What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Grand Final - Panthers vs Rabbitohs: Sunday 3rd October 7:30pm @Suncorp Stadium

Rabbits20

Immortal
Thanks South Sydney for a brutal hard fought game. You blokes were brave.
Well I’m gutted yes but also very very proud of the boys. They gave it everything that they had and then some and kept hanging in with some of the gutsiest defence defending our try line that I have seen. There was only a tiny bit in it this or that here or there but it was ultimately the kicking game of Cleary that got them home.

It wasn’t the fairytale we were after but I couldn’t be more proud making the Grand Final, 14 teams didn’t get this far and it wasn’t a flogging only 2 points in it.

It’s now the end of an era with Reyno, Gagai, Su’a and Wayne etc moving on and now into a bit of a rebuild but we have some great young talent so the future still looks bright.

I will miss Reyno the most but he’s given us so so many great memories that I will never forget. I can only wish him the best of luck from here, he will always be a Rabbitoh!

Overall it has still been a brilliant season.

Enjoy and celebrate it all mate you guys deserve it so soak it all up.

Very committed performance tonight - extremely proud of the effort !!

Wayne said it himself last year when we were knocked out and it came home to bite us again tonight - we have our struggles at the back under the high ball !

Cleary just kicked us out of the game….
I think the difficulty was in the early
meters. 3 tackles wasted, a similar pattern of play. Not enough variation. The scene changes when you are in the attacking zone.

Cody missed the read for a set play and Renno missed a kick he nails 90% of the time. The two point fg was a good idea but a bit short.

Pressure on Clearly lacking and something I noticed, the usual energy boost at the end of the first half and start of the second ( a bennett signature) was missing.

People say it was a brave effort, but in reality, I didn’t think you were at your best tonight.

Without the Souths self-inflicted errors, you may have won against a formidable defence.

That’s probably not a popular view, but that is my impression.

No field position, after 30 minutes in, you’re entitled to mix a few things up. I am waiting for it.They were wearing down…but not at the rate expected.

A credit to the Panther player recovery/ preparation staff. They should have been up on the podium too!

Last edited:

BotanyBorn&Bred

Juniors
I think the difficulty was in the early
meters. 3 tackles wasted, a similar pattern of play. Not enough variation. The scene changes when you are in the attacking zone.

Cody missed the read for a set play and Renno missed a kick he nails 90% of the time. The two point fg was a good idea but a bit short.

Pressure on Clearly lacking and something I noticed, the usual energy boost at the end of the first half and start of the second was missing.

People say it was a brave effort, but in reality, I didn’t think you were at your best tonight.

Without the Souths self inflicted errors, you may have won against a formidable defence.

That’s probably not a popular view, but that is my impression.
I agree with this too.

I thought Souths played too conservatively bringing the ball out from their own half, especially in the 2nd half with the game tied at 8. They were using 4 tackles each set just for a one out pass from dummy half stuff, which Penrith was eating up. This was very draining for our crew. It was very predictable, and allowed Penrith to set their D up with good line speed because they weren't being shifted, and then having to retreat quickly.

Ironically the intercept came from moving the ball with multiple passes from within our own territory, but then again, so did the try to bring the game back to 14-12.

In the end, the difference between the two sides was a missed conversion. Real cruel way for Adam to bow out, given his history of tying or winning Souths games with pressure kicks

Last edited:
I f**king love Isaac Luke. Now that Korosiau has another premiership, it'd be beautiful if he gave his 2014 ring to Bully. Luke definitely deserves it.
Well I’m gutted yes but also very very proud of the boys. They gave it everything that they had and then some and kept hanging in with some of the gutsiest defence defending our try line that I have seen. There was only a tiny bit in it this or that here or there but it was ultimately the kicking game of Cleary that got them home.

It wasn’t the fairytale we were after but I couldn’t be more proud making the Grand Final, 14 teams didn’t get this far and it wasn’t a flogging only 2 points in it.

It’s now the end of an era with Reyno, Gagai, Su’a and Wayne etc moving on and now into a bit of a rebuild but we have some great young talent so the future still looks bright.

I will miss Reyno the most but he’s given us so so many great memories that I will never forget. I can only wish him the best of luck from here, he will always be a Rabbitoh!

Overall it has still been a brilliant season.

Enjoy and celebrate it all mate you guys deserve it so soak it all up.
Being a result driven business only the premiers have a successful season each year - So in Souths losing they join the other 14 in an unsuccessful season
I agree with this too.

I thought Souths played too conservatively bringing the ball out from their own half, especially in the 2nd half with the game tied at 8. They were using 4 tackles each set just for a one out pass from dummy half stuff, which Penrith was eating up. This was very draining for our crew. It was very predictable, and allowed Penrith to set their D up with good line speed because they weren't being shifted, and then having to retreat quickly.

Ironically the intercept came from moving the ball with multiple passes from within our own territory, but then again, so did the try to bring the game back to 14-12.

In the end, the difference between the two sides was a missed conversion. Real cruel way for Adam to bow out, given his history of tying or winning Souths games with pressure kicks
To beat Penrith and Storm you need to move the ball plus kick early and long - your defence can waste a few of their tackles before their forwards get back on side - Also if you do kick early their wingers and full back drop back so you can then run the ball.

If your doing one off hit ups it will just play into their hands as they want you to do that and they will set their defence for it.

I thought Penrith's attack was clunky and has been post SOO and with their field position and possession they should have run in 2 or 3 more tries

Completions rates - Penrith 34/41 - Souths 32/43

Missed Tackles - Penrith - 61 - Souths - 22

That’s
I agree with this too.

I thought Souths played too conservatively bringing the ball out from their own half, especially in the 2nd half with the game tied at 8. They were using 4 tackles each set just for a one out pass from dummy half stuff, which Penrith was eating up. This was very draining for our crew.

In the end, the difference was a missed conversion. Real cruel way for Adam to bow out, given his history of tying or winning Souths games with pressure kicks
I’m really glad you saw it too.

Makes it harder in a way as your side is fundamentally more creative and powerful than what we saw.

If your life depended on an nrl kicker to boot that over, you’d pick Renno. I still would choose him after that.

It was only a brave performance if you should never have won, but I don’t think that’s quite applicable. A mm of rubber on Rennos boot to draw and win in extra time.

Cody passing to the right player, taking the tackle, slipping over or even knocking on could have won you the game.

I hope more people see it like us. I think it’s a better and more constructive take.

People will be well intended and that’s nice, but underneath, I am not totally convinced they were really the better side in terms of domination. You gifted them game winning events.

This chore up the middle for the early attack, was very flat strategy. There were only glimpses of value in it in the second half, but no traction.

I was like you waiting for a change in this strategic direction, waiting, waiting….

Last edited:

Munky

Coach
I agree with this too.

I'd never do this normally but given your efforts this week in he Riff forum.

Are you on constant repeatsof New Order's How Does It Feel you troll merkin

I'd never do this normally but given your efforts this week in he Riff forum.

Are you on constant repeatsof New Order's How Does It Feel you troll merkin
You’ve won the gf, just be a good sport and chill my son. Don’t over smug it

Bb&b and I are talking footy.

And he doesn’t care about the forum as much as his does his Souths.

stryker

First Grade
You can’t keep saying that a team was off their game, therefore Penrith snuck home for the win.
Parra, Melbourne and Souths are all attack focused clubs. Each were put off their games by smart kicking, swarming defence and great scramble. Each side made more line breaks and looked more likely to score than Penrith, however in the wash up, Penrith prevailed - only having to score 5 tries in total to do so.

Souths were very courageous and had Mitchel played…probably win. That said, Penrith earned this title through sheer old school tough footy. They deserve more respect for what they achieved this past month.

You can’t keep saying that a team was off their game, therefore Penrith snuck home for the win.
Parra, Melbourne and Souths are all attack focused clubs. Each were put off their games by smart kicking, swarming defence and great scramble. Each side made more line breaks and looked more likely to score than Penrith, however in the wash up, Penrith prevailed - only having to score 5 tries in total to do so.

Souths were very courageous and had Mitchel played…probably win. That said, Penrith earned this title through sheer old school tough footy. They deserve more respect for what they achieved this past month.
Did you even watch this game?

Did you see the ho hum repeat one out running wasting 2 or 3 tackles every set?

Did you think Crichton somehow “ spirited” or used “ mind control” to make Cody throw the intercept pass or do you think Cody fluffed it like everyone else?

Do you know what rennos kicking percentage is? How can he miss the greatest pressure kick in the history of the NRL? Its one chance in 1 million.

And what about Campbell running in unnessarily?

Penrith didn’t win the game outright, the bunnies made some uncharacteristic errors and regrettably sealed their own fate.

That’s why this loss is so much harder to take, an emptiness that cant be redeemed until they win their next comp.

Don’t be getting too chummy with smug. You must have had a skinful and the lads on the Wests tigers forum will be furious if I showed them this post. Almost everyone was going for Souths Just as well I’m not a snitch.

Now ffs it’s late, get to sleep and we can argue about it tomorrow on home forum.

Last edited:
As for Mitchell:

CB6EBCE9-358F-43D7-9A62-E45F885905E8.jpeg
old mate here probably needed a good shortening up, but not his whole face broken.

Whether or not Latrell could have changed the gf result is an interesting hypothetical.

Latest posts