What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Gould adding to or detracting from the Roosters?

Thought I'd make a new thread about this issue and get everyone's opinions. I reckon Phil Gould is actually bad for the Roosters.

It's actually unusual, I've still got a lot of respect for Stuart, I think he's become a whinger since he's been at the Roosters which is a bit of a shame but I reckon he's a hardworking coach and one of the best halfbacks I've ever seen...a simply great player. An honest bloke too.

That Phil Gould though, I have less than no respect for him. He's a filthy low life grub and everyone knows it and thinks it. I know he is meant to push the Roosters barrow in the media but does he actually get popular support for anything he says? No he doesnt. Everyone reflexively goes against him because they know he is a vile, evil maggot. I think Chris Anderson got it best when he said "I just hope I never become him".

I guess the point I am trying to make is, that a decent guy like Sticky and for that matter a well respected businessman like Nick Politis doesnt need that dog low worm Phil Gould at their club. He's detracting from the Roosters, not adding anything to them. I really think the Roosters should unceremoniously ditch him for their own good, and for the good of the league world.

Your thoughts?

PrideKnight

Bench
i think gould is a detraction from the whole game.
If anyone thinks he's not gunna be sticking his fat ugly head into origin matters this yr, think again

gregstar

Referee
i think he adds to the roosters & should stay right there! don't let him move at all!

MiteyDogs

Juniors
I just love listening to his biased comments on Channel 9 when commentating in games against the Dogs whenever we play. I always wait for his lines the ba$tard!!

I just love listening to his biased comments on Channel 9 when commentating in games against the Dogs whenever we play. I always wait for his lines the ba$tard!!

hahah what, everyone hates gould!!

Tidus_Raider

Bench
Gould is the biggest hypocrite their is in the game. Week after week he blasts the game in his newspaper articles yet when calling it on channel 9 continually labels it the greatest game of all. The guy is a dead set drop kick and should be rubbed out of our game for good.

Nugby

Juniors
Absolutely, I know I hate the Roosters all the more when he comes out and rants his biased bullsh*t on tv and in the paper, especially when it's a blatant lie like "That tackle wasn't high at all" or when he does stuff like demonstrating why Gasnier's try was overruled back in the Anzac game, though I had a it of a laugh with that last night :lol:

Frailty

First Grade
He shits me with how he constantly brings up news ltd (and so do too many people here). He will have a go at a journalist for reporting a confrontation he has with johns. Yet he will write anything he wants in his column because he believes he is above everyone else and only his opinion matters.

I dont know about everyone else, but I preferred his replacement last sunday more... and thats right people... it was the legend himself reg reagan.

Broncodroid

Juniors
Let's keep in mind, Phil Gould is employed by both TV and print media where he is paid to provide thoughtful opinion and analysis on the going's on in Rugby League whether it be on or off the field. Unlike the safety net you and I have that being anonyminity(sp), Gus puts his opinion out there for the Rugby League public to scrutinise.

No, I am not going to say I agree with everything Gus promotes, but I will read and listen to what he has to say digesting from that what I deem relevant to make my own informed opinion.

As for Gus detracting from the Roosters ? How so ? I won't believe for one minute that anything media related directed at Gould from gossip columnists like Rebecca Wilson would bother any professional sporting team let alone a team as professional as Sydney City.

Gould is the games most successful Origin coach, he remains to this day, the youngest premiership winning coach in the history of the game (Canterbury in 1988), won another with Penrith in 1991 in which I think he would be in a position to pass on invaluable knowledge and experience to a guy STILL learing the job in Ricky Stuart.

Gould has his flaws, I acknowledge this, I AGAIN will say I can handle the guy in small doses only such is over the top ranting that can fly from his gob...but I will not turn off / not read Gould's column to conform with popular opinion that Gould brings 'nothing good to the game' and only promotes his own cause. Gould is the one who was promoting Origin when we were looking for a spark for years, Gus was the guy who forwarded the idea to bring the NSW team to the Country, Gus was the guy at the fore when fighting the good fight vs Super League...the latter we as Rugby League fans do not acknowledge enough.

Give the guy a break, these BS anti Gus threads are becoming as lame as the 'Anti-Roosters' threads that are spawn daily. :roll: Most are willing to post one line comments with little opinion to back up as to why the sentiment is there...most conform AGAIN with popular opinion in order not to be ridiculed by 'tough guy' posters. Get something behind you 'hate' or don't bother posting IMO.

you dopes if you knew 1% of what he knows about the game you would be lucky . 2 premierships and countless origin victories as a coach. what have any of you done - sfa.

Mr Saab

Referee
I respect Gussie Gould, he is a smart man (he learnt from the bestest in Warren Ryan)...but...when he commentates on Rooster games he is a f**king tool.

BroncoLover

Juniors
i agree. he detracts from the whole game not just the roosters, the game would be a better place without his so called 'expert' views and his extremely stupid commentary, kicking him off the channel 9 team wont be enough, the sydney morning herald have to get rid of him, if neither happens we will never hear or see the end of phil 'gus' gould :(

woodgers

Bench
Phil Gould's problem is that he has his finger in too many pies. Is he an assistant coach, Origin Coach, Channel 9 commentator, Boots n all host, Newspaper columnist or king of the world? The reason I don't like him is that he has so many positions that there are numerous conflict of interests.

I agree with the above post saying that he is a hypocrite. How many times this year has he whinged and whined while commentating about 'The stripping rule is the worst rule in rugby league' or 'That's not a penalty, thats not a penalty'(like we didn't hear him the first time). 2 minutes later he is saying things like "A full house at Win stadium on a Sunday afternoon, this is the greatest game of all" He must forget what he has just said or he has multiple personalities.

Ricky Stuart has enough knowledge and respect from the players to stand on his own 2 feet. The Roosters should can his position. If they do it, he may actually get disgruntled and commentate/write unbiased articles.

I am not going to say he doesn't know what he is on about, he has one of the best football brains around. I can recall watching games and he will mention something like 'X player will always drift towards the centre of the ruck on the 3rd tackle'. Needless to say I keep watch and it will happen, something 99% of us would never even think to watch. He does have a place in the game however he needs to pick one job that he gives 100% to and have a go from there.

Nugby

Juniors
Let's keep in mind, Phil Gould is employed by both TV and print media where he is paid to provide thoughtful opinion and analysis on the going's on in Rugby League whether it be on or off the field. Unlike the safety net you and I have that being anonyminity(sp), Gus puts his opinion out there for the Rugby League public to scrutinise.

While I don't agree with your view of Gould, Origin coach or not, at least we can all sleep easier knowing that Rooster Cogburn isn't in this position :lol:

Latest posts