What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Great last minute win for Balmain over Parramatta

Bald Tiger

Juniors
Balmain beat Parramatta 40-38 in the Premier League game of the season at Leichhardt on Saturday evening. Parramatta were 2nd in the competition and fielded a very strong side include Hodgson and Solomona. Leading 36-20 thanks to tries from Kelly, Harper (2), Milton and Kmet - the Tigers were overhauled in the second half to trail Parra with less than 2 minutes remaining. The last-play try was all the more astonishing as the Tigers were playing with 11 men against 12 - one Tiger was in the bin and one sent off following an all-in biff. The details of the last minute try are hazy - a cross field kick, an attack down the left, a try in the corner - might have the details wrong - and cant remember who scored. A fantastic team effort by the Tigers. Next week we play Souths at Leichhardt on Saturday afternoon - a win in that game will ensure a top 8 spot.

B_Tiger

Juniors
yes, it was a thrilling match. Balmain should have won more easily but in the end they were very lucky to get the two points. It was a very Balmain like performance (except of course for the miraculous comeback at the end) and hopefully they'll leave that sort of up and down form in the regular season and play at their best in the finals.

And congratulations to all the balmain tigers fan club members getting together for the first of hopefully many meetings. A great night was had by all.

Bald Tiger

Juniors
Yes B_Tiger it was good to me you at the meeting. You made a lot of excellent points.

It was great that for once it was us who scored in the last minute. Who scored by the way?

brook

First Grade
lol sorry bout the non-appearance, I switched sides when noone was there at the start of the game so i could hear the line-up and then i couldn't be bothered going back over lol

i'll be there next week.

If Balmain play like they did for the first 50 minutes we can beat anyone in the comp, as it is we're lucky that some very questionable refereeing fired the boys up to win

Bald Tiger

Juniors
Heard that Robbie Farah should be fit for next week.
Lima is out for the season - had his jaw wired up.
Any news on why Jamie Small did not play?

yappy

Bench
:lol: :lol: :lol: Brilliant!

Go the Tiges. You guys should be sweet now. Anyone hear how the Bunnies went last night? You are set already if they lost. A win next week and you may avoid Canberra first up.

From a purely selfish point of view it's also brilliant for the Maggies. If the Cougars can give it to the Eels next week it means a Wests v Eels first semi, and it will be stand alone at Parra Stadium. We owe those bastards one for last year so we'd be real confident. If it doesn't happen then it's a good chance of Balmain getting them in the stand alone semi if you can hold seventh.

brook

First Grade
jaw wired?
then who was that sitting on the bench with the knee brace? lol i'd assumed it was jeff but i didn't get a good look at his face...

haven't heard anything on small but i would assume its his ankle again - its possible they decided its not worth risking him because next week will be the real do or die match, in a way i'm almost glad he didn't play cause it forced mick harper to really stand up and be counted

B_Tiger

Juniors
tigers will have to beat or draw with souths next week I think. Not too hard but we all know Balmain.

B_Tiger

Juniors
just continuing the discussion from weststigers site, I don't understand why they keep charlie in the side. His size was definately good enough to warrant a trial but he has been hopeless this season and shouldn't be playing premier league. That said, he wasn't named on the program and there were a hell of a lot of injuries so maybe he isn't going to get another game as he wouldn't have played if injuries hadn't affected the side.

Bowman was terrific but I can't wait for Farah to come back. Maybe Bowman could be moved to 5/8??? Short of that he could simply be played off the bench in place of obst and do a much better job.

Obst was ok, not crap. But he should be dropped anyway. A better side would have run at him more. I remember the canberra game in canberra where Balmain where leading by 10 or so and dominating untill the raiders foccused on obst and tore balmain apart from there. He is too much of a liability for someone who rarely offers something on attack.

Tigerpete

Juniors
Was surprised to see Milton and Luland on the scoresheet, correct me if im wrong but both were not named midweek. Luke's goal kicking was the difference in the end. 8 goals to parra's 3!

Bald Tiger

Juniors
The team announced on Wednesday and the team that played was quite different. Why does that happen? Yes Luland and Milton played. Cupples, Small and a few others didnt.

brook

First Grade
B_Tiger said:
just continuing the discussion from weststigers site, I don't understand why they keep charlie in the side. His size was definately good enough to warrant a trial but he has been hopeless this season and shouldn't be playing premier league. That said, he wasn't named on the program and there were a hell of a lot of injuries so maybe he isn't going to get another game as he wouldn't have played if injuries hadn't affected the side.

Bowman was terrific but I can't wait for Farah to come back. Maybe Bowman could be moved to 5/8??? Short of that he could simply be played off the bench in place of obst and do a much better job.

agree 100% about charlie

I don't know what the club will do once robbie gets back but they will certainly have to find a way to keep leigh and farah both in the team, the obvious move would be farah to 5/8th but i would actually agree with you and try bowman there first - robbie is destined to be the first grade hooker and imo we need to find another position for leigh to play that gives him the hope of an eventual first grade spot if we want to keep him at the club...and i REALLY want to keep him

Mighty Tiger

Bench
Guys I have the same excuse as Brook for not cheering with you guys on the Hill. We where over on that side of the park but because no-one came down we walked across to the other side.

Count me in for the Saturday Afternoon game for sure, we will have to arrange accurate details this time ;-)

Well the late changes for Balmain really helped us in this game Heighnigton, Bowman, Luland and Milton all could hold their heads up high.

Charlie shouldn't play in the finals he is starting to remind me abit like Patterson :roll:

On the brawl well I don't know how Tonga didn't even get called out as I was sitting right infront of the brawl and he was the main instigator of the whole thing.

Bald Tiger

Juniors
Mighty and Brook: B_Tiger and I were not the guys chanting on the hill. We were sitting on the wall near them. We dont know who they are but they are very keen.

Mighty Tiger

Bench
Bald Tiger said:
Mighty and Brook: B_Tiger and I were not the guys chanting on the hill. We were sitting on the wall near them. We dont know who they are but they are very keen.

Were you the guys stopping the guy who was using the cardboard to slide down the hill? lol

DA

Juniors
Looking at the scorers, you guys were lucky their goal-kicker Ronald Prince was up in the NRL. He has been kicking masses of goals all season. Still, a win is a win. Great to see.

Bald Tiger

Juniors
True DA but they did have Hodgson kicking until he got injured. Cant remember who kicked for them after that.

Mighty Tiger

Bench
Bald Tiger said:
No that was B_Tiger sliding down the hill. Now that was great half-time entertainment.

LoL how many times did he hit the bin lol all we could hear on the other side was the crash lol