What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Grand Final - Panthers vs Rabbitohs: Sunday 3rd October 7:30pm @Suncorp Stadium

Rabbits20

Immortal
Marshall has some valid points, as well as a couple of Souths posters.

The thing in what will be in Penrith's favor over Souths was there to see seen in what we displayed in the Storm win. It was the fire in their belly, the absolute commitment they showed in defense by not only keeping one of the greatest scoring machines to one try, which scored an average 34 ppg this season, but their defending actually physically busted up their players to the point of them in having to leave the ground. That is how hard we defended...we were ruthlessly brutal this afternoon.

When Souths watch this game together, how uneasy are they going to feel after watching this? Maybe a little intimidated as the Storm were? Maybe not.

But the $2.50 question is, will the Panthers back it up three games running? My guess is Penrith will simply approach this game in the exact same manner as the Storm game. I don't think not even Bennett can coach against that.

May the best side....win?
You do realise the Storm lost Welch and Cheese in the first 20mins and that they only completed at around 55percent in the first half? That was the worst the Storm have played in a big game for years too.

We also have a fire in the belly look what we are playing for and how driven Souths have been. The Storm threw nothing at you in attack today too we will pose more questions than that.

Luai looked so wobbly on his feet today he shouldn’t have been allowed to return.

You just played in 28 degree weather in high humidity and didn’t have the week off. We were hoping for a bruising game and that’s what happened. TPJ and JFH are playing with busted knees, Kikau looks busted as did Cleary and Edwards. I think us being fresher from the week off puts us in great shape.

Bennett or Ivan I know who I have full faith in!

I feel we will defend well I know we can and if we do we have enough points in us.

I would be concerned re only scoring 10, 8 and 10 so far this finals series and most of those tries have come off kicks. Your inability the last month to score points would be of high concern to me.

Our right side D will be fine Reyno gets a good 9 days rest.

Fitter please they haven’t had the week off we did today Penrith looked very wounded TPJ, JFH, To’o, Edwards and Cleary and they used so much petrol to beat the Storm.

Go back to your Roosters corner and remember you are and always will be FOREVERINOURSHADOW!!
Reynolds may channel Langlands with the groin injury - Penrith get 8 days off and wont be doing much training one would say - a couple of light sessions.

They didn't look low on petrol from the Parramatta game when playing Storm so one figures that will be the same for the Souths game.

One comp in 50 years your a ever decreasing in size figure in the Chooks rear vision mirror - have to rely on historical newspaper reports of former glories if these still exist.

Bit like Roman ruins you know the Romans where there but of course no one is around that would remember those times.

guyver78

Juniors
Will be an awesome game, I just cannot see how Nathan Clearly plays next week for that dangerous throw if they’re going to be consistent with the judiciary charges..

BotanyBorn&Bred

Juniors
Will be an awesome game, I just cannot see how Nathan Clearly plays next week for that dangerous throw if they’re going to be consistent with the judiciary charges..
NRL headquarters would look like the Capitol building in Washington on Jan 6 if the Chin was suspended. Forget about it, it's just not going to happen.

Anyway, he can be taken out on the field.

Last edited:

Botany Rabbit

Juniors
I thinks Souths could well have played their grand final and Penrith will have memories of last year which will inspire them to go one better.

Penrith by 12
Melbourne played the worst game I have ever seen them play. Penrith weren’t that good. Melbourne we’re absolutely crap!
aslong as we defend the kicks we will win. They can’t score any other way.

big hit!

Bench
Penrith entitled to be favourites, IMO.

Souths got a jump on them in both Rd 23 and the Qualifying Final. The ledger is 1-1.

The Dubbo drubbing doesn't have any bearing on the GF. 1. It was so long ago now, and 2. Souths' defensive structure has changed from a passive let them come to us (so common for all Bennett-coached sides over the years) style, to an aggressive, fast in their face approach now. Bennett's realised the game has moved on. Halves and OB's these days need less time to do what they do, such is the athleticism and skill of players today. Penrith have defended that way all season, and Bennett has adapted and incorporated this system.

GongPanther

Referee
You do realise the Storm lost Welch and Cheese in the first 20mins and that they only completed at around 55percent in the first half? That was the worst the Storm have played in a big game for years too.

We also have a fire in the belly look what we are playing for and how driven Souths have been. The Storm threw nothing at you in attack today too we will pose more questions than that.

Luai looked so wobbly on his feet today he shouldn’t have been allowed to return.

You just played in 28 degree weather in high humidity and didn’t have the week off. We were hoping for a bruising game and that’s what happened. TPJ and JFH are playing with busted knees, Kikau looks busted as did Cleary and Edwards. I think us being fresher from the week off puts us in great shape.

Bennett or Ivan I know who I have full faith in!

I feel we will defend well I know we can and if we do we have enough points in us.

I would be concerned re only scoring 10, 8 and 10 so far this finals series and most of those tries have come off kicks. Your inability the last month to score points would be of high concern to me.
Survival of the fittest. Not our fault Mel couldn't cope against our brutal defense. Last time we played Souths, we looked way underdone...no energy at all. We have now turned that all around.

BTW, isn't it great our clubs are in the GF...should be a week to remember. Cleary is free to play, so there is a relief for us. Cant believe he was put on report for that.

GongPanther

Referee
NRL headquarters would like the Capitol building in Washington on Jan 6 if the Chin was suspended. Forget about it, it's just not going to happen.

Anyway, he can be taken out on the field.
And risk getting a player sent off in a GF is not a wise move. I'm sure Bennett has a game plan for the Panthers, but a dirty one isn't in his DNA. And besides, hurting a Panther would only make us all the more angrier.

big hit!

Bench
Souths right side defence is a worry.
Perhaps. Paulo can be exposed.

Shuster has the quickest hands in rugby league, and this was responsible for the first two tries. The third one was a scrum where Graham and Paulo didn't communicate at all. They weren't even on. Already looking towards next week.

Mr Spock!

Referee
Perhaps. Paulo can be exposed.

Shuster has the quickest hands in rugby league, and this was responsible for the first two tries. The third one was a scrum where Graham and Paulo didn't communicate at all. They weren't even on. Already looking towards next week.
Don't forget Manly's non-try in the first half.

And Manly only had 30% of the ball.

big hit!

Bench
Don't forget Manly's non-try in the first half.

And Manly only had 30% of the ball.

Have to remember that Bennett has swapped Keon to the left now he's selecting Su'A as the second edge forward. Su'A has been 4-man on the right.

The first Suli try came with Benji as 3-man on the right. He's a worry if Reynolds can't go on as his edge defence is suspect. At least in the middle, Benji is supported by a couple of big middles and possibly an edge - one of Keon/Su'A/Host depending on what side of the middle he's defending and which edge is on at that time.

Generally, if Souths edge defence are passive and hanging, they'll hesitate and that's when they can get into trouble. The adjustment to the fast line speed and aggressive approach gives the opposition less time, space and options, and the defensive player doesn't have to think too much either. That's why it's worked for the most part.

Latest posts