What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Great Britain RL is crap!!!

balmainbenny

Juniors
I can't believe how people keep on rating the poms.

People keep on overrating the abilty of players in this very average football team. League fans like to pump up these weak-willed men for some reason. The Poms like to talk themselves up as well, only to fall flat on their faces.

The fact is, they will NEVER be good enough to beat Australia. The ESL competition is vastly inferior to the NRL, therefore our players are much better.

If I had a dollar for every pom player who said they'd like to play in the nrl, I'd be a rich man. Kudos to Morley, Carney and Thorman for doing so, but they are in the vast minority. Half of those blokes would be snapped in half in the nrl and the other half would be just average first graders. Out of the current crop, only Fieldon has the potential to be a star in the nrl

I remember when Andy Farrell was talking about playing here. I knew that pussy would never take up the weekly grind here.

LeagueXIII

First Grade
International league is over 100 years old, for the first 60 years the Great Britain team was heaps better than us, let's thank god that there weren't people with such negative attitudes around when we were getting our butts kicked by them.

SalfordRedsWA

Juniors
balmainbenny said:

People keep on overrating the abilty of players in this very average football team. League fans like to pump up these weak-willed men for some reason. The Poms like to talk themselves up as well, only to fall flat on their faces.

The fact is, they will NEVER be good enough to beat Australia. The ESL competition is vastly inferior to the NRL, therefore our players are much better.

If I had a dollar for every pom player who said they'd like to play in the nrl, I'd be a rich man. Kudos to Morley, Carney and Thorman for doing so, but they are in the vast minority. Half of those blokes would be snapped in half in the nrl and the other half would be just average first graders. Out of the current crop, only Fieldon has the potential to be a star in the nrl

I remember when Andy Farrell was talking about playing here. I knew that pussy would never take up the weekly grind here.

Another one eyed troll.

screeny

Bench
Hey, Balmain Benny is right!!!

We are utter crap! Noble has to be the main culprit but this GB team is absolutely rubbish. The players are decent enough but we're poorly drilled and clueless. I hope NZ crush us this weekend so we have to get rid of Noble.

Just watched GB v Aus for the second time.
Harris is absolutely pitiful. Four of his passes hit the deck
Sinfield kicks the ball to his centre, along the line - kicks it to his centre!
Harris kicks a pass intended for him straight to Australia, he actually kicks a pass instead of catching it!
Fielden kicks the ball out on the last
Harris is barely involved
Deacon never once takes on the line (he doesn't know how, he's poorly coached)
our set plays are laboured and half hearted, with no threat they'll lead to anything dangerous

A poorly, poorly drilled side, badly coached and badly selected.

Horne and Pryce must be halves, and as much as I respect Wellens HE HAS TO GO as he's just too damned slow. It's not his fault but he's just not quick enough.

Agree with the above, if Pryce not to 6 stick him at 1.
Sinfield is a waste of a jersey, he really, really is so f**king average.

Der Kaiser

Juniors
Super League is an ok comp-but with most teams not competitive and full of kolpak and Aussies with European Passports and things looking likely to remain so then british players wont improve.The Youngsters are suppossed wonder kids-that fail to deliver on the big stage.

GB are coached by somebody who has many of his club team with kiwis or Aussies etc at his disposal (This year Bulls will have Withers, Meyers, Hope, Vainikolo, Henderson, Bai and Mckenna).He maybe a good coach at SL level but International is different.His teams have in my opinion two options at best and he picks reputation rather than people on form.His substitutions going on the last 2 games have been strange as well

The love of alcohol and having a good time is a big problem for young people in Europe and is one factor why many suppossed top younsters dont make it plus as been said so many 2nd rate foreigners playing-mainly due to being cheaper!Rugby league isnt anywhere near as big in the UK as Australia but still theres is millions to choose from compared to Australia.There is no real excuse why GB shouldnt be beating Australia.The top young players should be looking to play in the NRL if they are going to improve-sadly many are only intrested in the money they earn rather than the player they can be

_dan13_

Juniors
Der Kaiser said:
Super League is an ok comp-but with most teams not competitive and full of kolpak and Aussies with European Passports and things looking likely to remain so then british players wont improve.The Youngsters are suppossed wonder kids-that fail to deliver on the big stage.

GB are coached by somebody who has many of his club team with kiwis or Aussies etc at his disposal (This year Bulls will have Withers, Meyers, Hope, Vainikolo, Henderson, Bai and Mckenna).He maybe a good coach at SL level but International is different.His teams have in my opinion two options at best and he picks reputation rather than people on form.His substitutions going on the last 2 games have been strange as well

The love of alcohol and having a good time is a big problem for young people in Europe and is one factor why many suppossed top younsters dont make it plus as been said so many 2nd rate foreigners playing-mainly due to being cheaper!Rugby league isnt anywhere near as big in the UK as Australia but still theres is millions to choose from compared to Australia.There is no real excuse why GB shouldnt be beating Australia.The top young players should be looking to play in the NRL if they are going to improve-sadly many are only intrested in the money they earn rather than the player they can be

i agree, the sl is a great comp but it has too many foreign imports, i think the rfl is going to do something about this though by in your starting 17 you have to have 15 players that are eligible to play for gb. the only problem is is that some of the bigger clubs wont let that happen

balmainbenny said:

I agree.

The Poms have been B.Sing themselves for decades now. People can point to history all they like but in the modern day world where you get to see your opponent and what they are doing every week on TV, you get to fly around the world and everyone can pay for the very best coaching....there is NO excuses for GB.

Misanthrope

Staff member
Wow, nospam49 has found a friend in balmainbenny. Together maybe they can put together a semi-intelligible post. :lol:

Calixte

First Grade
Easy to laugh at this thread in hindsight but as many of us have been saying for some years now - GB have all the ability in the world, just a lack of composure at crucial times has cruelled them for years (dating back to at least 1990...)

thommo4pm

Coach
They seemed to play pretty well for a side that is crap.

Waiting for the excuses of how poor NZ were.

GB were very good today and thoroughly deserved their victory.

They were bad against NZ in their first game, and the point must be stressed it was their first game, then they were better against us last week, and now today they have demolished the kiwis, I would say the gap between the top 3 is getting closer.

Australia are still the best no doubt about it, but the Poms I think may get us next weekend. Only just though. They are now battle hardened and have had 3 straight weeks together, the only problem for them is the injury toll from this morning.

innsaneink

Referee
thommo4pm said:
They seemed to play pretty well for a side that is crap.

Waiting for the excuses of how poor NZ were.

GB were very good today and thoroughly deserved their victory.

They were bad against NZ in their first game, and the point must be stressed it was their first game, then they were better against us last week, and now today they have demolished the kiwis, I would say the gap between the top 3 is getting closer.

Australia are still the best no doubt about it, but the Poms I think may get us next weekend. Only just though. They are now battle hardened and have had 3 straight weeks together, the only problem for them is the injury toll from this morning.

I suppose the Poms forced the Kiwis into 43 missed tackles eh?

carlnz

Bench
southsman said:
Did u watch the game this morning PEANUT....

Great Britain showed NZ what they are made of.

Yeah and that was like the best match the Kiwis have played in the last 10 years!!

GB played very very well, and the Kiwis just went back to the old way missing tackles and doing the most stupied things

ParraDude_Jay

First Grade
GB are hopeless still.

Deacon came alive against a pathetic Kiwi team, I hope he's fit and plays against Australia because he still sucks. Harris was pathetic against a similar NZ side, it's laughable that he plays International RL.

Watch GB fold against Australia, as usual. They were supposed to give us a run for our money in the Tri-Nations final last year aswell, weren't they?

thommo4pm

Coach
innsaneink said:
I suppose the Poms forced the Kiwis into 43 missed tackles eh?

Is that the fault of the Poms?
The Kiwis may well have played crap, but the Poms made them pay and took advantage of it didn't they.

To anybody who knows anything about Rugby League that's the sign of a half decent team.
They could have very easily fell into the trap of playing to the level of the kiwis but they played to the level they wanted too which was superior to the kiwis efforts today.

Great Britain were not flogged by Australia last week...The standard over there is not as good as what it is here in the NRL but the top squad for GB is not too bad.
They don't have the depth of the Kangaroos, but to say that GB Rugby League is crap is ridiculous.

screeny

Bench
I haven't seen the match yet, I have to wait until Tuesday afternoon, but from what I've seen from this GB side I still maintain they're crap and NZ must have been completely disinterested to get so badly beaten up.

So much for McClennan's attitude overhaul. Down to earth with a bump!

Jeffles

Bench
I don't think GB are as bad as people are making out. Some people speak as though every game is Elland Rd 2004.

Of course GB are still well short of the complete team. IMO, their forwards and halves at best can only match it with the Roos. In attack, GB rely on their outside backs (1-5) to give them some advantage - not that they are the best players, it's just that's where their opportunities arise.

In defence they still have a problem bringing down big players up front and they bunch up out back when they are not on the line. I've said often that you are more likely to score against GB from 40m out than you are from 10m out.

Mentally GB still have some demons. They have a habit of letting in late tries (though this could be fitness too). Also, GB have a habit of underperforming in do or die clashes. Their cockiness leading into Elland Rd last year was evdient. A thrashing was not as unexpected as it should have been.

If GB are to make the final and give internationals a real go in seasons to come they have to give themselves every chance. They need to have level heads as well.

Latest posts