What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Greatbatch steps into New Zealand coaching role

Benjitheking

Juniors
I enjoy how people say that Greatbatch is a average coach when you haven't even seen him coach and also please explain how Vettori and his two bestfriends are "holding us back" if anything they are keeping New Zealand cricket together at the moment

JJ

Immortal
I'd have preffered Wright, clearly the best option - but Vetorri didn't want him

Paddy is widely regarded as a great team man, and very passionate... he might be a good fit, as they don't want to rock the boat much... big plus is he's still close to Martin Crowe, who it seems will play a role in preparing the batsmen...

JB

Juniors
Ermmm, picking Broom over Styris because Styris is annoying in the dressing room?

Meh. I'd rather give the young guy who possibly will be on the scene for a while a chance to establish himself. If he cant do it against Bangladesh then we know he's no chance against the Aussies. We already know what Styris is capable of, so there's no harm in experimenting. Good move imo.

shiznit

Coach
Meh. I'd rather give the young guy who possibly will be on the scene for a while a chance to establish himself. If he cant do it against Bangladesh then we know he's no chance against the Aussies. We already know what Styris is capable of, so there's no harm in experimenting. Good move imo.
not to mention the fact the Broom is the form batsman in domestic cricket this season....

JJ

Immortal
the way Bangladesh are playing the Suburbs New Lynn U/15 team would towel them...

Guess Broom will get the test spot, I wouldn't mind Ingram having a run... glad Elliott is not available, hope he never gets near the test team again

Fast Eddie

First Grade
So the team is going to be something like

McIntosh
Ingram
Watling
Taylor
Guptill
Broom
McCullum
Vettori
Southee
Tuffey/McKay
Martin

JJ

Immortal
So the team is going to be something like

McIntosh
Ingram
Watling
Taylor
Guptill
Broom
McCullum
Vettori
Southee
Tuffey/McKay
Martin

be interesting... I like Guptill better at 5, and Broom and Ingram deserve a crack - given his footwork I wonder about having Ingram at 3... interesting to see if McKay plays

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
so how do you guys expect to go against the Aussies in the C/H ?

you tend to always do better in the ODI games against us than you do in the test matches

Fast Eddie

First Grade
Probably hold our own in the ODI's. Might sneak a series win. In the tests we'll go down 2-0 unless there is a bit of rain about. I just hope the some of the top order put some scores on the board.

And I think we should play McKay, just for some variation, a bit quicker and a left armer.

JJ

Immortal
so how do you guys expect to go against the Aussies in the C/H ?

you tend to always do better in the ODI games against us than you do in the test matches

We're still a good ODI side

Really a shame that Mills, and I guess Bond won't be fit - with those two and Vetorri we have an odi bowling side the equal of any. In retrospect, Bond's been playing deomestic one dayers, so I'd be disappointed if he doesn't play Aust - if he's physically fit, he's the man, regardless of domestic form

We'll compete and possibly win the series - much will depend on McCullum (who's been dry for a bit), Taylor (who's in tremendous nick) and Oram (who's also been lean until the other day)

should be a fun series

tests - we'll have a good session here and there... Taylor and Vetorri will score some runs, perhaps McCullum too... Vetorri will bowl tidily, get nobody out and everyone will say how great he is - and you will towel us

Last edited: