with ball-playing ability thrown in.
Young hooker Alehana Mara and strapping forward Sione Lousi made their first appearances of the season. Mara's impact was limited by the lifeless efforts of too many teammates, while Lousi's display was energetic, and more composed than last season.
The question now for coach Ivan Cleary is whether he continues down the path he took when he put the cleaners through his first-choice line-up in round four. The first indication of which way he leans will come as early as tomorrow, when he names his replacement for Shaun Berrigan, the veteran utility who broke his hand.
Cleary could either bring back Joel Moon to plug the gap at centre, or blood new signing Shaun Metcalf. Behind those two, young rugby convert Konrad Hurrell has been hugely impressive in two matches for the U20s. The strapping Hurrell scored a try and powered his way to a remarkable 327m on debut against the Roosters on debut last week, and followed that up with a two-try 201m effort against Manly's U20s on Saturday.
The margins are fine in the NRL. A better effort on Saturday night could have seen the Warriors reach 3-3, a win-loss ratio that would have given their season an entirely different feel.
Having lost the talismanic Manu Vatuvei just minutes into the season, and then Jerome Ropati and Fisiiahi - three of the seven opening-night starting backs - 3-3 would have looked like a pretty decent holding job.
Saturday night, then, was a missed chance. But no more than the opening night fumble-fest against the Eels, or the round-two loss to a Tigers side begging to be beaten. Three missed opportunities begin to look like a pattern.
The attempts to hold it together on the field haven't exactly been aided by a messy effort from the off-field officials. A likely fine for prop Jeremy Latimore starting the match despite being listed as a reserve on the team sheet follows two separate fines last week, when the team took the field late against the Roosters and trainer Ruben Wiki came into contact with a player.
Such incidents don't bode well ahead of a trip to Melbourne to face the super-methodical Storm next Monday.

NZ Warrior

First Grade
Throwing Hurrell into the mix would be welcoming disaster. I reckon he's playing injured at the moment, something to do with his neck. It seems like he's either pinched a nerve or has a bulging disc, he hasn't looked comfortable in the last 2 games.

Our forwards have got to step up, simple as that. An All-Star backline couldn't even do anything, behind our forwards at the moment. Having said that, Inu & Tupou have got to help out more and more dummy half runs from our hookers would help with the metres too.

JB

Juniors
"while Lousi's display was energetic, and more composed than last season".

Can go along with most of that apart from this.

Got done like a dinner a couple of times defending with concrete boots on, then a couple of ridiculous hail marys early in the tackle count led to turnovers.
Doesn't do it for me i'm afraid.

hitman82

Bench
Agnatius Paasi (sp) has been off the hook the last couple of weeks. A couple of errors in him but he can sure chew up the metres.

Our props are pretty blah atm.

How's Saulala Houma going for the Vulcans?

Or Upu Poching???

James Gavet is injured I assume? He looks like a total thug with that neck tattoo in his profile pic - based on that I bet he could do better than Latimore or Packer.

We need some ruthless front rowers something chronic. It's p*ssing me off seeing all these other teams with huge, agressive, effective props while ours are stumbling around like depressed alcoholics.

Scorpio30

Bench
Read that this morning (on my phone) and was hoping someone would put it up...Its quite a good article.

Micistm

Bench
Agnatius Paasi (sp) has been off the hook the last couple of weeks. A couple of errors in him but he can sure chew up the metres.

Our props are pretty blah atm.

How's Saulala Houma going for the Vulcans?

Or Upu Poching???

James Gavet is injured I assume? He looks like a total thug with that neck tattoo in his profile pic - based on that I bet he could do better than Latimore or Packer.

We need some ruthless front rowers something chronic. It's p*ssing me off seeing all these other teams with huge, agressive, effective props while ours are stumbling around like depressed alcoholics.

Totally agree. This is where Cleary needs to lose the mild character for a little while and absolutely read the guys the riot act. They really need a bomb under them. A couple of weeks of effort before going back to the chuggy style is not good enough.

Good article. Difficult as a fan but fair, no doubt about that.

Izz

Bench
Yeah--v chooks we weren't making huge metres, but we were hurting them each hit-up.

This weekend it looked the forwards thought it was a light training run.

I also don't understand why Latimore's in the team ahead of some of the more raw props (Houma, Gavet). They might be good for an error or two, but they'd make up for it in intensity, i think.

Lousi's bulked up too much. No lateral movement anymore.

Latest posts