What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Grand Final Qualifier - Wigan Warriors 12-13 Leeds Rhinos

deluded pom?

Coach
i listen to 2gb in sydney practically everyday...

You need to get a life 'spud ;-)

trust me fans whinged about the price of tickets for their playoffs...

Aussies love a good whinge, we all know that.

and ok smart arse...you come up with a idea to get fans to attend play off games...

I wish I could 'spud but I just don't think people here in the UK are buying into the playoff concept outside of the GF. Maybe too many people hanker for the first past the post and the old Premiership system. I just don't think cutting prices too low will mean a drastic increase in crowds. You then have to work out if a smaller crowd paying more is more lucrative than a slightly bigger crowd paying less. Strangely, Wigan probably pull in more paying customers to their Big 1 games than they do for the playoff games.

roughyedspud

Coach
It's a catch 22 situation sadly; people complain the game doesn't bring in enough money so by cutting ticket prices, you reduce the revenue streams despite having probably more people in the ground. Tickets are currently £25-ish and £15 respectively (well last night anyway).

8000 paying £20 on average or 16000 paying a £10 on average...16k will eat, drink & spend more than than 8k

so how is it going to reduce revenue streams???

deluded pom?

Coach
8000 paying £20 on average or 16000 paying a £10 on average...16k will eat, drink & spend more than than 8k

so how is it going to reduce revenue streams???

Your figures can't be argued with IF you can guarantee the crowd will double in size but you can't. 8,000 paying £20 or 12,000 paying £10? They need to drink and eat an awful lot more than the 8,000 to make up the shortfall. Anyone can come up with figures to "prove" a point in a hypothetical situation.

deluded pom?

Coach
ok ok...instead of coming up with solutions we'll just sit and effing whinge about it eh?

Now now, do you want your dummy back or will it be going over the side of the pram again? I was just refuting your figures which stack up only IF you can guarantee it will double the crowd but you can't so your figures become irrelevant. Dropping the price of tickets is always the easy option anyway. As I said I don't have the answer but maybe the RFL/SLE need to canvass fans of playoff teams as to why they aren't attending. It just can't simply be season ticket holders who are too greedy to pay for the big games. I can't believe that so many people think like that. It's too simplistic for me. Is it a combination of playoff apathy/money/TV coverage?

geordiesaint

Juniors
It just can't simply be season ticket holders who are too greedy to pay for the big games. I can't believe that so many people think like that. It's too simplistic for me. Is it a combination of playoff apathy/money/TV coverage?

I've heard a lot of people saying the tickets are too expensive rather the playoff apathy. Yep, some people don't like the current structure of the playoffs i.e. 8 teams rather than 5/6, but not about the games themselves. I really think English RL fans don't like dipping their hands in their pockets for extra games.

It has been a really good play off series so far in my opinion. Yes, Wigan vs Catalans and Hull vs Huddersfield but all the games have been really good, hard, intense matches for mine.

WireMan

Bench
well no...cos our championship was decided by play offs since before the aussies where playing the game lol

iirc we had play offs between 1904-5 to the mid 70's....then brought them back in 1998 i think.so if people are'nt attending cos they think its a aussie invention then they need a uppercut.

i think the real issue is ticket pricing.....

it needs to be £10 adults & £5 kids or if your a season ticket holder £8 adults & kids free

When we had playoffs to decide the comp, there was one giant league and not every team played everyone else twice.

Sky brought them back into a system that had a league system known and liked in the Uk because it makes them money.

If we want playoffs we need to follow the NFL route and have small regional leagues. Then we all get together for the playoffs and super bowl type jobby.

fanatique

Juniors
Your figures can't be argued with IF you can guarantee the crowd will double in size but you can't. 8,000 paying £20 or 12,000 paying £10? They need to drink and eat an awful lot more than the 8,000 to make up the shortfall. Anyone can come up with figures to "prove" a point in a hypothetical situation.

I basically agree with you. Let's assume a £25 entry is cut to £20. Now that is a 20% reduction. That's a lot.

Do people really change their matchgoing habits because of £5 reduction? Perhaps a couple of hundred do but would thousands? Not in my oninion.

Both Prelims drew between 12 and 13K. I believe that tickets at say £15 would not have seen attendances much in excess of 15,000

nadera78

Juniors
I always find it hard to understand why, having bought a season ticket and attended every home game during the season, fans then decide not to bother going to the play-off games. It's the most important part of the season! Makes no sense to me whatsoever.

Latest posts