What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Great Bassists Discussion Thread

Mr. Fahrenheit

Referee
There was a bit of discussion in the vocalists thread, perhaps a seperate thread would stimulate more conversation/youtube vids etc.

To kick us off, i nom Les Claypool;

Here is his cover of the intro of Master of Puppets (from Metallica), something which i'm personally workin on at this stage, but it sounds awesome done in Claypool's style.

Watch

GC_Gladiator

Juniors
You play bass then too fahrenheit? You'll have to shoot through some recordings or a link. I'll do the same in a week or so when we've done a bit of recording.

I have never understood the whole claypool thing. I haven't been really able to sit through and listen to his primus stuff more than once. His songs are just a muddle.

I like bassists who can do more than just solo, make things tasteful but are still busy. Guys like Pino Palladino (John Mayer Trio) and the guy who played on his first studio album.

Also I like the work of the guy from Karnivool. Very busy for the genre but not overwhelming.

For pure technicality victor wooten is probably a clear winner in my books. Just listen to classical thump if anyone hasn't herd it. Uses a couple of different technics including slap, double thumbing (which is a little twist on regular slap), and a bit of two handed tapping within it. Its also a decent composition ie: you can listen to it more than once without getting bored.

GC_Gladiator

Juniors
I always loved his solo in Maxwell murder! Also journey to the end of east bay?? has a nice flow to it. I also used to love Fat Mike, but he doesnt hold a candle to freeman. I might have to dig out that old copy of Split (rancid doing nofx and vice versa), Freeman always put a nice line in.

Mr. Fahrenheit

Referee
You play bass then too fahrenheit? You'll have to shoot through some recordings or a link. I'll do the same in a week or so when we've done a bit of recording.

I have never understood the whole claypool thing. I haven't been really able to sit through and listen to his primus stuff more than once. His songs are just a muddle.

I like bassists who can do more than just solo, make things tasteful but are still busy. Guys like Pino Palladino (John Mayer Trio) and the guy who played on his first studio album.

Also I like the work of the guy from Karnivool. Very busy for the genre but not overwhelming.

For pure technicality victor wooten is probably a clear winner in my books. Just listen to classical thump if anyone hasn't herd it. Uses a couple of different technics including slap, double thumbing (which is a little twist on regular slap), and a bit of two handed tapping within it. Its also a decent composition ie: you can listen to it more than once without getting bored.

Yeah mate, well i'm very much a bassist in his infancy, as i've just been self teaching for a few months... However i have to say i disagree with your assessment of claypool, sure he can solo, but a lot of the Primus stuff have great all round composition (One criticism could be that its bass heavy - but thats not a criticism in my book, another can be the lyrics...) Its very catchy stuff mate, listen to the 'Frizzle Fry' album... upbeat and technically amazing. If you can, download C2B3 (Colonel Claypool's Bucket of Bernie Brains) thats Buckethead with Claypool.

Vic Wooten is a great solo technician, but i will always value one who can hold his own in a band dynamic more... the double thumb is amazing for sure, and he comes up with so many techniques himself. Doesn't bore me at all either. Check out some Jaco Pastorius mate, you might like it...

GC_Gladiator

Juniors
Vic Wooten is a great solo technician, but i will always value one who can hold his own in a band dynamic more... the double thumb is amazing for sure, and he comes up with so many techniques himself. Doesn't bore me at all either. Check out some Jaco Pastorius mate, you might like it...
You might like to check out Bela and the fleck tones for Victor in a group situation. I've heard plenty of Jaco and spent a couple of weeks a few years back just trying to get portrait of tracey down.

With Les, songs that have always been passed on to me like Wynona's big brown beaver and tommy the cat are just so bizarre that I can't sit and listen to them and enjoy them. He sort of reminds me of Zappa- just bizarre.

I think Geddy Lee and Rush are a perfect example of someone being able to write decent songs but it also being listenable.

Honestly, if you haven't done it already download 'room for squares' by John Mayer and listen to the bass tracks. David LaBruyere plays them. Most of the time i find myself in situations where the bass doesn't drive the songs but must compliment and intertwine with the guitar and vocals. That cd is a perfect example of it for mine.

Last edited:

Mr. Fahrenheit

Referee
You might like to check out Bela and the fleck stones for Victor in a group situation. I've heard plenty of Jaco and spent a couple of weeks a few years back just trying to get portrait of tracey down.

With Les, songs that have always been passed on to me like Wynona's big brown beaver and tommy the cat are just so bizarre that I can't sit and listen to them and enjoy them. He sort of reminds me of Zappa- just bizarre.

I think Geddy Lee and Rush are a perfect example of someone being able to write decent songs but it also being listenable.

Honestly, if you haven't done it already download 'room for squares' by John Mayer and listen to the bass tracks. David LaBruyere plays them. Most of the time i find myself in situations where the bass doesn't drive the songs but must compliment and intertwine with the guitar and vocals. That cd is a perfect example of it for mine.

I dont have the Mayer CD, will look into getting it. Geddy Lee and Rush is one example, Burton and Metallica is another... i know what you mean. Tommy the Cat is heavily reliant on the bass solo, so i can see where you got your Claypool perception from, but even then thats definately listenable to me. I totally agree with you where sometimes the non-bass driven songs/music play out so much better, but i'm just suggesting that the likes of Claypool etc or like Justin Chancellor with Tool are still listenable and should be appreciated for its worth, but thats just MO.

Anyway, i'm about to check out Bela and the Fleck stones.

ledzep

Bench
My favourites:
Cliff Burton - check out Orion if you haven't heard it before, amazing song
John Paul Jones
Geezer Butler

Mr. Fahrenheit

Referee
My favourites:
Cliff Burton - check out Orion if you haven't heard it before, amazing song
John Paul Jones
Geezer Butler

Go to 6:36 in orion, bass and guitar solos melding in and out - awesome.

JPJ imo was a great musician and multi-instrumentalist, but as a bassist i wouldn't say he is up there with others mentioned in this thread. I like Geezer as well.

Latest posts