What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Gota Agree with Fitzy

eels_fan_01

Bench
tiger_nick said:
I can see where hindy is coming from. As a parra fan he probably assumes every teams supporters think their team will choke in the prelim semi and that if they don’t, they would celebrate like crazy.

Well as either a Balmain or Wests supporters considering combined you have won 1 premiership in 50 years, i guess you can relate.

Kurt Angle

First Grade
Collingwood Storm said:
it was a bit of an embaressment for ch9 yesterday when they interviewed Ryan Hoffman after the game and asked him was he impressed by Manly on Saturday night and he replied something along the lines of 'wouldn't have a clue, 9 didnt put it on until midnight'

I wonder if he realised what he was saying, or he has been coached to say that response.

Inadvertantly (or maybe not), that is a very clever response to the way channel 9 treats RL.

Ziggy the God

First Grade
Kurt Angle said:
I wonder if he realised what he was saying, or he has been coached to say that response.

Inadvertantly (or maybe not), that is a very clever response to the way channel 9 treats RL.

IMHO, I would guess the latter, and good on them for saying it on air.

donkey|rope

Juniors
what a crock of sh*t.

i was in melbourne from friday till sunday night, and there was lots of support for the storm about town. friday night i was at a party and this bloke was saying how stoked geelong won, and whne melbourne wins on sunday his weekend is complete. on saturday i was walking up russel st and there was about 15 blokes in parra gear wondering around. i went to rebel sport to buy some trainers, and there was a bunch of kids buying storm jerseys and scarfs. on friday i took a train to the city and the entire thing was packed full of storm fans and well-wishers. once i was in the city i saw hundreds of people walking around in storm gear and there were people shouting 'go the storm' to them as they walked by. i would have gone to the game myself if i cared about either the storm or parra, so instead i spent the afternoon at a pub and i was surprised at the amount of people who were interested in the game, asking what the score was and if the storm was winning. i took a cab to get a skybus in the dying minutes of the game, and the cabbie was listening to the storm and he was getting right into it. i asked if he was originally from qld or nsw and he said he was vic born and bred, and he is going to get a season ticket next season. once i was in the docklands and boarded the skybus, it became packed with parra jerseys and a few melbournites started to give them grief about the loss.

melbourne isn't a bastion of league, and i'm not trying to paint it as one, but to say that no one other than the 30-thousand who showed up at the game give a toss about the storm is sad

innsaneink

Referee
Dunno what it was like this year, was away all w/end, but last season it took them a couple of days to get the news up on their website that they'd made the GF.

ouwet

Bench
I have been to Melbourne to watch the Bulldogs play 3 times.

First time was in 2004 - RL in Melbourne was non-existent, I got the occasional go Melbourne (My mates and I were wearing Bulldog jerseys all weekend lol), I couldn't find a place to buy a RL Ball (I left mine in Sydney) or any shop that sold Merchandise, the crowd at the game was under 10,000 and the Bulldogs were coming first (Not after that loss, Roosters re-took first) and the atmosphere was pretty dull (It was a miserable day though)... OH and in the papers you wouldn’t of known a game was being played.

This year however I went to Melbourne for our Monday night game... All weekend again we were wearing our Bulldogs and/or ARL jerseys, this time however people knew Melbourne V Bulldogs was on, we got HEAPS of "go Melbourne" with the occasional and surprising "Go the Bulldogs"... At the Bulldogs training session, surprisingly again 200 or so people turned up (Yes not much, but it was on SUNDAY NIGHT and at Princess park), most were not Bulldog supporters but RL supporters from Melbourne... They knew all the players who stayed back for a good 30minutes to sign posters, take pictures etc... The paper on Monday had a PREVIEW of the game and a couple of pages on RL (Never thought I’d see the day).

At the game, the stadium was FULL... The crowd was just under 15K from memory, but I don't know were the other 3 or 4 thousand would fit, the supporters were vocal and knew the rules and players... I can say from experience RL in Melbourne has come along in leaps and bounds in a short period of time.. Keep it up Melbourne and GOOD LUCK on Sunday night, I will be at Telstra Stadium cheering you guys on!

Stormboyz

Juniors
Good posts from Donkey and LF.
The atmosphere around town on Sunday lunchtime was fantastic.
I went for lunch at Southbank and the amount of people wearing Storm and Parra colours really surprised me.

first off go into the trains than hear all the go the storm all through everyone was talking about the game

im not a storm fan and hate the club more than any other but too say the crowd wasnt passionite is just stupid

hindmarsh4pm said:
i made the trek down to melbourne, and after the game walking out i was expecting to get blasted and picked on heaps, yet the melbourne supporters didn't even care or celebrate, it was dead, a few beeps of the horn the odd flag being waved.
I understand if they didn't want to celebrate to much because of what happened last year, but if that was parra who won, the streets of parra would be closed because there would be a massive party going on.
This Melbourne team has killed it the past 2 seasons and it seems the supporters don't even care, my mate made the comment that walking out of the stadium was just like walking out of the cinemas.....silence quiet, it was like they had lost....i never agree with fitzy but i understand why he says the game wont ever develop in melbourne, no body cares about it!!!

every cab i got in had no idea there was a game on the people at the hotel were confused, people in the streets looking at us like we were from another planet coz we had parra jerseys on, some little kid comes up to me and says do you support west coast eagles hahahaha.....they really dont care for league down there

Sort of agree...I fired up after the game and gave out a few "Go Storm"'s and people just stared at me non plussed !!!...oh well who gives a poo; I was happy !!!.;-)

In-goal

Bench
For the storm perhaps it's even more important to mention that they had over 30K the weekend a Victorian club finally broke the interstate curse that's been plagueing the AFL.

Fair bump well done to the MS

LESStar58

Referee
Collingwood Storm said:
it was a bit of an embaressment for ch9 yesterday when they interviewed Ryan Hoffman after the game and asked him was he impressed by Manly on Saturday night and he replied something along the lines of 'wouldn't have a clue, 9 didnt put it on until midnight'

Whats wrong with that? There's no malice in it.... it is simply the truth.