What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Great Parramatta Stadium moments: 2001, Eels Vs Dragons

PARRA_FAN

Coach
Just thought I'd refresh a lot of good memories

Of course 2001 was an unforgetable year for the Parramatta Eels, except the Grand Final, but most of the games Parramatta were brilliant and were a top classy side.

They showed that in the Round 22 clash against St.George-Illawarra, that had the likes of Barrett, Gasnier, Blacklock, Ryles, C Smith. A week earlier they put a dominating performance against Penrith, while Parramatta were too good for North Qld 62-0, with Jason Taylor becoming NRL's greatest pointscorer.

This was a tough encounter for the minor premiers who had a tough road ahead. This was going to be a great clash, especially in front of almost 25,000 on a Friday night.

It all started off well for the Eels, Parramatta hooker Brad Drew found a gap and darted from dummy half in his usual style. He then toed it through to find Jamie Lyon who pounced on it to score. Parramatta lead 4-0.

There were some good clashes between the two sides, Cayless and Ryles, Hindmarsh and Thompson, Gasnier and Lyon, and Jason Taylor stepped up as well. He set up Parramatta's second try, by barging through the Dragons defence and putting David Vaeliki inside to score. Parramatta lead 10-0.

The Dragons tried many times attacking at Parramatta's defensive, but it was the Eels incredible defence that stopped them from scoring many times, thanks to the likes of the Hindmarsh brothers, Wagon, Ryan and Cayless.

The Eels looked good once again, Brad Drew set up a pass to Hodgson who found Buettner and was certain to score before a trysaving tackle for the Dragons. Quickly they were set and had the numbers out wide 20 metres out. But Jason Taylor fooled everyone, throwing the dummy and putting a step on to score Parramatta's third try. What a game Taylor is having, he certainly turned the clock back 10 years in his days at Wests.
Parramatta lead 16-0.

After that the Dragons seemed tired and didnt aim up in defence, while in attack it was like touch football but were going nowhere. This sort of football lead to Parramatta's next try, after throwing the ball around a numerous times, Scott Donald intercepted a Blacklock flick pass to score, Parramatta lead 20-0.

The Dragons finally got some luck when Blacklock crossed over on the stroke of halftime, on the back of a penalty. At half time it was Parramatta leading 20-6, the 8th time in the season Parramatta had scored 20 points in the first half.

Just 3 minutes in the second half, the Parramatta defence opened up with vetran centre Paul McGregor crossing over which made the score 22-12, could there be a comeback in sight. :shock:

No chance after Parramatta got back to their best form, with a try to Jamie Lyon. It started with Andrew Ryan carrying the ball 40m from the Dragons line, almost held in the tackle Ryan flick passed it to Drew who sent Taylor into a gap. Taylor with only Ben Hornby in front of him, threw a long pass to Jamie Lyon out wide to score his second try. Parramatta lead 26-12.

Taylor is on fire, a week after he become rugby league's greatest pointscorer in history, he really shone to the occassion. He was brilliant in attack as well as his kicking game.

The Eels wrapped it up with another try thanks to Nathan Hindmarsh who pushed through the defence of the Dragons and raced 60 metres to score. Parramatta lead 32-12 with 21 minutes, and played defensive football for the rest of the game.

This was a magnificent effort from the Parramatta Eels, it was one of the best performances of the season, not just in attack but defence as well. They really held on the stop the Dragons from scoring several tries.

This is one of my favourite moments at Parramatta Stadium, more to come. :D

The Engineers Room

First Grade
It seems so long ago that this happened. Of the players named n this side so many are now gone and so is their form from that year.

Forum Idiot

Bench
:lol: i just watched this game on nrl.com. hoe good is nrl.com to put every game up since round 12 2001.
p.s. craig stapleton was playing in this game for st george :lol: sorry, craig.

fish eel

Immortal
The Newcastle match was my favourite.

It was the week after we beat Brisbane away to go to top spot.

The Engineers Room

First Grade
The Brisbane game was the turning point of the season and the defence in that game showed that we were destined to take the title...until we played that grand final.

That team would have to be the best side never to win the premiership!!

Mr_E

Juniors
I remember that one. My daughter was only 12 days old but I had won tickets to the Ray Price Lounge in a Contest at work. Couldn't pass that up, so I took the wife.

Great night.