What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Grand Final to celebrate Australian music

El Diablo

Post Whore
http://www.nrl.com/NewsViews/LatestNews/NewsArticle/tabid/10874/newsId/60417/Default.aspx

Grand Final to celebrate Australian music

NRL Sun, 26 Sep 2010 20:06:00

The NRL Telstra Premiership Grand Final will celebrate Australian music like never before as Rugby League continues to showcase some of the country’s most popular musical artists alongside one of the most anticipated and exciting sporting events of the year.

Legendary Australian rock band You Am I will headline the pre-game show at next Sunday’s Telstra Premiership Grand Final, which will also feature Jessica Mauboy, Australian dance act Justice Crew, an ensemble of the Sydney Children's Choir, the Gondwana National Indigenous Children's Choir and the Glebe Public School Choir, a tribute to the NRL’s retiring players and Telstra Child Flight and Blackhawk helicopters.

“The Telstra Premiership Grand Final has always been an incredible stage for showcasing the best in Australian music,” NRL Chief Executive, Mr David Gallop, said.

“Fans will be entertained by an exciting line-up that includes some of the country’s favourite artists, a magnificent children’s choir and original dance performances.

“There’s also a chance for fans to farewell the game’s retiring players and, of course, watch the thrill of the Telstra Child Flight and Blackhawk helicopters arriving into the stadium.

“I would encourage members and fans to get the last of the Telstra Premiership Grand Final tickets when they go on sale this week as it’s going to be a great day and one that caps off an exciting week of Grand Final events.”

Ahead of the release of their new self-titled album on October 8 and a national tour in October and November, You Am I took inspiration for their Grand Final Day routine from a recent sell-out performance of The Rolling Stones classic album, Exile in Main Street.

They will be joined on stage by guest vocalists Dan Sultan and Grinspoon’s Phil Jamieson who will join lead vocalist and guitarist, Tim Rogers, to perform The Rolling Stones classics ‘Brown Sugar’ and a stirring rendition of ‘Start Me Up’ respectively.

The You Am I super-group will also feature ex-Jet Stevie Hesketh on keyboards, ex-Hunters & Collectors Jack Howard on brass, John Farnham Band and ex-Rolling Stones backing vocalist Vanetta Fields and rising backing vocalist Lanie Lane.

"We're excited to be part of such a premier event – we’re honoured,” Tim Rogers said.

“It's a great way for us to kick off a tour and play with some good friends in Phil and Dan."

From rock to pop, R&B singer/songwriter Jessica Mauboy and Australian dance troupe Justice Crew will treat Rugby League fans to a fusion of pop vocal and jaw-dropping dance moves.

Jessica Mauboy will take to the stage to debut her new hit single ‘Get ‘Em Girls’ from her upcoming album to be released by Sony Music Australia on November 5.

‘Get ‘Em Girls’ was recorded with US rap superstar Snoop Dogg and Jessica only recently returned from Los Angeles where she filmed the video with Snoop and acclaimed director, Hype Williams. She will be joined by Australian dance act Justice Crew in the first TV performance of the song.

Justice Crew will also perform their debut single, ‘And Then We Dance’, accompanied by 300 performers from the Justice Academy. Justice Crew first wowed Australian audiences with their phenomenal dance moves and even bigger hearts when they appeared on the 2010 series of Australia’s Got Talent.

Taking out the title, the group chose to use their funds to kick start the Justice Academy, a program offering free dance lessons to under-privileged children, which will feature in a full length DVD, also titled ‘And Then We Dance’, which goes behind the scenes and into the lives of Justice Crew. The DVD will be released by Sony Music Australia on October 8.

Jessica Mauboy will also sing the National Anthem and will be joined by an 80-strong children’s choir featuring members of the Sydney Children's Choir, the Gondwana National Indigenous Children's Choir and the Glebe Public School Choir – directed by Gondwana Choirs Artistic Director & Founder Lyn Williams and conducted on Grand Final Day by Dan Walker.

The choir will also perform a tribute song, ‘Do I Make You Proud’, to the game’s retiring and departing stars who will take part in a final lap of honour, giving fans the chance to say thank you and farewell.

In addition to the array of musical performers, the capacity crowd will watch the Telstra Child Flight helicopter deliver the Telstra Premiership Trophy to ANZ Stadium.

The honour of delivering the Trophy has been given to two special members of the Rugby League community – the 2010 Telstra Ken Stephen Medal winner and 2010 Toyota Volunteer of the Year, both of whom will be announced tomorrow night at the annual One Community Awards.

The Telstra Premiership Grand Final will also feature the traditional arrival of a Blackhawk helicopter from the 6th Aviation Regiment.

Other features of the day include:

- Telstra Ring Bearers – 17 junior players from the Under 7’s Villages United Wildcats from Perthville, Central West NSW, who will present the winning team with their Telstra Premiership Grand Final rings. The team only formed this year and is the first ever junior team from the Villages United Club.

- Holiday Inn Under 16’s Relay Final – a long-standing tradition in the Finals Series and Grand Final.

- KENO ‘Kick for Cash’ – where two fans will be given the chance to win $100,000 each with a successful goal from the 50m line.

- Presentation of Toyota Corollas to the first and second prize winners of the Toyota Monster Raffle, which has raised more than $640,000 for junior Rugby League clubs.

- Presentation of the Jetstar Club Championship trophy to the New Zealand Warriors.

Last edited:

Loudstrat

Coach
Everyone knows they should be doing a tribute to Ronnie James Dio - the greatest singer never to play for Australia.

You am I - Meh. Better than some Rap dickhead I guess.

Eels Dude

Coach
You Am I and Jessica Mauboy, you could see them at a pub these days for 20 bucks a ticket if that. Can't the NRL do any better when it comes to grand final performers?

Danish

Referee
I could care less who is playing before hand...

In fact i'd rather they scrapped them all and just kicked off an hour earlier.

Eels Dude

Coach
Well who would you have then?

Anyone better than a mediocre rock band who had one or two hit songs a decade ago and that's it, and an Australian Idol winner who was forgotten about a few weeks after that years' series ended. Meh.

simmo1

First Grade
You Am I and a Dragons game on the same day? Gunna need a double dose of No-Doz...

adamkungl

Immortal
Not at the moment, they go home for a few weeks in between blocks of gigs.

The NRL should have tried everything get them though since they are on the Australian leg anyway.

They're currently in Japan...I assume they planned their tour long before the NRL planned their mediocre GF entertainment. Ah well.

Saint 60

Juniors
any music is Chook dying music...they dont care what they play at their funeral..funnily nuff neither do i :)

lol

1 Eyed TEZZA

Coach
You Am I and Jessica Mauboy, you could see them at a pub these days for 20 bucks a ticket if that. Can't the NRL do any better when it comes to grand final performers?

$20 hahaha please. My nephew is in a band, and because the lead singer came runner up in an Australian Idol, they earn up to $10'000 a gig.

Gotta find someone cheap but everyone will like......yeah, not gonna happen. Just live with it, they have a name that is recognised around the country and isn't going to charge a mint.

RugbyHighlights

Juniors
Never heard of any of them. I assume they're typical popular musicians... Ie, sh*t.

It's a dickhead move anyway.

They should have got a Yank band. Audioslave or something.

So we celebrate Australian music by having You Am I doing a couple of Rolling Stones songs? Plus an Aus Idol 5 minutes of famer doing some generic pop song. Wow, I bet it took longer to write the media release than to actually think about what would make a decent celebration of Australian music.

bobmar28

Bench

Jessica Mauboy and Justice Crew, you can't imagine the huge following they have among teenagers, especially in western Sydney (I have teenage children). And that's who the NRL should be targeting as future fans of the game. I think it is perfect.
Personally I would like to see the Rolling Stones singing 'Start me up' but You am I covering that song will do.

Last edited:

user_nat

Coach
You are never going to be able to please everyone with the entertainment.

I wouldn't particularly care if they had Metallica for example.

In fact I couldn't care less about the whole pre game entertainment. Seems like it only exists to stretch out the TV ratings some more, unless people at the ground actually enjoy having to wait longer for the GF.