What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Grant Mayer

gong_eagle

First Grade
MANLY chief executive Grant Mayer has helped the Sea Eagles to this year's NRL premiership and now secured a major sponsorship deal worth nearly $1 million a season.

"So he won't be getting punted," stressed Manly chairman and co-owner Scott Penn.

Penn's comments come amid speculation over Mayer's future at Brookvale.

The Sunday Telegraph reported that Manly co-owner Max Delmege was gunning for Mayer, despite the club still celebrating its 40-0 grand final win over Melbourne.

Delmege has publicly denied he wants Mayer sacked and any plan to oust the CEO would fail, according to Penn.

Asked does Mayer have his support, Penn said: "Totally. He has done a great job.

"If other people have ideas, I'd like to hear from them.

"But from the Penn family's perspective, Grant is here to stay.

"We have a wonderful CEO and a wonderful coach in Des Hasler.

"They would have to do themselves out of a job. They won't be getting punted."

Manly's financial position is sound with Mayer also working through the club's massive plans for the future.

"Grant came here a few years ago with a firm plan to get our off-field affairs in order and we are doing that," Penn said.

"We have a three year plan which includes the redevelopment of Brookvale Oval and the Manly Leagues Club.

"Grant has a huge role to play in those plans.

"I have spoken to Max at length and he has no idea where the rumours are coming from."

On 2KY's sports show yesterday, hosted by senior Manly official Peter Peters, Delmege rejected the rumours and threw his support behind Mayer.

"I'd like him in the job for another five or ten years," Delmege said.

"He has done a great job.

"Grant has secured a major sponsor which has allowed me to hop out after seven years.

"Why would we want to change anything?"

Mayer was yesterday relieved the drama surrounding his future had been settled.

"I have enjoyed my time at Manly. I have no plans to go anywhere," Mayer said.

"It's nice to know I have the support of the owners."

Mayer will this Thursday reveal the club's new major sponsor.

Manly did not obtain the $1 million a season it sought but the deal is worth $900,000 a year - huge money in the current economic crisis.

--------------------------------------------------------------------
Admin
Manly-Warringah Sea Eagles Limited

http://www.manlyseaeagles.com.au/message-board-detail.asp?mbid=116959&s=0

t-ba

Post Whore
900k per season?

Not too shabby. Certainly a far cry from five years ago.

CHRIS SANDOW

Juniors
Hmm its more bout how much delmege and penn put in each year, even with that sponsorship they still lose money each year.

C u next time

Juniors
Hmm its more bout how much delmege and penn put in each year, even with that sponsorship they still lose money each year.
ok just a few facts to add some balance to this argument
in 2007 manlys loss was less than $2000 in fact they would have made a small profit had it not been for a taxtion debt from 2003 that they paid off.
I think you will find that they will be one of the few teams in the NRL who will actually do better than breaking even in 2008 as you would expect the premiers too.

Latest posts