What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Gould finds a way to get the Roosters in the finals

*Paul*

Juniors
Razor said:
Explain how it is possible to go through a season undefeated and miss the finals?
If every game is a draw, seven teams who are undefeated miss out.

24 draws gets 28 pts now, which is close to the cutoff, even without Gould's weighting for some wins.

gaterooze

Bench
The Super 12 system is ridiculous ("bonus points" -- a reward for LOSING?), and Gould's isn't much better. The Super 12's system is in place as an artifical way to make the games a) closer and b) more "exciting" (by awarding bonus points for scoring 4+ tries -- how laughable is that!). Pity the reality is far from that :lol:

Teams are already rewarded in the NRL for having tight matches -- a little thing called points differential. But a win is a win and should be absolute.

The only alteration with some merit is that the loser of a Golden Point match gets 1 point, but even then I'm not so sure.

Eelectrica

Referee
No. Teams either win, lose or draw. If teams win eough games to make the finals then so be it. Simple and the way it should be.

Points differential has played a part in this years comp with both the Dragons and Parra winning the same amount of games.

aussies1st

Staff member
There is nothing wrong with the round robin part of the series for the NRL. Its the final series which needs more attention.

Michaelson

Juniors
Imagine how boring a game would be once it got to golden point time. You'd be cheering your team to get 6 points rather than 4 or 5. In a comp where 8th spot will be on around 120 points it would be close to meaningless.

This system would actually make close games dull!

I like Phil Gould, but this is a dreadful idea. Super 12s style system, with major modifications, would be far preferable in my view. It'd be interesting to re-write the table if 4 points for a win, bonus point for 6 tries and a bonus point for losing by six or less.

Eels Dude

Coach
I thought that Gould might be presenting an innovative idea when first looking at the story, then when I noticed he had the Roosters finishing 7th I quickly changed my mind...

MIA

Juniors
Unlike the Super 12, the NRL season is long enough to reward teams for their performances throughout a whole season. The only change I could possibly make to the current setup is to reduce the number of team in the finals to 7 or 6.

Latest posts