What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Great Rugby League Business Decisions!!!

melon....

Coach
1) South Sydney allow Chris Walker to walk out of a 3 year deal after 5 games...the mistake?? They paid him 300K for the first year even though he didnt play there for most of it. Great Management??? No this is the kind of management that sends clubs broke.

2) Cronulla Sharks dismiss Coach Chris Anderson ina decision that will cost them over $1 million dollars in compensation. After 37 years of winning sweet f**k all, youd think Rogers and Co would have the sense and patience to fail for another year at least until Anderson's contract is up. Its not as if Premierships were banging down the Cronulla doors!! Another great business decision..THE KIND THAT MAKES CLUBS FOLD.

3) South Sydney again this time with the release clause in Craig Wing;'s contract, ensuring Wing is free to go if Souths fold, and they did once already remeber people?, but the Icing on the cake...Souths Juniors footed his first season's pay packet at the Roosters. Great Business decisions again by the Rabbitohs....slowly but surely dying for good.

4) Canberra Raiders release Todd Payten before contract is up. Todd is signed up by Easts with Canberra footing Todd's bill for 2003 Season. Thanks Raiders, a few more deals like that and you'll be playing in the Queanbeyan comp again.

Any others out ther??

And you think A Salary Cap rise is going to send clubs broke....Looks like clubs are doing that themselves.

hrundi99

First Grade
The Raiders were wasting their time with Payten and he was better away from the club, contract payments or not. He's not a tenth of the player Davico and Rhino are.

blacktip-reefy

Immortal
That would have to go down in history as the all time stupidest post ever.
This thread would win "topic of the year" on the embeciles forum.
Next time you try & construct a thread, try to find a little bit of fact, as there is zero here.

El Diablo

Post Whore
melon.... said:
2) Cronulla Sharks dismiss Coach Chris Anderson ina decision that will cost them over $1 million dollars in compensation. After 37 years of winning sweet f**k all, youd think Rogers and Co would have the sense and patience to fail for another year at least until Anderson's contract is up. Its not as if Premierships were banging down the Cronulla doors!! Another great business decision..THE KIND THAT MAKES CLUBS FOLD.

How do you know it "will"?

In-goal

Bench
Easts fans just don't worry about the salary cap, it's a case of tall popy syndrome.

If Souths at the lower end of the table asked for a larger salary cap people would say yes we do.

ibeme

First Grade
melon.... said:
1) South Sydney allow Chris Walker to walk out of a 3 year deal after 5 games...the mistake?? They paid him 300K for the first year even though he didnt play there for most of it. Great Management??? No this is the kind of management that sends clubs broke.

What would you have done? He wasn't performing and he didn't want to stay. Would you have insisted that he stay for the remainder of his contract whilst playing park football because his form and commitment was completely gone? That would have cost a lot more and done a lot more harm than paying out his first year contract.

melon.... said:

They issued three breach notices which their legal advisers have advised is all that is required to legally terminate the contract. If this is the case, it will not cost the Sharks a cent.

melon.... said:
3) South Sydney again this time with the release clause in Craig Wing;'s contract, ensuring Wing is free to go if Souths fold, and they did once already remeber people?, but the Icing on the cake...Souths Juniors footed his first season's pay packet at the Roosters. Great Business decisions again by the Rabbitohs....slowly but surely dying for good.

I don't know enough about this one to say too much, but I'd say Souths were guilty of counting their chooks before they'd hatched. I'd also be willing to speculate that the Roosters have done the same in falsely anticipating a rise in the salary cap.

melon.... said:
4) Canberra Raiders release Todd Payten before contract is up. Todd is signed up by Easts with Canberra footing Todd's bill for 2003 Season. Thanks Raiders, a few more deals like that and you'll be playing in the Queanbeyan comp again.

From memory, this was due to salary cap restraints. They preferred another player, but couldn't fit him under the cap. They bit the bullet, let Payton go, paying out his contract (which didn't count under the cap as he was no longer paying for them) and got a better player. They are much better off because of this decision.

melon.... said:
Any others out ther??

And you think A Salary Cap rise is going to send clubs broke....Looks like clubs are doing that themselves.

The biggest management stuff ups that I've wittnessed are the Bulldogs salary cap cheating, and now the Roosters salary cap debacle. Who's to say the Roosters aren't covering their backsides because they've negotiated player contracts based on the increase before the increase was ever voted on. This stuff up could lead to one of the biggest disasters in league history.

melon....

Coach
ibeme said:
melon.... said:

What would you have done? He wasn't performing and he didn't want to stay. Would you have insisted that he stay for the remainder of his contract whilst playing park football because his form and commitment was completely gone? That would have cost a lot more and done a lot more harm than paying out his first year contract.

melon.... said:

They issued three breach notices which their legal advisers have advised is all that is required to legally terminate the contract. If this is the case, it will not cost the Sharks a cent.

melon.... said:

I don't know enough about this one to say too much, but I'd say Souths were guilty of counting their chooks before they'd hatched. I'd also be willing to speculate that the Roosters have done the same in falsely anticipating a rise in the salary cap.

melon.... said:

From memory, this was due to salary cap restraints. They preferred another player, but couldn't fit him under the cap. They bit the bullet, let Payton go, paying out his contract (which didn't count under the cap as he was no longer paying for them) and got a better player. They are much better off because of this decision.

melon.... said:
Any others out ther??

The biggest management stuff ups that I've wittnessed are the Bulldogs salary cap cheating, and now the Roosters salary cap debacle. Who's to say the Roosters aren't covering their backsides because they've negotiated player contracts based on the increase before the increase was ever voted on. This stuff up could lead to one of the biggest disasters in league history.
LOL...It will cost Sharks in court fees alone, someting a struggling club shouldnt be wasting money on.

Regardless if Payten's payments were included in the cap, their contractual obligations mean they had to pay him money WHILST HE WASNT EVEN PLAYING FOR THEM. As for Souths, again bad contractual drafting allowed Wing to go AND made Souths pay for a percentage of his time to another club. Remember the clubs sign these contracts too, and for a little more nouse, they would be ensuring they close off such drastic loophole effects.

How about them Wests Tigers...paying Hill something like $600K? Thats a good buy!! LOL. And you wonder why vlubs go broke...THIS is why.

Simply put its bad management.

Melon, you forgot the big one! Super League. The only real scandel of the last 10 years which actually did send clubs broke and into oblivian because they couldn't handle the spiralling player payments.

Why'd you leave that out?

melon....

Coach
Danish Moo Cow said:
Melon, you forgot the big one! Super League. The only real scandel of the last 10 years which actually did send clubs broke and into oblivian because they couldn't handle the spiralling player payments.

Why'd you leave that out?
Because Super League has taken care of the clubs that it sent broke. You cant say that 7 years on, SL is still responsible for club's mismanaging themselves?? If they are still in the red, how can Wests justify Hill's salary. How can Souths keep making dumb decisions only superceeded by Cronulla's dumber decisions?

Super League was dumb...dont get me wrong, but not relevany\t in the context of this thread. We are talking about clubs sending themselves broke NOW. Wests and Souths got 12 million each from the NRL...WHERE IS IT!!!?? Give me 12 million Ill turn it into 40 million before you know it, not go broke. Its the old equivalent of 2 players winning Lotto. The first thing one does is buys property and sets himself up for a future. The other buys a World Trip, Ferrari, and a 60 foot yaught. then wonders why he's only got 20,000 left over. Its about management and getting your priorities right. Easts are a club that can survivce and have because of their business management being second to non. Souths Wests and Cronulla are "struggling" because they are hopeless in the boardroom as well as on the field. And the icing?? The cap has nothing to do with them struggling!!! Case closed.

thomo

Juniors
melon.... said:

Any others out ther??

1. It was closer to $130k and was money he had earned (i.e. from November to April/May). Personally, I think it was a great move - we saved $770k on a dud we no longer have to put up with for another 2 years. The dud decision that Souths management made was to sign an untried coach for 3 years without a performance clause straight after they had dismissed a coach for, you guessed it, bad performance.

2. I think the way the contract was drawn up was worse then the decision to get rid of Ando.

3. Not sure what you are getting at here. Are you suggesting that Souths should not have let Craig Wing play for anyone for 3 years if we were given the boot? I'm sure a player would have signed that if they knew we were in danger of being kicked out. :roll: In relation to Souths Juniors, they are a separate entity to the SSDRLFC.

4. Isn't Payten playing for the Tigers in 2004 with both the Raiders and the Roosters paying for part of his contract???

brook

First Grade
thomo said:
4. Isn't Payten playing for the Tigers in 2004 with both the Raiders and the Roosters paying for part of his contract???

Indeed he is - both teams released him with money owing so both teams are paying a percentage of his contract (bargain of the year for us)

I should also mention the bargain of last year in which Balmain got Luke Milton and Wests Trent Clayton for nothing as easts were paying both players contracts out

This year we've released both as easts no longer pay their bills and both are pretty crap but they were handy to have around when they are virtually playing for nothing

every club releases players with money owing at some stage or another and pays them out - including the roosters

(by the way I agree - the wests tigers deserve to be in the stupid business decisions list for terry hill and owen craigie ($350k a year to get fat and play reserve grade) at least)

ibeme

First Grade
brook said:
thomo said:

Indeed he is - both teams released him with money owing so both teams are paying a percentage of his contract (bargain of the year for us)

I should also mention the bargain of last year in which Balmain got Luke Milton and Wests Trent Clayton for nothing as easts were paying both players contracts out

This year we've released both as easts no longer pay their bills and both are pretty crap but they were handy to have around when they are virtually playing for nothing

every club releases players with money owing at some stage or another and pays them out - including the roosters

(by the way I agree - the wests tigers deserve to be in the stupid business decisions list for terry hill and owen craigie ($350k a year to get fat and play reserve grade) at least)

Well stick that in your pipe and smoke it melon. Those in glass houses....

Eddie.

Bench
The Tigers struggling is due to poor management, no doubt about it, and this is from a die hard tigers fan

Wasting 8 million in the first year :roll:

last 3 years were always going to be a write off only now are we recovering from stupid management

greeneyed

First Grade
Easts let Payten go because he wasn't worth the dollars under the cap, given the standard of his play, and are doing exactly what Canberra did for the same reasons. I say this with a fair bit of regret, as I think Payten (a Raiders junior) had a lot of potential and it has been wasted by a mix of inadequate management/coaching and not quite the effort required by the player. I hope he goes well at the Tigers. Anyway, if the Raiders' decision was bad management, the Roosters' have exactly the same problem.

Latest posts