What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Greatest All Time Eel ?

Slimy Eel

Juniors
Happy New Year Fellow Eels fans.Here is an off season Question for you all :roll:
Who is your greatest all time Eel & why :?:
Mine is Ray Price, His endurance never say die attitude and success with the Eels is hard to match.

Stagger eel

Staff member
Ken Thornett
1962-68 & 1971
133 games
18 tries
8 f/g
NSW 1964 & 1966 [ 2 games]
Australia 1963-64 [12 tests]

Was the shining light in what was pretty lean decade in the 60's, he single handidly steared Parra to their first finals campain in 1964 and came back from the country to lead them to the semis again in 1971. apart from Ron Lynch, Bob Bugdon, Barry Rushworth and Brian Hambly it wasn't by any means a star studded line up, with just about all of you not around at the time to witness the great man play [including myself] just imagine Peter Sterling taking the eels to a 1990 semis campain and thats what 1964 was about.

Slimy Eel

Juniors
eelavation said:
Ken Thornett
1962-68 & 1971
133 games
18 tries
8 f/g
NSW 1964 & 1966 [ 2 games]
Australia 1963-64 [12 tests]

Was the shining light in what was pretty lean decade in the 60's, he single handidly steared Parra to their first finals campain in 1964 and came back from the country to lead them to the semis again in 1971. apart from Ron Lynch, Bob Bugdon, Barry Rushworth and Brian Hambly it wasn't by any means a star studded line up, with just about all of you not around at the time to witness the great man play [including myself] just imagine Peter Sterling taking the eels to a 1990 semis campain and thats what 1964 was about.
You left out Ken's brother Dick.I seen both Ken and Ray play & both are greats. Ray Price helped the Eels to their 1st Grand Final after years of the Eels being cellar dwellers.
How about the number man of the match he received playing for Australia and NSW let alone for the Eels. The fact he was in 4 Grand Final winning Eels sides, Captaining the last in 1986.as well as being in three other Grand Finals as runners up.suggest his influence on other players and overall skill and endurance was 2nd to none.

Of course Stu Galbraith :) Who could forget some of the memorable victories he engineered when we were down in the dumps in 93-94?

But what about Ian Jonhston? Parra's first ever Australian player!

The Worm

Juniors
My favourite player of all time was Brett Kenny. His slippery skills were outstanding. I rate his dummy to Phil Sigsworth and the following try in the 81 GF as the best moment of my life. (Followed closely by witnessing the births of my children)

The Colonel

Immortal
I've got to say that while I hold the great Eels in high regard I reckon the greatest Eels were the "lesser names" - Steve Sharp, Paul Taylor, Billy Rayner, Ray Higgs, Ian Johnstone, Ron Hilditch, Mark Laurie, "The Bookends" Bugden and Leabetter, Stan Jurd. A lot of them could just as well have been sitting in the stands with us.... they're the ones that made the big names big

eels1986

Juniors
The one and only P. Sterling. Sterling had everything. I still rate him the best halfback ever.

Freak

Juniors
So many greats to choose from, but if you could only pick one it would have to be Sterling!!

A close 2nd IMO would be The Crow!!

Redback71

First Grade
seriously though i reckon Jason Taylor although only with us for 1 year i honestly believe he was behind the success of 2001 (look how crap we went when he retired) and if he had continued to play for us who knows what the last couple of years would have turned out like.

and we must not forget about Hindy and Sterlo.

Slimy Eel

Juniors
The Worm said:
My favourite player of all time was Brett Kenny. His slippery skills were outstanding. I rate his dummy to Phil Sigsworth and the following try in the 81 GF as the best moment of my life. (Followed closely by witnessing the births of my children)
Yes this was one of the greatest moments, I remember I had tears of joy. By the way another great thing about Pricey was his hatred for the bulldogs :twisted: He went out a winner and a legion in my books. 8)

Avenger

Immortal
Ray Price (daylight second)

In the 70's through Price, Parramatta earnt respect.
In the 80's through Price, Parramatta demanded respect.

Enough said.

redeel

Juniors
Price, sterlo, kenny, Grthe,and the tiniest of players ever for parra John Kolc this guy was seriously tiny but still mixed it with the big guys, and was hardly ever missing week in week out a true hero in my opinion. :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
and zip zip , man looking back what an awsome team that was in the 80's size ,skill and power :mrgreen: AWSOME

Latest posts