What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Graham is a MUST for fullback

thickos

First Grade
Correct, he was fullback in PL quite a bit and has alternated with Chalky in that position before both came up into firsts.

He's big, strong and safe but I just fear he's not dynamic enough.

dubby

Bench
We have no fullbacks dynamic enough to take over from Choc.

Phil reminds me of Gary Belcher, who actually started off as a 5/8 or centre before moving to fullback at the Raiders. Both have great footwork, have tonnes of pace and are pretty handy with their ballwork. I think Phil should be given a shot.

schnitzel

Juniors
The point I'm trying to make is Graham doesn't get his hands on the ball enough out wide. Vs Broncos he managed to get plenty but he is our best attacking weapon and in a lot of games he goes missing. From fullback he'll handle the ball heaps and bob up all over the place to hit holes or create for someone else. The comparison with Mullins is spot on. Give him a full off season at the back and watch out!

As for Chalk at fullback or centre, forget it. I've never seen him put on a step or any kind of footwork, he just runs hard and straight and tries to go thru defenders. Not destined to play in the backs but a good bench utility...

Lime_Green

Juniors
I agree re: Chalk. He's a good strong runner, but he completely lacks flair. He's actually looking most natural as a second rower. One of the few times Elliott may have been right to move a back into that role.

I think Purtell might have flair actually. He makes quite a few line breaks. He currently lacks confidence so we only see glimpses. He played a match in PL this year where he played most of the match at 5/8 and did a great job, that says a lot. He'll never be Choc though.

It's probably a two horse race between Zillman and Chalk so it useless speculating about Graham and Purtell. :)

Edwahu

Bench
Chalk is jsut about our best line runner as a FB. He runs straight and hard but he runs into gaps. He killed it running off smith last time he played there.

aussies1st

Staff member
Purtell is solid, haven't seen his attacking side but might be an option at fullback.

PRKLCD

Juniors
aussies1st said:
Purtell is solid, haven't seen his attacking side but might be an option at fullback.

That's the thing - he has played 22 FG games this year and no one has seen his attacking side :crazy:

Sydney_Raider

Juniors
I can't believe there are so many supposed candidates for fullback IMO Goodwin is far and away the best option. Zillman and Carney to make up the halves. I actually saw Graham as more of a winger however I saw a different side to his game against the Broncos. Leave him where he is. We will need another outside back to step up to the mark next year and I am hoping it is Frawley (would of said Ale but haven't heard whether he will be at the Raiders next year).

A lot of people have been saying that the Raiders will in trouble next year given the players that are going, however we have the luxury of 2 players, Goodwin and Zillman, that would already be playing first grade at most other clubs, to come in to the side. Added to that, Josh Miller has been out all year, so there are a lot of positives looking ahead.

Bay56

First Grade
I can remember GE and I seeing the Turtell in a pre-season game and noting "yea .... but boyo his defence is a bit sus ... wouldnt want him on the outside of say Howell"

Paullyboy

Coach
Sydney_Raider said:
I can't believe there are so many supposed candidates for fullback IMO Goodwin is far and away the best option. Zillman and Carney to make up the halves. I actually saw Graham as more of a winger however I saw a different side to his game against the Broncos. Leave him where he is. We will need another outside back to step up to the mark next year and I am hoping it is Frawley (would of said Ale but haven't heard whether he will be at the Raiders next year).

A lot of people have been saying that the Raiders will in trouble next year given the players that are going, however we have the luxury of 2 players, Goodwin and Zillman, that would already be playing first grade at most other clubs, to come in to the side. Added to that, Josh Miller has been out all year, so there are a lot of positives looking ahead.

Thats exactly it. Everyone is saying how we are buggered next year losing all this class but in reality I think this is a great thing for us. These kids could make us one of the most unpredictable backlines in the competition. Imagine Zilly and Carney in the halves with a backline that includes Graham and Best (two fo the best try-scoring strike rates in the NRL) with names like Goodwin, Frawley and to a lesser extent Purtell and Howell in there somewhere as well.

I am actually really excited about our 07 prospects.

Bay56 said:
I can remember GE and I seeing the Turtell in a pre-season game and noting "yea .... but boyo his defence is a bit sus ... wouldnt want him on the outside of say Howell"

People may laugh at me, and I understand why, but I actually think Purtell is going to be a very decent player for us in the future.

I have seen enough of him in the lower grades to suggest he has the ability to become a very good first grade winger/centre, provided he can fix up his defense, and I am usually a fairly good judge of Junior talent.

This year in first grade he hasn't shown much, and to be honest hasn't warranted selection as often as he has, but I think he is a player that lacked mental toughness and confidence, which I can now see comming back into his game and I think he will only get better and better.

he is tall and relatively large for a winger, so I think that with a bit of coaching especially on his defensive decision making, he could be quite a good defender.

All hail king "TURTELL"!!!

aussies1st

Staff member
I'm more worried about his lack of attack. Hes done nothing for 22 rounds attack wise. Fix that and people may change there minds.

schnitzel said:
Turtell has the nickname for a reason. He has no leg speed! It takes 10 metres for him to get going...

He'll be OK mate. He is pretty ordinary at the moment but I think youll see a 200% improvement in 2007 from him. He is showing signs of it already

raidz3r

Juniors
imo he is the worst back in both the PL and FG teams..the guy has nothing
if any other back in PL was given as much time in FG to prove themselves, they would of shown far more than turtell.