What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

great dragon tries

Ronnie Dobbs

Coach
My hero Ricky Walford at Kogarah vs Western Suburbs Magpies in 1989 or 1990 perhaps.

Commentary from Graeme Hughes goes something like this...

"Potter feeds the scrum 5 metres out from his own try line, gives it off to Wade, who passes dangerously to Beattie but they get away with it, now Walford, Walford stepping beautifully, Walford, Farrar last man.
Ricky Walford might've fumbled a few balls in the first half, they're going to go 90 metres under the posts. Oh they're all on the feet here at Kogarah"

Still gives me tingles. I still have that replay on VCR and watch it every so often. We were down 18 nill at half time and eventually won 20-18.

Anyone else remember that one?
Ricky Walford - my idol thus my name too and number plate.

1991. First year under Smith if my memory serves. I was a wee pup.

STG-MACCA

Bench
All those mentioned above are in my list of favourites, especially Mundine V Norths and Bartrim V Raiders in 96 - UNBELIEVABLE!!!

Also recall a great try from Barnhill (I think) after Tallis made a break about 60m out, then Barnhill runs a great angle and Tallis draws the fullback away to the right then switches it inside to Barnhill - Match was at Kogarah, I assume it was 94/95?

Yuly

Juniors
Scott Gourley scored several great tries under Smith and hardly celebrated, a big unit who could run.
Graeme Wynn was another you scored lots of tries.
Ahhh the memories.

Drew-Sta

Staff member
The Williams try is really all Toovey; My gosh he was good in his day.

Has anyone noticed the phenomenal difference in try quality between this vid and the 2009 'Top tries'? I have to say, the older trys were more engaging and better quality. More passing, teamwork etc. The 2009 ones seem all reliant on the individual brilliance, where the older ones were all about building on individual brilliance as the team.

LazyDreamer

Bench
Bloody hell - I came into the thread thinking "Bartrim from dummyhalf vs Raiders" but woulda bet my back teeth it was '95, not '96. Must be the pickled braincells.

Fair dinkum - Dragons win in 1999 and Blacklock's try would be talked about as THE best grand final try of all time, daylight second (Bretnall to Gearin 3rd). For a GF, most courageous attacking of a footy I've seen when every other player would have stood back to check the bounce.

RedVDave

First Grade
I must admit I loved Mat Head's chip n chase on ANZAC day in 2005 with Matt Cooper scoring in the corner and the conversion ...simply awesome.
I know it's not the greatest try of all time but just the emotion of the whole game and the last 3 minutes I will never forget.

My 3 favourite try's this year is Costigan's last ditch effort against souths to set up Gaz on the 5th tackle only 30 metres out from our own tryline.

Ben Creagh's try against Easts and Newcastle were both awesome!

Efresh

Coach
A more recent one was against Brisbane @ Suncorp, Brisbane make a break, Folau kicks ahead Locky picks up 10m out rom our line & throws a loose pass, Sowie picks it up scoots away, hands off to Moz. Moz then puts on one of the best moves i have ever seen @ pace, nice little in and away then hunt has no idea what to do, we score in the corner. Brilliant try.

Been following since the 80s Gf loss to the doggies and that move by BMoz stands out in my mind, BANG. He had no right beating two defenders to score that try and he did it untouched.