What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Gordon To Leave…

darkbloom

Juniors
Maybe Jennings should shut the f**k up and stop bitching to the media and actually go out and do his job....then perhaps he may not be criticised by the coaching staff.

The guy did absolutely nothing against the Vulcan's for Christs sake. What makes people think that he's into the game?

The pattern is so similar. Many fans accepted Elliott's spin on Puletua & Wesser and turned against them.

Whatever is wrong here it is more wrong by being played out in the media.

Big Mick

Referee
What spin?

What's in the paper the last 3-4 days is ALL Jennings talking...

And tbh I never got on the Puletua hate, but did the Wesser but that is because Rhys definitely wasn't putting in towards the end unfortunately. His skills had diminished.

This is more aggressive because it is a young player in his prime but he is so ridiculously frustrating to watch. He never involves himself and I've been frustrated with Jennings for 2 years now. For a guy that gets paid a bucketload he just doesn't contribute as much as he should...and I don't buy this whole "His halfback is shit and doesn't get him the ball". Go look for it....That's what all good players do..

It isn't rocket science. Would I like to keep him - hell yeah. But do I want to keep him if he keeps playing and training like he is above the team and game...no. And at games I've seen...you definitely see it...there are times when he just doesn't care! And when I see someone like Josh Mansour who is so happy to be given an opportunity and busting his backside...getting in there and doing work...for what he is likely on as a wage...compared to Jennings it pisses me off.

Last edited:

franklin2323

Immortal
Cool story bro.

Field a team 17 vs 5 and see if people turn up.

You need a balance atm ours is way wrong. Why can't non drinking clean skin great players get 3rd party deals. Coote. Lewis. Gordon. Grant all don't drink train their backside's off yet none have deals to help the cap. Jennings popularity is proven by his All Stars selection all off votes. Players like him. Benji, hayne etc maybe knobs but put bums on seats.

Big Mick

Referee
I don't know if we use them or not.

Based on what Gus has said we don't...but that could be all posturing as well...we don't know.

Our balance is wrong because we are paying $600k for a centre that play's 1 game every 5 and in that game at most gets 7-10 touches.

That sort of money should only be allocated to a 6,7,9,13 as someone else has said before on here.

Backs come out of the woodwork all the time. Look at Mansour...deadset reminded me of Flash when coming into grade...same running style, same footwork, moving around defenders...very similar, but a bit taller. U don't need to spend big money on a back.

darkbloom

Juniors
What spin?

What's in the paper the last 3-4 days is ALL Jennings talking...

And tbh I never got on the Puletua hate, but did the Wesser but that is because Rhys definitely wasn't putting in towards the end unfortunately. His skills had diminished.

This is more aggressive because it is a young player in his prime but he is so ridiculously frustrating to watch. He never involves himself and I've been frustrated with Jennings for 2 years now. For a guy that gets paid a bucketload he just doesn't contribute as much as he should...and I don't buy this whole "His halfback is shit and doesn't get him the ball". Go look for it....That's what all good players do..

It isn't rocket science. Would I like to keep him - hell yeah. But do I want to keep him if he keeps playing and training like he is above the team and game...no. And at games I've seen...you definitely see it...there are times when he just doesn't care! And when I see someone like Josh Mansour who is so happy to be given an opportunity and busting his backside...getting in there and doing work...for what he is likely on as a wage...compared to Jennings it pisses me off.

Just saying the club behaviour is very similar.

The current stuff from Jennings is him trying to answer the attack on him. Wesser & Puletua did not really do that probably because they were not in their prime and the public was confronted with the contradictory opinions of the club and SOO coaches and management.

The club looks like they are using techniques to make him want to go rather than using techniques to help him contribute better.

chrisD

Coach
Melbourne game aside, Jennings has stepped up this season. I don't see how anyone could have been disappointed with his effort (or form) this season until that match.

Big Mick

Referee
Melbourne game aside, Jennings has stepped up this season. I don't see how anyone could have been disappointed with his effort (or form) this season until that match.

I agree!

But from everything that happened last year and post round 4 this year he has shown he can't really be trusted to be a professional to earn that money. It is a give and take relationship. Jennings showed in pre-season he had turned himself around...and soon as he starts getting a bit of success and positive news...he decided to go back to old habits...It is that sort of thing that crushes a relationship between coach and player. I know that all too well unfortunately from personal experience (Granted not talking about a $600k player).

And even though he was good the first 4 rounds...was he $600k good? Not so sure.

We need him getting in there doing hard stuff as well. Show a bit of urgency and get in there at dummy half.

Unfortunately talent is only half the story in the NRL. If u are not 100% committed to the team...and 100% committed to your application in preparing you will not succeed.

You only need to look at Todd Carney to see what the upside and downside is with that - Dally M Player of the year when clean and committed, Reserve Grader when he is off the program. Professionalism is also about trust between organisation & player and when a player breaks that trust...sometimes it is just as much of a hit as going off the rails.

Last edited:

betcats

Referee
Good post Mick.

It would be hard to lose Jenko but if Gus and Ivan decide its the best thing for the team then im with them.

cb4

First Grade
OK, my final update on this.

Your offer is about 80k below ours. He has a heavey heart about leaving Penrith, but a few officials are inclined to say that Gordon will be a Shark.

My source on this was confident over the weekend that Gordon would re-sign with you guys but he is up in the air now.

Final tip: I reckon he will stay, and Jennings gets punted.

franklin2323

Immortal
We don't know who we bidded against for him. Someone else may of offered 550k so we beat it. The problem is their offer may of only been $400k on the books. which is more where he should be.

Given we have lost over $1m in talent since 2010 3 internationals. 3 very handy fg. We must stop the rot of losing quality players. Simple as that!

12months on & we have made no moves to improve the roster just risk losing Gordon & Jennings which is a disgrace!

betcats

Referee
Its good to know he wants to stay atleast, I wont blame him if he takes the money and the better situation at the sharkies.

Big Mick

Referee
We don't know who we bidded against for him. Someone else may of offered 550k so we beat it. The problem is their offer may of only been $400k on the books. which is more where he should be.

Given we have lost over $1m in talent since 2010 3 internationals. 3 very handy fg. We must stop the rot of losing quality players. Simple as that!

12months on & we have made no moves to improve the roster just risk losing Gordon & Jennings which is a disgrace!

Cronulla's offer doesn't include 3rd party.

age.s

First Grade
Cronulla's offer doesn't include 3rd party.

Are you saying theirs will be more than 80k over once 3rd party is included or ours will be closer because the figure cb4 mentioned doesn't include all we'll be giving him?