What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Grant Wooden

Johns Magic

Referee
I hear that the Knights are chasing this guy. From what I gather he is a prop at Wynnum, but I was wondering what you guys thought of him. How old is he? Is he one of the better props in the QRL? Is he an enforcer? Is he a workhorse? Is he very big?

Anyhelp would be greatly appreciated.

XXXX Cap

Juniors
Grant Wooden came to Wynnum this year after being cut by Manly. He has been one of the form props of the Queensland Cup and played for Qld in the Residents match against NSW.

Wooden is a giant, know as "Squasher", and has proven to be a real workhorse for the Gulls. He takes a stack of hit-ups each game and hits hard in defence. Probably averages 60+ minutes of game time each week.

I wouldn't call him an enforcer but he certainly doesn't run away from the tough stuff - an old style prop somewhat like Shane Webcke in that way but not in the same class.

My gut feeling is that he is probably a bit slow and lumbering for NRL and that is why he hasn't made it in the past - he's now about 25 or so. Ideally from Wynnum's point of view, they would like to have him for the next four or five years. He's an ideal mainstay in a Queensland Cup pack.

Johns Magic

Referee
Thanks mate. Hopefully(for us) he does sign. A QRL prop would be a great signing. There'd be little to lose money-wise, but he could turn out great. Just look at Tronc for the Cowboys!

XXXX Cap

Juniors
Tronc was a young up-and-comer, always likely to make it. Wooden has already had a try and hasn't made it.

mud n blood

Juniors
what I like about Squasher is his work-ethic during games. He is also a bloke I think you could build a pack around.

Seagullsrock

Juniors
So you take our best back last year, in Seage, and now you want our best forward this year. You're like Apu on the Simpsons. " Thankyou, please come again".

Johns Magic

Referee
Seagullsrock said:
So you take our best back last year, in Seage, and now you want our best forward this year. You're like Apu on the Simpsons. " Thankyou, please come again".

Well many of these players have hopes of and are talented enough to play for a team of a higher standard than Wynnum. Newcastle is giving them these opportunities.

No offence, but I think that the NRL is a little more important than Wynnum. :roll:

# 8

Juniors
Johns Magic said:
No offence, but I think that the NRL is a little more important than Wynnum. :roll:
For you it might be, but for Queenslander, Wynnum and all the Qld Cup sides are more important.

Sydney Carton

Juniors
Johns Magic said:
Seagullsrock said:

Well many of these players have hopes of and are talented enough to play for a team of a higher standard than Wynnum. Newcastle is giving them these opportunities.

For a second there I almost thought you weren't a typical NSW/NRL centric wanker..... :roll:

# 8

Juniors
Stewbum said:
Johns Magic said:
Seagullsrock said:

For a second there I almost thought you weren't a typical NSW/NRL centric wanker..... :roll:
Anti Sydney...Yes Johns Magic is one of them.

XXXX Cap

Juniors
If I thought a player like Grant Wooden would end up playing NRL, I would have no problem. I was delighted to see David Seage go to the next level.

The trouble is that many of the good Queensland Cup players who go south end up playing in competitions inferior to the Qld Cup because they aren't quite up to NRL level. They're then lost to the Qld Cup teams without any real benefit to the player.

I feel Grant Wooden would end up in that situation.

Johns Magic

Referee
Lol, grow up. I didn't come here to start a fight.

I'm sure playing NRL would be higher on a players list of priorities than playing QRL. I'm in no way having a go at the QRL. I watch a few televised matches now and again, and quite enjoy it. But the NRL unarguably is a superior competition to the QRL in regards to the standard. The best QRL players get to play NRL if they are good enough.

I support a union club team in Easts, but when our best players are chosen to play in the Super 12, I am happy for them. It is unfortunate that you will be losing their talents but they are furthering their careers and getting opportunities to fulfil their dreams. I am also proud to be able to say to other people that they came from my club. I certainly don't accuse the Waratahs of 'stealing' them from us. I am happy that they have recognised the players talents and are giving them opportunities that we could not give them.

You guys should be happy that Grant may be able to further his career.
XXXX Cap is the only one who has made an educated response.

Biglance

Bench
i want to go to a qld cup game except for the thousands of kilometres then back to the caxton