What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Good Guy Mead

BestHookerRein

Juniors
http://www.couriermail.com.au/sport...s/news-story/4ee878f29ec71c39af7109db270a8505

NEW recruit David Mead has offered to help solve Brisbane’s centre conundrum after taking a whopping $200,000 pay cut in pursuit of a Broncos premiership.

Mead was once described by Gold Coast scouts as a young Steve Renouf and now the former Titan believes he can be a matchwinner in the Broncos No. 3 jumper Renouf made famous.

Mead’s signing with the Broncos last month was so clandestine he didn’t speak to coach Wayne Bennett, dashing into Red Hill’s offices during the finals to ink a one-year deal.

The 28-year-old still hasn’t met Bennett, but with the super coach eyeing centre options following the retirement of Jack Reed, Mead believes he can be a handy weapon on Brisbane’s left edge.

“I would look at a centre spot,” said Mead, who impressed in the club’s pre-season 1.5km time trial.

“I have played some games there during my career so if Wayne is keen to put me in the centres, I will take it with both hands.

“I played my junior years in the centres and in the Titans under-20s, so hopefully I can get a starting jersey there or on the wing for Round 1.”

Mead endured a bizarre seven-year tenure at the Titans. He was one of the club’s most gifted outside backs but was consistently denied his beloved fullback spot during a 147-game career that netted 67 tries.

Such was Mead’s talent, Bennett, away with England on Four Nations duty last month, authorised the Broncos to sign him without a single discussion.

“To be honest, I haven’t spoken to Wayne or even met him,” he said.

“I was dealing with Peter Nolan (Broncos recruitment chief) and he told me Wayne was keen to have me there.

“I still haven’t spoken to him, I didn’t think I’d really need to. I know Wayne’s brother Bob well through the PNG rugby league so that helped influence my decision.”

Mead had interest from rugby’s Western Force but took a massive downgrade to chase success at the Broncos.

Clearly, money doesn’t drive Mead, a mentality forged via the lessons experienced by family in his native Papua New Guinea.

“Money isn’t everything to me,” he said.

“A lot of my relatives in PNG are on minimum wage. They are lucky to earn $200 a fortnight, so compared to them I reckon I’m doing OK.

“Thinking like that grounds me and it makes me appreciate the game and I enjoy the game a lot more.

“We live in Australia so we can’t complain. Retiring from the NRL and working one day doesn’t scare me. I was happy to take less if it meant I am happy with my football.

“I’ve signed for just one year, but I am happy to back myself at a good club. I see this as a club that regularly plays semi-final football and that was the main reason why I chose the Broncos.”

--------------------------

I wish there were more players like him

DiegoNT

First Grade
20161126_085743.png
Benji: 'Dragons only offered me $350k for next season. That's an insult, i won't accept that, I'm worth more!'

Benji to Benji: 'sign with the Broncos for $100k'

2012....Sharks Year

First Grade
Look if Locky was only worth 200k of Broncos dollars at the peak of his powers i think 100k is overs for Benji. Unfortunately Bennett has lost his mojo so hopefully another decade of faarrkk all for the donkeys.....On a side note can anyone confirm if third man Sam swallowed a cow in the off-season?

DiegoNT

First Grade
But it's the "guaranteed" premiership they're after.

I hope they're patient. I'd give the Titans as much chance of winning the comp in the next three years.
Broncos are from from a guarenteed success nowdays. To have any success you have to at least finish in the top 4, something the broncos have only done once in theast 5 years and only twice in the last 10 decade.

Latest posts