What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Gould's origin commentary is a disgrace.

Frank Facer

First Grade
Before the game even started Gould was harping on about Qld winning 13 of the origin deciders. Then throughout the whole game, he continued to talk Qld up, praise them and harp on about Qld winning 13 deciders. Gould exaggerated Qld's dominance in the first half. There wasn't much in it. Then when NSW scored and evened up the score, Gould still was talking as if Qld were at least 12 points up. Then when we hit the front, Gould went a bit quite, but when Qld scored scored again, he continued to bring up how Qld had won 13 of the deciders. When we scored the winning try, Gould didn't have much more to say after that. I am obviously appalled by Gould's origin commentary.

I usually do not watch Chanel channel 9 games, and Gould and Vautin's commentary are major reasons why I don't.

TheFrog

Coach
Before the game even started Gould was harping on about Qld winning 13 of the origin deciders. Then throughout the whole game, he continued to talk Qld up, praise them and harp on about Qld winning 13 deciders. Gould exaggerated Qld's dominance in the first half.
It's his job. Channel Nine pay him, probably handsomely, to say things that in their opinion make their coverage more interesting/exciting. NSW were supposed to win this game easy. Gould said they wouldn't and they didn't. Queensland have a reputation for coming back late and they did exactly that, as he said they might. He was actually spot on.

Brutalitops

Juniors
I think this thread might contain literally the only people on the entire planet who think Phil Gould has a bias towards QLD lmao

New South Wales win the State of Origin series in the most exciting fashion but you can only choose one option:

Option 1 - Be happy.

Option 2 - Be a f**king whiny bitch and start a thread whining and bitching about the commentary.

Brutalitops

Juniors
What's really funny about this thread is Gus was very clearly a heavily passionate NSW fan throughout, and his comments on QLD merely came from a place of fear of watching them meticulously take NSW apart for a decade.

You can hear it in the way he shouting "GO MY BOY YES" when Fergo was making a break that he bleeds blue. Thread is way off

possm

Coach
I thought Gould's commentary last night was good and both Gould and fatty at times went out of their way to complement the opposition team. However, Gould showed himself to clealy be a Blues supporter and fatty a Qld supporter.

I have no problems with the commentary but did have a problem with the intervention of the referee in the first 20min of the game. It seemed to me at the time that he was trying to put a thumb on the scale in favour of Qld.

BLM01

First Grade
It's his job. Channel Nine pay him, probably handsomely, to say things that in their opinion make their coverage more interesting/exciting. NSW were supposed to win this game easy. Gould said they wouldn't and they didn't. Queensland have a reputation for coming back late and they did exactly that, as he said they might. He was actually spot on.
Yes this exactly....especially the Gus & Rabs on air arguments although less these days. Drama and excitement even where there is none...just create it.... that is all TV is today....dont you guys watch reality TV. I like GUs...many dont and I would love him to be the Dragons General Manager of Football but will never happen.
Fatty still is a knucklehead and proven again his time in commentary and analysis / reading a game has long gone. Fatty twice within 10 minutes in the 2nd half turned to Gus to say.exactly the same words.in regards to how Fergo has played well tonight and been strong for the Blues. His ref bashing was a bit boring and predictable as was Gus's.
They both went out of their way to ensure they patted Mitchell Pearce on the back to close the chapter on their feel good redemption story.
Pearce was OK and just did what he can basically only do at that level....Defend well and show urgency all the time in defence.
Yeh...the great last pass that GUS said he would not of done and all that BS if he had demons in his head making it out to be the greatest play maker vision decision...it was not that hard to see what was on there..but good on him.
And I am certainly not against women sideline commentary or on TV talking some footy as I like Ruan Sims & the other ex blonde hair player (they know the game), used to like Yvonne and even the most recent brown hair girl with a rusky voice on Nine.
But please I find Erin Molan game day interviews embarrassing to watch and clueless even when she hosts.
She is better doing the feel good D & M serious stuff 1 on 1. Just my take on things

Last edited:

TheFrog

Coach
It seemed to me at the time that he was trying to put a thumb on the scale in favour of Qld.
Maybe you're right. The last thing they'd have wanted was another blow out like game 2, so perhaps the ref's job was to make it as stop-start as possible in the first half.

Old Timer

Coach
Yes this exactly....especially the Gus & Rabs on air arguments although less these days. Drama and excitement even where there is none...just create it.... that is all TV is today....dont you guys watch reality TV. I like GUs...many dont and I would love him to be the Dragons General Manager of Football but will never happen.
Fatty still is a knucklehead and proven again his time in commentary and analysis / reading a game has long gone. Fatty twice within 10 minutes in the 2nd half turned to Gus to say.exactly the same words.in regards to how Fergo has played well tonight and been strong for the Blues. His ref bashing was a bit boring and predictable as was Gus's.
They both went out of their way to ensure they patted Mitchell Pearce on the back to close the chapter on their feel good redemption story.
Pearce was OK and just did what he can basically only do at that level....Defend well and show urgency all the time in defence.
Yeh...the great last pass that GUS said he would not of done and all that BS if he had demons in his head making it out to be the greatest play maker vision decision...it was not that hard to see what was on there..but good on him.
And I am certainly not against women sideline commentary or on TV talking some footy as I like Ruan Sims & the other ex blonde hair player (they know the game), used to like Yvonne and even the most recent brown hair girl with a rusky voice on Nine.
But please I find Erin Molan game day interviews embarrassing to watch and clueless even when she hosts.
She is better doing the feel good D & M serious stuff 1 on 1. Just my take on things
Pretty much exactly how I see it as well.
No doubt their masters script how they want the conversations to go as they want to create hype for the entire 3 hours of TV to cover 1.5 hours of footy.
Give me Moose Mossop any day over all this touchy, feely, good news story shit they go on with now.

tevoro

First Grade
What's really funny about this thread is Gus was very clearly a heavily passionate NSW fan throughout, and his comments on QLD merely came from a place of fear of watching them meticulously take NSW apart for a decade.

You can hear it in the way he shouting "GO MY BOY YES" when Fergo was making a break that he bleeds blue. Thread is way off
Agree. Gus highlighting that we should never write QLD off was exactly what every NSW fan was thinking.
Admit it, everyone thought "here we go again" when QLD scored through McGuire and even more so when Papali scored.

Old Kogarah Boy 1

First Grade
Pretty much exactly how I see it as well.
No doubt their masters script how they want the conversations to go as they want to create hype for the entire 3 hours of TV to cover 1.5 hours of footy.
Give me Moose Mossop any day over all this touchy, feely, good news story shit they go on with now.

Precisely, OT.

How we pine for the likes of Rex Messup with his Ricky Walpole interpretations and macho mannerisms of yesteryear.

If only we could of heard, "lts long enough, if it's straight enough.... its right between the posts." With Frank Hyde looking down on us from the land above.

Wishing l was there to see him present his Sekio watch for his MoM award, makes me want to reach for a Bex powder to settle the nerves.

To have thrown down a Big Ben pie at half time, whilst spitting all the grissle at my son as we watched the game in the second half.

To have washed it all down with some Silver Bullets or D.A. or even Kiddies beer afterwards would be a necessity....... and to shout some verbal abuse at the referee for being neutral gender or alike would complete the warm, fuzzy feelings we use to feel at the end of the game.'

Gee l miss those good old days!

merahputih

Juniors
Precisely, OT.

How we pine for the likes of Rex Messup with his Ricky Walpole interpretations and macho mannerisms of yesteryear.

If only we could of heard, "lts long enough, if it's straight enough.... its right between the posts." With Frank Hyde looking down on us from the land above.

Wishing l was there to see him present his Sekio watch for his MoM award, makes me want to reach for a Bex powder to settle the nerves.

To have thrown down a Big Ben pie at half time, whilst spitting all the grissle at my son as we watched the game in the second half.

To have washed it all down with some Silver Bullets or D.A. or even Kiddies beer afterwards would be a necessity....... and to shout some verbal abuse at the referee for being neutral gender or alike would complete the warm, fuzzy feelings we use to feel at the end of the game.'

Gee l miss those good old days!
Wonderful stuff OKB! (Must totally mystify younger posters on here). They don't know what they missed. Some of 'The Moose's sayings were priceless: 'He seems to be favouring a groin injury on the top of his leg'. 'The ref has given him a verbal tongue lashing'. Once he detained a male nudist at a beach near his home and called the cops, saying later 'I don't need the male genitalia rammed down my throat.' And who could forget his TV show with the 'passing competition'. A pretty handy player in his time too, in League and Union. And Frank Hyde calling games on the radio seated at a picnic table on the sidelines in all kinds of weather.