What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Great Debate: What Is The Gap Between Basketball And Soccer

Broncos fan

Juniors
This is one of the facts in sport that interests me. The rivalries between sports. In Australia its between AFL and Rugby League. But if you look at the global scene its seems like Basketball is trying to compete with Soccer for its right to be the WORLD GAME. FIFA, soccers governing body has 205 nations, however FIBA actually has more affiliated nations with 214 (or could be more im not sure or less but it does have more than FIFA). However in most countries it is the second most participated sport behind soccer. I would really like to know what is your point of view of this topic and what is the gap between this two superpowers of world sport

Morenito

Juniors
1. Soccer/Football

Daylight second

Football is and always will be the world game. It may have 205 compared to basketballs 214 world associations. But i would say in about 180 or so of those countries football is the number one sport.

The only exceptions that have Basketball ahead of Football i can think are NewZealand and Australia. (Both sports here are low profile). Of course the US and perhaps the Philipines. (As the philipines always just follows the US!)

Panthers_God

Juniors
Soccer is over rated.

1. League
2. Basketball
3. Cricket
4. Golf
5. Union
6. Professional Poker
7. Tennis
8. Soccer

Thats in my books

Manu Vatuvei

Coach
Morenito said:
1. Soccer/Football

Daylight second

Football is and always will be the world game. It may have 205 compared to basketballs 214 world associations. But i would say in about 180 or so of those countries football is the number one sport.

The only exceptions that have Basketball ahead of Football i can think are NewZealand and Australia. (Both sports here are low profile). Of course the US and perhaps the Philipines. (As the philipines always just follows the US!)

You really think soccer is below basketball in NZ and Aus?

I daresay in both countries participation is far greater in soccer. I think the relative success of the NZ and Aus basketball teams is indicative of the relative weakness of international basketball.

edabomb

First Grade
Thierry Henry said:
You really think soccer is below basketball in NZ and Aus?

I daresay in both countries participation is far greater in soccer. I think the relative success of the NZ and Aus basketball teams is indicative of the relative weakness of international basketball.

I reckon it shows that if you get a squad of 10 willing to play hard and hustle you can go far. Soccer is different because you need class, its such a game of inches.

Big Bunny

Juniors
Basketball is more popular in China than soccer. That's 1/4 of the worlds population. It's also more popular than soccer in Greece.

There's no doubt that soccer is the worlds most popular football code and that's down to how relatively simple and inexpensive it is. There's also no question that it has the biggest drop-off rate in participation of any sport when relating junior to senior levels across codes, primarily because a lot of kids don't choose the game, their parents do.

Nothing lasts forever. Give it another century and I'd expect basketball to be a lot closer to soccer in terms of global popularity. I'd also see rugby league overtaking union in popularity even going on its current growth rate.

As for AUS and NZ relating to basketball being weak internationally, well that's a pretty simple view without much to be based on. NZ basketball has only ever beaten Australia on a couple of occasions, they had a fluke season where they pulled 4th in the world, not unlike Australia's run in the 74 soccer world cup. Australia does well in basketball because all of our best players are in elite leagues and are identified at an early age. I'd classify Basketball Australia's development program better than that of Soccer Australia quite easily. The NCAA is also a world class development path for our 150 players in the US.

Manu Vatuvei

Coach
NZ have been very consistent for the last 5 years or so. Definitely in the top-10 in the world. We could never achieve that in soccer.

Broncos fan

Juniors
Big Bunny said:
Basketball is more popular in China than soccer. That's 1/4 of the worlds population. It's also more popular than soccer in Greece.

There's no doubt that soccer is the worlds most popular football code and that's down to how relatively simple and inexpensive it is. There's also no question that it has the biggest drop-off rate in participation of any sport when relating junior to senior levels across codes, primarily because a lot of kids don't choose the game, their parents do.

Nothing lasts forever. Give it another century and I'd expect basketball to be a lot closer to soccer in terms of global popularity. I'd also see rugby league overtaking union in popularity even going on its current growth rate.

As for AUS and NZ relating to basketball being weak internationally, well that's a pretty simple view without much to be based on. NZ basketball has only ever beaten Australia on a couple of occasions, they had a fluke season where they pulled 4th in the world, not unlike Australia's run in the 74 soccer world cup. Australia does well in basketball because all of our best players are in elite leagues and are identified at an early age. I'd classify Basketball Australia's development program better than that of Soccer Australia quite easily. The NCAA is also a world class development path for our 150 players in the US.

You probably didnt watch Euro 2004 when Greece won against Portugal. That was a soccer international tournament and the whole country have gone crazy to the max. Greece has never celebrated like that since the restoration of democracy in Greece in 1974. I have been to Greece and basketball doesnt come close to soccer not by a long shot even though its popular there.Soccer is a league of its own in Greece. If you want proof watch the World News on SBS from mondays-saturdays from 10:30-11:30 am which covers the Greek news segment, and the sport headlines mainly focuses on soccer. When Greece won Euro 2004 the Greek focused itself 100% on their euro campaign, and nothing on other matters. They dedicated 1 hour of the news just on soccer. Remember that all the countries in Europe except for Lithuania, is a football nation.

In China, Yao Ming is probably the second most recognise person after Mao Zedong, but soccer is still ranks as the most popular sports, being the leading spectator and also in terms of participation. In China every city, town and even villages have soccer teams. The 2002 World Cup was the most watched event in the history of Chinese Television!!

Zeb

Juniors
Soccer will always be the world game, just think of all the poor people who can't afford a ball, they have to use coconuts or twine with jungle leaves. IMO It's easier to kick a coconut than it is to bounce it, I've tried.

In the world picture, soccer is of course way ahead. I think the interesting thing is that basketball is second, ahead of say RU which likes to trumpet its international aspect.

Latest posts